The Franciscan Church (Kosciol Franciszkanow) was erected between 1674 and 1728 in late-Baroque style.
It has two beautiful chapels at the beginning of the nave.
Also the interior is richly ornamented and decorated with carved wood, stuccowork and paintings.
In the basement of the church the Poznan Model (Makieta Poznania) can be found. It is a scale model of the city in the middle ages.
The Franciscan Church can be found at the street ul. Franciszkañska 2 in the vicinity of the Old Market Square (Stary Rynek).
Address: Franciscan Church, ul. Franciszkanska 2, Poznan
The Imperial Castle (Zamek Cesarski) was constructed between 1905 and 1910 after designs of the German architect Franz Schwechten.
The neo-Romanesque building is actually more a palace than a castle. It was used for government offices of the Germans (until 1918 and during WWII) and the Poles (1918-1939, 1945-present).
Nowadays it is also home to a Centre of Culture and recently the June 1956 Uprising Museum.
In the Imperial Park behind the castle stands a monument which commemorates the thousands Polish officers who were massacred at Katyn by the Red Army.
The Imperial Castle can be found at the street ul. Swiety Marcin 80/82, which is one of the main streets leading from the city centre to the west.
Address: Imperial Castle, ul. Swiety Marcin 80/82, Poznan
Stary Marych is a fictious but typcial citizen of Poznan.
The character was created by the actor Marian Pogasz for a local radio programme, where Stary Marych told short stories about daily life as well as about politics in a local accent.
The bronze statue of Stary Marych and his bicycle was erected in 2001.
The Statue of Stary Marych stands in the Wiosny Ludow Square, which is located at the northern end of the pedestrianised shopping street Polwiejska.
The Old Town Hall (Ratusz) was built in the middle of the 16th century. Due to several disasters including heavy bombings during WWII, not much of the original building survived until today. Nowadays the Old Town Hall is home to the Museum of the History of Poznan.
Everyday at noon two metal goats show up above the large town hall clock and clash their horns. On special days even a bugle-call is performed live by a trumpeter from the tower.
The Old Town Hall is most important building on the Old Market Square (Stary Rynek), so it can't be missed.
Address: Old Town Hall, Stary Rynek 1, Poznan
The June 1956 Uprising Monument (Pomnik Poznanskiego Czerwca 1956) commorates the more than 70 victims of the first anti-communism demonstrations in Poland.
It could only be erected in 1981, about 25 years after the tragic events.
The momument consists of two large crosses, one of them carries the year date 1956, while the other one shows later year dates of anti-communism demonstrations.
The June 1956 Uprising Monument can be found on the Adam Mickiewicz Sqaure (pl. Mickiewicza), just about 1 km west of the Old Market Square (Stary Rynek).
Address: June 1956 Uprising Monument, pl. Mickiewicza, Poznan
The Baroque facade of the Church of St. Francis of Assisi (Kosciol Sw. Franciszka z Asyzu) is dominated by the two 69 metres tall towers.
The church was erected between 1661and 1668. Unfortunately it was seriously damaged during WWII, so that nowadays the interior mainly consists of replicas.
The Church of St. Francis of Assisi is situated south east of the city centre at the street ul. Garbary near the square pl. Bernardynski.
Address: Church of St. Francis of Assisi, ul. Garbary 22, Poznan
The Neo-Baroque Collegium Maius was built between 1905 and 1908 as the seat for the Prussian parliament.
Later in 1920 it was taken over by the university of Poznan.
During WWII it was home to the Nazi Secret State Police. During this time Polish scouts entered the building and put the Polish flag on top of the building.
This action is commemorated by a plaque at the main facade near the entrance of the building.
The Collegium Maius can be found at the street. ul. A. Fredry 10 just next to the Grand Theatre and Opera House. Both buildings are situated about 1 km west of the Old Market Square (Stary Rynek).
Address: Collegium Maius, ul. A. Fredry 10, Poznan
This Dutch Renaissance style building was completed in 1910 as the seat for the Prussian Royal Academy. It was taken over by the Adam Mickiewicz University in 1919.
Nowadays the University Aula (Aula Uniwersytecka) serves as a concert hall for the Poznan Philamonic Orchestra.
The University Aula can be found on the Adam Mickiewicz Sqaure (pl. Mickiewicza), just about 1 km west of the Old Market Square (Stary Rynek).
Address: University Aula, pl. Mickiewicza 1, Poznan
The first mention of city walls in Poznan can be found in a document from the end of the 13th century.
Since then the fortification system of the city was changed several times. Only a few remains of the old city walls still exist.
Parts of the old city walls can be found a bit north of the Old Market Square (Stary Rynek), in the area between the streets ul. 23 Lutego, ul. Masztalarska and ul Wolnica.
The Town Hall is a real pearl in Poznan's architecture. Poznan started to build its houses of stone in the end of XIII century. One of the first stone buildings - the Town Hall (Domus Konsulum). First it was low, two-storeyed building. Then it was completed by the tower which became the symbol of independence of the city.
In due course the building burned down, and authorities addressed to Italian architect Jan Quadro with the request to construct a new building. The construction proceeded 10 years, since 1550. As a result the Town Hall got features which we can see today. Arcades of loggias and Renaissance forms put it in the line with the best European buildings in Renaissance style. However the Town Hall was reconstructed many times. The building was decorated with a high spike. The 90-meter building admired visitors. But the hurricane of 1725 destroyed the spike. After restoration the Town Hall decreased to 61 m.
The two-meter eagle which was placed in the same century on the edge of the spike, went successfully through all historical troubles and till now remains one of the symbols of the city. The Museum of history of the city settles down now in the building of the Town Hall which is deservedly named the most interesting and valuable secular monument of Poznan.
The former merchant houses were probably built around 1535 on a site of previous wooden houses. In the middle ages all sorts of commodities, such as salt, candles and binders were traded here.
After the destructions of WWII the merchant houses were built in Renaissance style. Nowadays the colourful buildings are home to souvenir and crafts shops.
The former merchant houses can be found at the Old Market Square (Stary Rynek), just south of the Old Town Hall.
Address: Merchant Houses, Stary Rynek, Poznan
One of the most impressive churches of Poznan is the Parish Church of St. Stanislaus (Kosciol Farny Sw. Stanislawa Biskupa).
The Baroque church was constructed by the Jesuit Order and consecrated in 1705. Also the interior with its numerous frescoes and richly decorated altars is of Baroque style.
The Parish Church of St. Stanislaus is located in the neigbourhood of the former Jesuit College, just south of the Old Market Square.
Address: Parish Church of St. Stanislaus, ul. Golebia 1, Poznan
We found the Queen of Holy Rosary Church more by chance than on purpose. Actually we were looking for the Monument of the Polish Underground State and Home Army, which is located opposite to the church.
The Queen of Holy Roses Church is also known as Church of the Dominicans, as it belongs to the Dominican Order. The construction of the church started in 1937 but was discontinued by WWII. It was finally compled in 1960 and consecrated in 1997.
The Queen of Holy Roses Church is situated west of the city centre, somewhere behind the Grand Theatre, at the street corner of Libelta and Al. Niepodleglosci.
The coloration of the Parish House (above) was a very distinctive and unexpected coral and white. It seemed to influence the buildings adjacent to it on the same street. Almost as unexpected as the colors was the spectacular and elaborate buildings located on this narrow back street which shared the same colors.
The former Jesuit College (Kolegium Jezuickie) was founded in Poznan in the late 16th century. The history of the current building complex dates back to the first half of the 18th century.
After the closure of the college in the late 18th century, it served for various purposes, even Napoleon Bonaparte lived here.
At present it is home to the municipal authorities.
The former Jesuit College is located in the neigbourhood of the Parish Church of St. Stanislaus, just south of the Old Market Square (Stary Rynek).
Address: Former Jesuit College, ul. Golebia 8, Poznan