Szczecin Things to Do

  • Things to Do
    by J4r0
  • Things to Do
    by J4r0
  • Things to Do
    by J4r0

Most Recent Things to Do in Szczecin

  • Rupanworld's Profile Photo

    Gothic architecture

    by Rupanworld Written Jun 2, 2009

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The city of Szczecin is on the European Route of Brick Gothic (containing 31 cities across 7 european countries, viz., Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia). This route links all the cities have remarkable gothic architecture. So for those interested in such architectural style, visiting Szczecin is definitely a must.

    Was this review helpful?

  • Go to the Cinema in Szczecin

    by arek_szczecin Updated Feb 18, 2009

    When you are in Szczecin, you can visit one of a number of cinemas, including the Pionier cinema, which is the oldest one in the world. The cinema addresses and their current schedules can be found at the local cinema information website.

    Related to:
    • Family Travel
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • J4r0's Profile Photo

    Baroque city gates

    by J4r0 Written Jul 24, 2008

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    There are two Baroque city gates in Szczecin. They are the remnants of massive Prussian fortification which surrounded the city until 1873.

    HARBOUR GATE (pol. BRAMA PORTOWA)
    The Baroque Harbour Gate (by 1945 Berliner Tor) was designed by Gerhard Cornelius van Wallrave (the gate itself) and Bartolome Damart (decorative sculptures) and erected between 1725 and 1727.

    The Gate is very richly decorated. Above the passage, there are two sculptures of angels playing trumpets; between them there is the shield with the monogram of the king Friedrich Wilhelm I at it. Above, there is the bas-relief depicting the panorama of Szczecin and the god of river Odra, Viadrus. At the top of the Gate, there is an oval shield with the coat of arms of Prussia and the royal crown.

    Between 1904 and 1930, in front of the Gate there was the fountain of the sea-godess Amphitrite designed by Reinhold Felderhoff. Due to the protest of some puritanical citizens, the monument was dismantled and stored in the museum at Wały Chrobrego. During the war, the sculpture was lost.

    During the World War 2, in order to prevent them from being destroyed, the decorations were dismantled and hidden in the Arkoński Forest (by 1945 Eckerberger Wald). They were found not earlier than in 1957.

    ROYAL GATE (pol. BRAMA KROLEWSKA)
    The Baroque Royal Gate (by 1945 Königs-Tor) stands in the South end of Hołdu Pruskiego Square (by 1945 Am Königs-Tor). It was designed by Gerhard Cornelius van Wallrave (the gate itself) and Bartolome Damart (decorative sculptures) and erected between 1725 and 1728. In the very beginning, was called the Anklam Gate (ger. Anklamer Tor), named after the town of Anklam.

    The sculptures located at the gate portray Mars with sword and shield, Hercules with club and lion's skin as well as arms, armours, shields and flags.

    In front of the gate you will find a richly decorated street lamp made in 1895, the only one of that kind preserved in Szczecin.

    The Gate was renovated in 1994. Since 2000, "Brama Jazz Cafe" has been run there.

    Royal Gate Harbour Gate Harbour Gate - sculpture of the god Viadrus Harbour Gate - sculptures of angels
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • J4r0's Profile Photo

    Maiden Tower / Seven

    by J4r0 Written Jul 24, 2008

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Maiden Tower (by 1945 Frauenturm) is a remnant of the Mediaeval fortifications of Szczecin. Its name comes from the Cistercian nunnery which was located next to the city wall. Another common name of the building is the Tower of Seven Coats (by 1945 Sieben Mäntel Turm). According to the legend, duke Bogusław X ordered Heinrich, a master taylor, to make seven coats for the duchess Anna Jagiellonka. When it appeared that the taylor had embezzled the material entrusted to him, he was sentenced to death and imprisoned in the tower where he was to await for the execution. Due to the legend, this led to the riots and, as a result, the duke released the taylor and only banished him from the city.

    Until 1723, the tower served as the prison. Between 1724 and 1740, the Mediaeval city walls were demolished and replaced with modern fortifications erected by the Prussian authorities. After some time, the tower was surrounded with the tenement houses and literally forgotten. On the turn of the 19th and 20th century, its upper parts were demolished, and the tower was superstructured with an octagonal tenement house.

    In 1944, the whole area was destroyed in air raids carried out by the Allied Forces. The uncovered part of the tower was secured against further devastation. The restoration ended in 1964. The upper parts of the building were reconstructed accordingly to the available iconography.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • J4r0's Profile Photo

    The Rose Garden/Rozanka

    by J4r0 Written Jul 24, 2008

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Rozanka (by 1945 Rosengarten) is the rose garden founded in 1928 to commemorate the World Gardening Exhibition. Until 1970s it was among the best known recreation areas in Szczecin. Back then, due to the lack of funds, the garden was neglected. It was totally devastated after the municipality gave it to the Roman Catholic Church in 1983.

    In 2005, the City of Szczecin managed to regain the garden from the Church. Between 2006 and 2007, the garden was recreated according to the project designed by Małgorzata Haas-Nogal. As a result, Rozanka was restored to its 1930s' shape.

    In the garden, you can see the Modernistic fountain, "The Bird Well" (by 1945 Vogelbrunnen), made in 1934 by Kurt Schwerdtfeger. Rebuilding of the Bird Well was the part of the recreation process. Out of four concrete-carved wild geese, three are the original work of Schwerdtfeger; the fourth one had to be re-sculpted.

    Please note that riding bikes in the Rose Garden is forbidden.
    Today, there are 97 varieties of roses in Rozanka.

    Related to:
    • Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
    • Hiking and Walking

    Was this review helpful?

  • J4r0's Profile Photo

    The White Eagle Fountain / Curse of the willows

    by J4r0 Written Jul 24, 2008

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Baroque White Eagle Fountain was designed by Johann Friedrich Grael and sculptured in the sandstone between 1730 and 1732 (according to other sources: 1729 and 1732) by Johann Conrad Koch. Originally, it was located at the end of pipes bringing water to the city from Warszewskie Hills. It is located at Orła Białego Square (White Eagle Square; by 1945 Roβmarkt). Its bowl is trefoil-shaped, and on each side of the pedestal, there is one head from whose mouth the water flows. At the top of the fountain, there is a huge white eagle with the crowned head, wings spread wide and water flowing out from its beak.

    Originally, the fountain was situated North comparing to its today's location, closer to Koński Kierat Street (by 1945 Roβmarktstrasse). In 1866, it was moved to its current position. During the World War 2, the fountain was not damaged. It was activated again in July 1945.

    Between 1990 and 1992, and in 2005, the fountain was thoroughly renovated. During the second renovation, two fourty-year-old weeping willows, which were said to damage the historic monument with their roots (later appeared that it was not true), were cut down. Due to the sequence of accidental coincidences (for example, the fountain mechanism broke down shortly after it was initiated), rumours of the "curse of the willows" appeared.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • J4r0's Profile Photo

    The Loitzs' Mansion

    by J4r0 Written Jul 24, 2008

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Gothic tenement house at Kurkowa Street (by 1945 Loytzenhof) was built for Hans Loitz between 1539 and 1547; it was erected on the building plot purchased from Albrecht Hohenholz. The Loitzs (the German form of the "Łozic" surname) were the influential family of merchants and bankers. Among their customers were Polish kings from the Jagiellon dynasty (funds granted by the Loitz family were used for such purposes as the development of Polish fleet). When this dynasty died out in 1572, the Loitz family went bankrupt and its members fled to Gdańsk and then to Cracow. Their mansion was taken over by the duke; after the Pomeranian Griffith dynasty died out, the building became the seat of the Swedish counsellor, Rosenhandt.

    In the 18th century (according to other sources: 19th century), the mansion was redeveloped by Dubendorf brothers. As a result, the decorative top part of the building was destroyed, and the interior was ravaged. Starting from that time, due to the new owners' nationality, the building was referred to as the "Swiss Mansion" (ger. Schweizerhof).

    In 1944, the building was burnt down in an air raid launched by the Allied Forces. The tenement house was rebuilt in 1955 (according to other sources: 1958 or 1961). Today it is the seat of the State High School of Arts.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • J4r0's Profile Photo

    St. James' Basilica

    by J4r0 Updated Jul 21, 2008

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    St. James' Archcathedral Basilica (by 1945 Jakobi-Kirche, between 1945 and 1972 st. James' Church, between 1972 and 1983 st. James' Cathedral, between 1983 and 1992 st. James' Cathedral Basilica) is the biggest church in Szczecin and the second tallest church in Poland (110-metre-tall tower). It is located on Św. Jakuba Street (by 1945 Jakobikirchhof).

    The church was founded in 1187 by Beringer of Bamberg. The two-tower-basilican church, initially Romanesque, was being developed till the 14th century. Among the architects in charge, there was Heinrich Brunsberg.

    In 1456, the Southern tower collapsed due to the hurricane, destroying part of the church. During the reconstruction (the architect in charge was Johann Benecke), completed in 1503, an one-tower-layout was implemented, also, the whole church was remodelled.

    In 1677, during the war between Sweden and Prussia, the church was burned together with the Medieval spire on the tower. During the reconstruction, it was decorated in the Baroque manner.

    In 1893, the complex renovation process was launched. Its part was the spire reconstruction financed by Karl Gerber. The first approach was a complete disaster - in 1894 whole construction was blown off during the windstorm. Finally, the renovation ended in 1901. The tower was 119-metre-tall then.

    In the night between the 16th and 17th August 1944, during the air raid launched by the Allied Forces, the church was bombed. The damage level was gigantic: Northern wall completely demolished, tower structure broken, inside burnt down, spire destroyed. The Baroque organs, removed before the air raid, have never returned to Szczecin (and nobody knows what happened to them).

    After the World War 2, the communist authorities were not willing to allow the reconstruction of the church. The building was saved thanks to the heritage conservator Stefan Kwilecki, who presented the cost calculation clearly showing that demolishing the church would cost much more than rebuilding it. As a result, in 1971 the reconstruction works, according to the project prepared by the architect Stanisław Latour, started. They took 3 years, until 1974. Due to the safety reasons they decided not to rebuild the spire on the damaged tower. It was crowned with the low, tent-shape roof, which caused the tower to be only about 60 metres tall. The Northern wall was rebuilt in the very controversial manner, it looks almost industrial. The monument of Carl Loewe, which, by 1944, was standing in front of the church, has not been redesigned.

    Between 2006 and 2008, another renovation took place. The flooring and heating system were replaced, new organs were built and (after the tower structure had been strenghtened) the spire was redesigned.

    In front of the cathedral, you will see the sculpture of Virgin Mary, made by Czesław Dźwigaj, and the "St. James" bell casted in 1681 by Laurentius Kökeritz.

    Related to:
    • Religious Travel
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • J4r0's Profile Photo

    Waly Chrobrego

    by J4r0 Updated Jul 21, 2008

    4 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Wały Chrobrego (by 1945 Hakenterasse) was built between 1901 and 1921 in the area called the "Lower Wieck" (by 1945 Unterwieck), replacing the Leopold's Fort liquidated in 1873. Wały Chrobrego is the 500-metre-long terrace running along river Odra, built up with monumental buildings. This whole area is considered the life's work of Hermann Haken, the overmayor of Szczecin between 1878 and 1907. Willing to express their appreciation, the municipal council decided in 1903 that it should be called the "Haken's Terraces".

    Both the terrace and the Marine Museum were designed by Wilhelm Meyer-Schwartau. The today's seat of the Voivodeship Office was designed by paul Kieschke, and the seat of the Marine Academy - by Emil Drews (the Southern building) and Richard Osterwold (the Northern building). Furthermore, at Wały Chrobrego you will also find two pavilions, the viewing terrace with the sculpture of the "Centaur Fighting the Lapith" by Ludwig Manzel, the spectacular fountain and monumental stairs. The side walls of the viewing terrace are decorated with the coats of arms of Pomeranian cities. By the fountain, there are two candelabra.

    The Marine Museum Sailing vessels at the embankment Waly Chrobrego in the evening The seat of autorithies of the province Sailing vessels at the embankment
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Theater Travel
    • Museum Visits

    Was this review helpful?

  • J4r0's Profile Photo

    The Castle

    by J4r0 Updated Jul 21, 2008

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Rennaisance Castle of Dukes of Pomerania in Szczecin is one of the most precious historical buildings of Western Pomerania. It consists of 5 wings surrounding 2 courtyards (Mint and Tower Courtyard) and 4 towers (Bell Tower, Clock Tower, Prison Tower and a small tower facing the Tower Courtyard with the staircase inside). For 300 years it used to be the main seat of the duke's Griffith dynasty. Its construction was initiated by duke Barnim 3rd the Great, who erected the so called "stone house" at the Castle Hill. For ages the castle has been developed and remodelled. After the Griffith dynasty had died out in 1648, it became the seat of Swedish (and then German) administration. During then its original Rennaisance form was distorted when some Gothic-like elements had been added.

    During World War 2, the castle was destroyed in 60%. During the reconstruction which took 22 years (between 1958 and 1980), the original Rennaisance shape of the castle was restored.

    Nowadays the castle is the seat of cultural and self-governmental institutions. You will find there art galleries, museums, West Pomeranian Marshall Office, Centre of Tourist and Cultural Information, Opera house and restaurants.

    Between 2006 and 2007 the facade of the castle was thoroughly renovated.

    Related to:
    • Museum Visits
    • Historical Travel
    • Castles and Palaces

    Was this review helpful?

  • Jawnuta's Profile Photo

    HAIRCUT @ HESTA!!!

    by Jawnuta Written Jan 19, 2008

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Great thing to do while you are in Europe on vacation is to get haircut at the local place.
    In Poland men's haircut can actually take an hour and it is very meticulous. Santo loves polish haircutters and loves their precision.
    Here it is a nice place in Szczecin to trim your hair so you look good on your pictures.

    Go to HESTA
    the owner name is Henryka Krol.
    Nobody speaks English, but they will do a good job, washing your hair, massaging your scalp and cutting.

    Haircut is 14 zloty ...about $5 or 6.
    Tip is not mandatory, however we always leave 3 or 5 zloty, because 14 zlotych for us is a real steal.

    Santo after teh haircut the bill from Hesta

    Was this review helpful?

  • Jawnuta's Profile Photo

    When in denger go to bomb shelter!!!!

    by Jawnuta Updated Dec 22, 2007

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    We took that trip on a rainy day, and boy was I surprised.
    I used to be on that train station almost every day as a high school student (comuting to school) but I had no idea what it hides behind the walls.
    The german bomb shelter, the masterpiece that supposed to save german residents of Stettin from not only bombs but also biological weapons.
    I strongly recomend that trip, it is only long 1 hour but the guide is fantastic and there are really interesting things to see.

    English and German language tours available
    Tickets about 20 zlotych per person or 40 zlotych per family (2+2)

    Santo underground our guide - realy cool guy entrance plenty of posters inside go this way!

    Was this review helpful?

  • sprdak11's Profile Photo

    Glebokie Lake

    by sprdak11 Written Nov 1, 2007

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Glebokie Lake can be a nice place for swimming and other water sports during summer. There is also a path around it for taking a walk or going by a bicycle. "Glebokie" in Polish means "deep". It's situated at Zegadlowicza Street 1 , at the end of Wojska Polskiego Avenue.

    Glebokie Lake
    Related to:
    • Cycling
    • Water Sports
    • Beaches

    Was this review helpful?

  • sprdak11's Profile Photo

    Glebokie Lake

    by sprdak11 Written Nov 1, 2007

    2 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Glebokie Lake can be a nice place for swimming and other water sports during summer. There is also a path around it for taking a walk or going by a bicycle. "Glebokie" in Polish means "deep". It's situated at Zegadlowicza Street 1 , at the end of Wojska Polskiego Avenue.

    Related to:
    • Cycling
    • Water Sports
    • Beaches

    Was this review helpful?

  • sprdak11's Profile Photo

    Taking a walk by Glebokie Lake

    by sprdak11 Written Nov 1, 2007

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Glebokie Lake can be a nice place for swimming and other water sports during summer. There is also a path around it for taking a walk or going by a bicycle. "Glebokie" in Polish means "deep". It's situated at Zegadlowicza Street 1 , at the end of Wojska Polskiego Avenue.

    Related to:
    • Family Travel
    • Beaches
    • Cycling

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Szczecin

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

22 travelers online now

Comments

Szczecin Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Szczecin things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Szczecin sightseeing.

View all Szczecin hotels