Alvor Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Alvor

Indian Hut II: Great Little Indian

by Balam Written Nov 4, 2013

Indian Hut II

Although only small The Indian Hut II (Indian Hut I is around the corner and much bigger) serves up some really nice food. We had a lovely meal here on our last night, We ordered Chicken Chat and shish Kebab to start followed by a Lamb Karahi and Chicken Pasanda with Pilau Rice and Garlic and Chilli Nan. It was all really tasty, service was quick and friendly (there was only us in)

• Singles

Taverna do Guedes: The Best Food In Town

Taverna do Guedes, Alvor

This Restaurant certainly serves the best food in town, I love it. The food is Fantastic and it has a real local traditional family run atmosphere. As soon as you walk in the door you will know that you are on to something special, The Traditional Fishermans house type decor really gives it atmosphere and indeed the Owner of the Restaurant used to be the Captain of one of the local fishing boats and his son still goes out at night to catch Fish some of which is served in this great Restaurant.

You might have to call in and book because it does get busy although when dinning you can take all night if you want to.

I cannot praise this Restaurant enough service food atmosphere and (as my mother would point out) lovely clean toilets.

They do a good Tourist menu at a very reasonable price

Closed on Sundays

Favorite Dish: The Fish is great as is the Portuguese Steak and If your lucky there will be some of the really fantastic home made crème caramel left for desert

The Octopus Salad is gorgeous

EL REI Snack Bar & Restaurant: Great Breakfasts

EL REI Snack Bar & Restaurant, Alvor

Restaurant EL REI is a lovely small restaurant with friendly and helpful staff.
    The food is good with large portions. We always go here for breakfast on our first morning and will have lunch here a couple of times.
    The Chicken Piri Piri is lovely but best of all is the lovely home made chips, BIG CHUNKY CHIPS HOME MADE CHIPS!! not your little french fries or bought in frozen ones here but real great chips.

%s It has closed down now though which is such a shame :( the building is still empty 3

Favorite Dish: Full English breakfast was the BEST!
    Chicken Piri Piri was really good
    The Chips were fantastic!!

Buganvillia: Steak on a stone

Steak on a Stone

The Buganvillia is a great Restaurant that serves traditional Portuguese food with a few extras, Although it's not a traditional looking restaurant and does indeed look more like a hotel dining room or a couple of Apartments made into one big room with an open kitchen it still looks great, modern with a few traditional bits of decor and great family service.

The food is great and has that home cooked taste that you would expect from a Family run restaurant like this one and probably second only to Taverna Do Guedes, but the main speciality is Steak On A Stone which is a steak (either fillet or Sirloin) served raw on a hot piece of stone, You have to turn it over to cook it or slice bits off and arrange them on your stone allowing them to sizzle away, Its art and food all in one. It comes with chips and a selection of dips Mayonnaise, Thousand Island and another one I can't remember.
    It really is good but a word of warning, your shirt (or blouse) can get a bit splattered by the cooking steak and wearing a white one is not recommended as I found out on one visit and had to get my shirt Cleaned at our hotel, I have not had this problem on other occasions though so maybe the stone was extra hot on that occasion making it sizzle and spit more than normal but its worth being careful.

I suppose the only problem is that I like the steak on a stone so much here that when we go (which is normally on our first night after dropping our bags off at the Alvor Park) I just can't have anything else lol
    The last time we went though we went twice and I had a kebab which hangs down on the skewer over a burning plate, That was really nice as well!

The desserts are great as well especially the home made Biscuit Cake, that is really delicious :)

Favorite Dish: Steak on a stone

Biscuit Cake

• Singles

Barca De Alvor: A Nice Local Place

Barca De Alvor

We called in here for the first time for breakfast, It's a lovely little Portuguese Cafe tucked between two more modern looking ones, the decor is plain but nice with a more traditional authentic feel, the chairs and tables a nice bright colours. The breakfast was lovely and they were very friendly.

We called back for lunch and i had the Chicken Piri Piri my mum had egg and chips and my dad had a ham and cheese omelette. It was really nice. We now make sure we visit for breakfast whenever we go! This year when we go i would like to call in in the afternoon and try some other dishes and maybe one of those nice looking Portuguese Pastries or merengues you can just about see on the picture!

• Evenith666's Profile Photo

Buganvilia: Simply The Best

by Evenith666 Written Oct 20, 2013

Restaurante Buganvilia

My favourite restaurant in Alvor, and so much is the lust for this place that we have to go here the first night of every visit!

I always have the Steak On The Stone, it has been many MANY years since I have had anything else here, but this year we are planning on making a second visit so we can try something else, but will be be able to go...smell those steaks...see them being brought out...and order something difference, even after having one a couple of days earlier? They are simply too good, we will have to wait and see!

Favorite Dish: As I mentioned, it's always the steak on the stone for me. You get a raw steak on a sizzling hot piece of stone, and basically cook it yourself (I know the point in going out is so you don't have to cook yourself, but bear with me). It doesn't take too long to cook but you have to do it right. Make sure you turn it over while the stone is hot enough to still cook it through on both sides. If you are not having too much luck, no problem, just slice your steak up and cook it in strips (I actually find you get a better taste this way, the steak basically fries in its own juices).

You also get a plate of chips and some veg, and three different dips for the steak. I can't remember what the dips are, but all three are quite different and complement everything really well.

Oh, and for starters, you can't beat the prawn cocktail here, and the chocolate mouse for desert :D

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

O Chefe Joao: A Small Place

by Balam Written Oct 28, 2011

O Chefe Joao

This great little restaurant serves some really nice food, Mostly cooked on the indoor grill next to the window at the front of the restaurant.
    I had a lovely fish soup and a very tasty Chicken Piri Piri which i could not wait to get stuck into and so forgot to take a picture of it. My Mum had a lovely Salmon steak, all the fish looked really nice and is sold by the weight so check the price first.

It's a very friendly family run place with Joao cooking on the grill and his wife cooking in the back, i got the impression that the waitress is their daughter but i could be wrong.
    It has some nice sea faring decor, as well as a spitting image type rubber chicken hanging in the window,
    If you go you have to try the sangria, we had the white one and it was gorgeous!

• Wine Tasting

• Balam's Profile Photo

Goodvilla Bar Restaurant: A Good Place?

Goodvilla Bar Restaurant, Alvor

This is one of those Places that catch your eye when you walk around Alvor, there is just something about it that makes it look inviting, I have not been in yet nor do i think i will after reading the tip put on from mikeybb who seemed to join especialy to let us know how bad it is. Unfortunatly he did not tell us which one is his. (favorite i mean :) )See mikeybb's tip here

We did go in however and had a lovely meal, maybe mikeybb had a bad experience or maybe ulterior motives who knows. The food was great and service good but it has closed now and has become an Italian Restaurant in 2011

Taberna Ze Morgadinho: An old fishermans Place

Taberna Ze Morgadinho, Alvor

This is quite a nice Restaurant next to the Lifeboat House and old fish market Their adverts say that "since 1890 Alvor's fishermen ate grilled fish or had a brandy here after a cold night at sea"

it's a good place to sit and enjoy drinks, snacks or a meal and watch the world go by. They serve a Wide range of food Including T-bone steaks, Ribs, roast lamb with a Full fresh fish list. All are cooked to order and the Charcoal grill in full view so you can see your Fish or Steak being cooked. The service was friendly and good.

While on a recent visit in October 2010 my mum and dad called in at about 11:30 am just wanting to get a drink my mum had gone in but my dad and I were still at the entrance, My mum asked the waiter if they could just have a drink and he said it was ok but turned away from my mum and pulled his face rolling his eyes, if it was a problem for their 'empty' restaurant to serve somebody drinks they should just say 'Sorry, we only do drinks with food'. food that after having just a drink we may well have ordered, or maybe gone back tonight or another night.

We called in for lunch in 2011 and had a nice meal which was made even more interesting as the sea came over onto the street and flooded the exterior eating part of the restaurant.

• Balam's Profile Photo

Big Reds: Home of the Monster Ribs!!

Big Reds!

We had a fantastic meal at Big Reds, we had never been before but have often seen it advertised and thought about going, when my mum was looking through the Portuguese News (you can pick it up free from the airport and other places) there was a voucher in it for a free 1lt carafe of wine (worth 7.50) when you dine there so that kind of made up my mums mind to go.

We went in the car and found that although the restaurant lacks a carpark you could easily park in one of the side streets next to it, there was some people who had walked from the village following the local 'Free map' but found it quite a long walk as the map is not to scale, so maybe a taxi to and from would be better if you don't want the long walk.

Saying all that the walk would be worth it as the food here is fantastic, My mum and dad had the Winter Warmer set menu, you get a choice from 3 different starters mains and deserts. My Dad had Fishcakes with Thai salad to start followed by slow roasted belly pork (with the best crackling he has ever had) and Etan Mess for dessert, my Mum had Homemade soup to start followed by Salmon with new potatoes and then Etan mess. I did not have the set menu choosing instead to have a Mixed Grill, i had not eaten all day and was hungry and this really did fill me up, with it's 6oz sirloin steak, ribs, chicken wings and lamb chops not forgetting the chips and a lovely bowl of salad.

When we were leaving we were given another voucher for free wine so I had a feeling we would be calling again soon and I would maybe try their famous Monster Ribs

We did call back This year (2011) and I had the ribs but thankfully I opted out (or chickened out) of the Monster ones and just had the normal ribs, They were certainly big enough!! I had hot and spicy ribs and my dad had sweet and sour ribs. Thet were deliciuos and we were really full after! although my Mum and Dad managed to fit in a delicious Eton Mess for afters.

Favorite Dish: Ribs!!

• Silmar cafe & restaurant: Chill out in the Square

by royalanhirst Updated Aug 15, 2011

This is the place to be, to chill out on an evening in alvor,with both locals and visitors enjoying a drink.
    On some nights listen to the music of the panpipes and guitar as the the touring musicians set up on the corner.
    Here you can have a snack , full meal or just a drink,chill out you are on holiday.

• Phoenix: Be prepared to wait

by royalanhirst Written Aug 14, 2011

Visited this restaurant one evening and had quite a nice home made steak and mushroom pie,which enticed us to book a table the next day for sunday lunch,you know roast beef,yorkshire puddings,veg and gravy.
    We arrived at the booking time of 20:00 hrs and the room was full.
    I looked round and noticed that everyone was waiting for food and I surmised that we were in for a long wait.
    After nearly an hour the food arrived and was acceptable,if we had know that it would take so long then I do not think that we would have bothered
    Prices were ok and decent English food,but if it looks busy then be prepared for a wait.

Favorite Dish: Homemade Steak and Mushroom Pie
    Nice top with plenty of hot veg and gravy

• Drakes: Nice food but pricey

by royalanhirst Written Aug 14, 2011

Called in for a curry after reading about this place in the Alvor street map local guide.
    The four of us ordered Indian starters and different curries off the menu,we also ordered some rice and naan breads.
    The food was very good but we were surprised by the size of the the Naans which were about the same size as a small slice of bread,not the gigantic ones that we are used to at home.
    As this meal was one of the costliest of our our holiday,if the meal sundries had been more substantial then we may have returned as the chef certainly knows his stuff and portion size let a good meal down.

• Drake's: From Breakfast to Dinner not to be missed!

by Edwardastbury Updated Apr 4, 2011

Newly opened by Sara and Pat this Restaurant Bar should not be missed,it is newly refurbished and a credit to them. Set back from the road with nice outdoor furniture it is a pleasure to sit and watch the world go by over a drink or a nice breakfast. Then return in the evening for a wonderful dinner and welcome.

Favorite Dish: We had Lamb Shanks and Serloin Steak, the lamb was cooked to a turn and fell of the bone, the steak was cooked to our taste and was tender with a pepper sauce. The menu should suit all tastes. We had Breakfast several times which is the best in town and the cheapest we have found to date.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Beaches

Tasca Morais: A funny little place

by Balam Updated Oct 28, 2010

Tasca Morais, Alvor

Another great restaurant, The food is Fantastic and service is good,
    The toilet is clean but a little strangely positioned, kind of in the middle of the restaurant.

One of only a few places that do a Cataplana for one but the only place that actually leaves the cataplana at the side of the table so you can serve yourself from it.
    They also do lovely Fish Soup for starter and they do a nice Grilled Chicken Piri Piri.

Favorite Dish: Cataplana

Instant Answers: Alvor

Comments

Great Choices for Food!

giampiero6's Profile Photo

Portuguese, Chinese, Indian, English, Italian Alvor has a great choice of places to eat!