Albufeira Local Customs

Festa dos pescadores in Albufeira.
    by cachaseiro

Best Rated Local Customs in Albufeira

Vida Nova

by Carmela71 Updated Oct 8, 2004

Enjoying the wine

On our first night as we arrived late we decided to stay at the restaurant close to the hotel, that was very enjoyable.

When they came with the wine list, I was a little lost as I do not know much about Portugal wines, so we decided to try the one of Albufeira.

For our surprise was a Sir Cliff Richard wine bottle from his farm house over there. When he bought the house, he read that before they had a vineyard so he decided to do it himself again.

I have to say the wine was very nice, expensive but very nice. If you have a fan of Cliff in the family you can always take back with you a bottle as souvenir ;-)

Bullfighting

by Carmela71 Updated Oct 19, 2004

I guess this would be a good chance for me to see a bullfight, as it is different to Spain, bulls do not get kill, even if I still do not enjoy much bullfights.

Another characteristic of this bullring is that there are apartments at the bullring…. Never seen before!

Ceramic Shops

by Carmela71 Updated Oct 19, 2004

I just spoke before about the tiles in Mediterranean countries, But once again another comment about the shops that sell them.

I was feeling home on our trip from Albufeira to Sagres watching all this ceramic shops with such decoration outside them.

I always liked the dishes as my mother collects them (well used to do it, until she did not had much more space lol left)

• Fen's Profile Photo

Madredeus (Music from Portugal)

by Fen Updated Nov 5, 2006

Madredeus

If you want to listen to music from Portugal then I would suggest listening to Madredeus.
    The music has a romantic feel and the lead singer has a beautiful yet very powerful voice.
    Below is something about the band and there website if you wish to find out more.

This music's long journey found a definitive form when the voice was found. Teresa Salgueiro was the perfect heart for the group's melodies and words. When the first album -- 1987's "Os Dias da Madredeus", recorded at the Xabregas Convent church -- was released, many realised they were witnessing something unique and universal. Serene, ethereal songs, carrying a whispering, almost secret "Portugueseness", songs we all knew but whose shape we'd never been able to imagine, presented first to a circle of friends and only later, almost shyly, opening for concerts by Sétima Legiao.

• Music

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

albufeira's most famous citizen

by call_me_rhia Written Mar 4, 2004

Vicente de S. Antonio de Albufeira

The statue you see in the picture is a monument in honour of the Friar Vicente de S. Antonio.
    He was born in Albufeira in 1590: he was not only a friar, but also a singer, a musician, an artist, a linguist, a medical student and… a swordsman. He had a dream: to preach the Christian faith in Japan - a dream which eventually came true, and which proved to be fatal: he was soon imprisoned and tortured in the hope that he would give up his faith. He did not - however - so he was burned at the stake. He died on 3 September 1632, lifting a crucifix and calling out "Long live the Faith of Jesus Christ".

• Geoff_Wright's Profile Photo

Who Will You Meet?

by Geoff_Wright Written Jan 3, 2005

Carmen and Stace.

It may not be a Portuguese Local Custom, but I wonder who you might meet on holiday/vacation that you already know? Well, here are Carmen (Carmela71) and Stace (Beach_Dog), who drove several hundred miles from Marbella in Spain, just to meet up with us. We had hoped for a meeting with two or three other VTers, but for vvarious reasons they couldn't make it. Perhaps next time?

thanks Carmen and Stace, it was great to see you again.

• belgianchocolate's Profile Photo

People gather together at sunset

by belgianchocolate Written Jun 7, 2003

sunset

At some places , people come together too see the sun fall down in the sea. When i took this picture there where 30 or more people who came from the neighbourhood too watch.In november when I was there it is quit early and think about it , it really quickly gets colder then.

• Beaches

• MATIM's Profile Photo

About food

by MATIM Written Mar 12, 2004

Most Portuguese like to eat out. That is why there are hundreds of small eating houses.
    The Portuguese kitchen prepare healthy food, big portions appear at the table, mostly dishes with fish with a mix of salad, tomato, onion and cucumber.
    I really can advice you the sardines, they are delicious.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Festa dos pescadores.

by cachaseiro Written Oct 21, 2010

Festa dos pescadores in Albufeira.

In late august they have a local festival called "festa dos pescadores" which is a celebration of the fishermen of the Algarve and the square on the fishermens beach is filled up with lot´s of stands serving all kinds of fish dishes.
    There are plenty of other things to eat and lot´s of drinks aswell of course.
    All the different stands are run by volunteers from various sports clubs and social institutions in the Albufeira region, so by going there and joining the party you also support the local sports and cultural life.
    It´s really a nice party and you should certainly go there if you get the chance.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• Fen's Profile Photo

Fernando Pessoa

by Fen Written Sep 27, 2005

Fernando Pessoa

The most celebrated Portuguese poet, Fernando Pessoa (1885-1935)
    Fernando Pessoa became fluent in English and developed an early love for such authors as William Shakespeare and John Milton. He also used English in his first collections of poems.
    There is even a statue of Fernando Pessoa in his home town of Lisbon.

• solopes's Profile Photo

Lota

by solopes Updated Dec 19, 2013

Albufeira - Portugal

The fish comes from the boats and goes straight to the counters. The lady picks a couple of soles and puts them in the scale. One of the soles jumps from the scale and falls in the floor, she picks it again and weighs the lot. The costumer pays the demanded amount, about one half of what it would cost next day (or week) in the supermarket. It's impossible to listen the common "Is it fresh?".

"Marinho" leaves his catch in his wife's counter, and picks a couple of fishes, crossing the street, and giving them to the owner of the facing tavern, that had already set the charcoal on fire. We sit around the table in the street, and distributed the potatoes brought from inside and the wine that we ordered (the only thing to pay). The fish didn't take long and the simple meal started, shared by some strange people that... were there too. Today it tastes even better than yesterday!
    People keeps entering and living the "Lota(market)", happy with their good deals. In a couple of hours all the fish is sold, and the place gets clean (June, 1972).

Well, not so clean as today!
    The walls disappeared, the fish is gone, only a roof covers the embellished space. The tavern gave place to a common restaurant, and to compose the described scene, you have to make hard use of your imagination.

Lucky me! I only need to recall my memories!

• Beaches

confesion box telephone

by Carmela71 Updated Nov 5, 2004

When I was a child I was used to see this confession boxes at the Catholic churches, so I was very surprised the first time I saw a ¡§guiri¡¨ doing photos of one, later I was told all religions do not have them ƒº kids we are very innocent hehehe.. but I promise I had never seen one as a telephone box!

Street tiles

by Carmela71 Updated Oct 19, 2004

Tiles must be something very typical from the Mediterranean areas, but looking at this ones, I could feel I was in Andalucia (ok instead of Calle you can see Rua, but in Galicia is similar lol)

Roundabouts

by Carmela71 Updated Oct 19, 2004

I loved them, some were very original like this one. Lately I am visiting different places (also in Spain)that had atmosphere round-abouts with different statues and find them out of routine.

• cliffc's Profile Photo

Bow Instead of Shaking Hands

by cliffc Written Feb 16, 2007

I am coming to your town on 18/2, staying at Hotel Da Aldeia, Avenida Da Sa Carveiro,sao Joao 8, Albufeira.

would love to meet any local person with a view to exchange knowledge & make friends
    Please drop in and ask for Mr Cliff chopra

• Study Abroad
    • Casino and Gambling
    • Seniors

Instant Answers: Albufeira

Comments

Albufeira Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Albufeira local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Albufeira sightseeing.