Poznan Restaurants

My sandwich with pork and fries
    by HORSCHECK
  • Restauracja Rooster: Lipton Ice Tea Peach
    Restauracja Rooster: Lipton Ice Tea...
    by HORSCHECK
  • Restaurants
    by bonio

Best Rated Restaurants in Poznan

• marishabandb's Profile Photo

FIGARO: Seafood is excellent

by marishabandb Updated Apr 19, 2003

The Italian chef at Figaro guarantees excellent food and wine, blended into a lovely romantic atmosphere.

It's also popular with family and business parties too.

The presentation and service are superb.

Favorite Dish: Fish, seafood and shellfish are excellent.

Figaro Restaurant

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Warung Bali: Superb Indonesian food near Stary Rynek

by SWFC_Fan Updated Aug 2, 2010

My girlfriend and I ate at Warung Bali one afternoon during our visit to Poznan in May 2010.

This Indonesian restaurant received a glowing recommendation in our “In Your Pocket” guidebook and, as we’re always keen to sample new cuisines, we decided to give it a try.

Warung Bali enjoys a central location, on Ul Zydowska, just a few steps from Stary Rynek, the city’s main square.

A lot of effort has been made to furnish and decorate the interior in traditional Balinese style. There are straw table mats, flowers and candles on the tables, large decorative fans and ornate wooden carvings and decorations galore on the windows and walls.

The restaurant wasn’t very busy when we arrived, although this might have been due to the fact that we were eating early (around 5pm). The friendly and attentive staff showed us to a table and presented us with menus that showed the Indonesian name of the dish, followed by descriptions in both Polish and English along with accompanying photos. This made it much easier for us to choose from the various unfamiliar sounding dishes on offer.

With the aid of the translations and photos, many of the dishes were more familiar than we first imagined. The starters selection included Indonesian spring rolls (vegetarian, meat and shrimp options), beef and coconut soup, fried dumplings and calamari in chilli sauce. Main dishes included chicken, beef and rabbit satay and a variety of chicken/beef/pork/prawn options in sweet and sour, black pepper and Padang sauces, accompanied by rice or noodles, vegetables and Indonesian crackers.

The full menu (complete with pictures) is available in PDF format on the restaurant’s website HERE.

I opted for:

”Mie Goreng Spesial" - Cost: 32 Zl / 7 GBP

A large portion of fried noodles containing egg, chicken, beef, large prawns and vegetables.

This was accompanied by two very tasty skewers of chicken satay in an extremely peanuty sauce, as well as strands of omelet, Indonesian crackers and a mixture of cucumber and chillis. It was also accompanied by a tasty substance that I didn’t recognise. It’s something that I’ve had in Asian restaurants before, often sprinkled on seaweed, is brown, sweet and has a texture somewhere between ground ginger and candy floss. When we asked the waitress, she referred to it as “sweet beef”, but I haven’t been able to ascertain its real name.

This was a very enjoyable dish. The food was well cooked and there were plenty of contrasting tastes to enjoy.

For dessert, I had:

”Rujak” - Cost: 18 Zl / 3.5 GBP

This was described on the menu as Balinese fruit salad with chilli palm sugar.

The contrasting flavours of hot chilli and fresh fruit really appealed to me.

The waiter asked whether I would like it spicy or VERY spicy. Would I like it “European spicy” or “Asian spicy”? The gauntlet had been thrown down, so I told him I’d go for the latter; the spicier the better!

As I waited for it to arrive, I started to question the wisdom of that decision. After my first mouthful, I was really beginning to wish I hadn’t acted with such bravado! The spicy chilli sauce numbed my tongue and brought tears to my eyes. I soon got used to it though and managed to eat the whole dish full. Underneath the potent chilli sauce were copious amounts of pineapple, mango, kiwi, melon and watermelon.

This dessert was (quite literally!) breathtaking. I would highly recommend anybody visiting Warung Bali to give it a try…and to tell the waiter you want it spicy!

Warung Bali offers a great choice of soft drinks, fresh fruit juices, beers, wines and hot beverages. The choice of beers includes bottled Indonesian, Thai and Singaporean beers, but I opted instead for a 500ml draught Tyskie at 7 Zl / 1.50 GBP.

Emma opted for:

”Ayam Asam Manis - Cost: 24 Zl / 5 GBP

Chicken in a sweet and sour sauce, accompanied by steamed rice, Indonesian crackers and mixed vegetables.

”Lemper Kelapa” - Cost: 15 Zl / 3 GBP

Coconut rice wrapped in palm leaves. Three large palm leaves crammed full of sweet, sticky, coconut-flavoured rice.

Emma enjoyed this at first, but it became a little sickly after a while. I tried it and would agree that it is best eaten in small quantities. Very nice, but only in moderation.

If you asked Emma her favourite thing about this restaurant, I could almost guarantee that she would tell you that it was the ”Teh Tarik”: Malaysian pulled tea (Cost: 8 Zl / 1.60 GBP) that she had to drink. This concoction of black tea and condensed milk is “pulled” between two containers to make it frothy and to help cool it down. It tasted similar to a chai latte.

We asked the waitress where we could get hold of some Malaysian pulled tea, but she informed us that they had imported it from neighbouring Germany.

Excellent Indonesian food in the heart of Poznan. I strongly urge you to try the fruit salad with chilli sauce, while Emma would no doubt insist that you sample the Malaysian pulled tea. Highly recommended!

Warung Bali Indonesian Restaurant, Poznan Interior decor at Warung Bali, Poland Balinese fruit salad and chilli palm sugar

• jonathanbarker's Profile Photo

Liberum Veto (Pijalna): A local pub in Poznan

by jonathanbarker Written Aug 5, 2012

I was visiting Poznan in August and looking for a place to have an evening drink. I was walking along Zydowska ulica, when I heard POLISH (contemparary) music coming out through the door, so I entered & was made welcome by the bar maid, who was a student and spoke/understood English. I tried the local beer, Midowe Lubiskie & Specjal Jasny Pelny, and I enjoyed the company of the locals I returned the following evening.

Favorite Dish: I only tried the beers, Midowe Lubiskie (made with honey) and Specjal Jasny, but was very impressed with them. The prices were lower than those charged by the touristy pavement cafe/bars in Rynek

• Singles
    • Study Abroad

• aylar's Profile Photo

BROVARIA: Home made beer

by aylar Written May 20, 2005

A renewed building in Stary Rynek. It is also a hotel having 17 rooms. I did not stayed there but visited the rooms. The front rooms looking over to the square is very good. Next time in Poznan I will stay there.
    The restaurant is large and well aqustic. Air condition is well working. You can watch a consert on a wide screen.

Favorite Dish: Having all types of dishes, local and others. I prefer to have their home made beer.

Mykonos Grecka Tawerna: Greek food

by xdescendx Updated Jun 10, 2009

This is decent food. It's situated just a few blocks from the stary rynek. The food is good, but nothing special. There's another Greek restaurant that's much better if you crave Greek.

Favorite Dish: I would recommend the Fileto Scharas

• Wine Tasting

• bonio's Profile Photo

Chatka Babuni: Pirogi heaven!

by bonio Written Apr 16, 2012

Pretty much everything on the menu here is pierogi, now that's good for us!
    Both had fantastic meals here, I didn't know there were so many fillings to choose from, finally went for chicken curry, lovely!
    Very busy on our Sunday evening visit, so, looks a very popular lpace and rightly so, enjoyed ourselves here.

• Gospoda Mlynskie Kolo: Excellent

by MrOscar Updated Dec 2, 2010

It is a wooden mansion actually but the restaurant serves traditional food taste amazingly delicious... What I have tasted was well cooked Beef with some garlic sauce and cheese ( I am actually not a cheese lover) but perfect taste.... Potatoes were yummy...I appreciate the cook for nice food, the girl who has served was kind and friendly... Traditional Polish style decoration where plenty of seats comfortably...

The Decorated Entrance for Christmas Peaceful
    • Architecture

• SapineKuu's Profile Photo

Dining alfresco

by SapineKuu Updated Apr 24, 2008

I came across this food stall whilst out walking towards the cathedral. It had a number of hot dishes cooking and all smelt delicious. I opted for a sort of stew perhaps 'gulasz z iagniecia'? It was served with a big piece of bread and was very enjoyable.
    I then visited another stall nearby for a quite potent drink I think called 'Grzane'

Great Food & Friendly Service Drink Me!

• aylar's Profile Photo

Pod Pretekstem: Ice cream

by aylar Written Jun 3, 2005

Fantastic ambience, just behind the Zamek building, if you are lucky you may listen to live music.
    Open 09.00 - 24.00

Favorite Dish: I don' t have a favorite dish but I recommend you to taste the "grandma Veronica's cake" and "Mata Hari ice cream".

Pieprz & Wanilia: Pieprz & Wanilia

by bonio Written Apr 11, 2012

Pieprz & Wanilia, lovely, busy, restaurant and good tasty food, just out of the city centre and discovered by accident - often the best places are!
    It's downstairs and very comfortable we thought.
    Good veggie choices for Mrs B and a large chicken steak for me served with potatoes and fantastic fresh vegetables.
    Wish we had room for a dessert, they looked really tempting but...
    Enjoyed our short visit here.

• bonio's Profile Photo

Ceska Hospoda: Good Czech food (and beer)

by bonio Written Apr 13, 2012

Now, I don't suppose that Poznan is the obvious place to try Czech cooking! This restaurant on the edge of the city centre is a great place to visit.
    Unusually for us we visited twice, we rarely go back to anywhere, and enjoyed our food each time. Vegetarian goulash with dumplings is terrific.
    Also has a large and interesting wine list but as both our visits were at lunch time we went for a decent unfiltered Czech beer, Bernard, which certainly was good too.
    Comfortable and very friendly place, menu in English (other languages too) and reasonable prices.
    If I lived in Poznan this could well be my local!

Brovaria: Brovaria

by bonio Written Apr 16, 2012

Brewery restaurant and also our hotel, so, guaranteed a visit! Having to pass by one of the bars to reach our room proved impossible to us most times, actually several visits!
    Anyway it's a smart place with several areas to choose from, particularly enjoyed the upstairs part ourselves.
    Food we tried was pretty good, Mrs B loved the mushrooms as ever and the beer brewed just behind us certainly up to scratch. Tried both a pils and honey beer, the latter very like a märzen, enjoyed!

• kukaracza's Profile Photo

Stara Ratuszowa: Stara Ratuszowa

by kukaracza Written Aug 26, 2002

It's unique athmosphere is made up of marvellous placement in the basement of the buildings surrounding The Old Market Square, friendly service and cuisine

Favorite Dish: They have delicious potatoes with cottage cheese, which is a tipical poznanian dish.

• xdescendx's Profile Photo

Kriek Belgian Pub & Cafe: Great Belgian beer right in Poznan!

by xdescendx Written Jun 1, 2010

Kriek Belgian Pub & Cafe offers over 120 different Belgian beers and they each come in a custom glass made for that beer. They also have a menu with a great variety of snacks (fries-ice cream-Belgian pralines), teas and coffees.

The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. They will help you make a choice if you're unsure which of the 120 you want to try :) I can assure you that you won't be disappointed.

For those in need to be "connected"; they do have Wi-Fi access. I've also seen them playing football (soccer) on a PS3. Not seeing the controllers...I actually thought there was a live match...lol

Also, if you go up to the counter, they have a helpful Night/Day guide with a map (been to Poz 8-9 times and this is the first I've seen one of these) Very helpful!

Favorite Dish: My favorites were the Tripel Karmeliet and the Kwak

Kwak Tripel Karmeliet

Restauracja Grecka Artemis Zakynthos: New even better Greek Restaurant

by xdescendx Updated Mar 31, 2009

The food here is fresh and fantastic. Everything is made to order and the staff is very pleasant. The chef Artemis is extremely friendly and will usually come out to greet the guests, which in my book is a big plus. This restaurant is also priced below most of the restaurants in the area and the food is much better IMO.

Favorite Dish: I liked the grilled seafood platter w/ Prawns, giant prawns, mussles, grilled octopus and calamari.
    If you order anything, please..please..please order the spinach. It is so tasty!!!

Instant Answers: Poznan

Comments

Poznan Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Poznan restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Poznan sightseeing.