Alvor Restaurants

Chicken Chat, Indian Hut II
    Lamb Karahi, Indian Hut II

Most Recent Restaurants in Alvor

• averageyorkshirejoe's Profile Photo

lusitania: the best almond tart ever!!

by averageyorkshirejoe Updated Apr 8, 2008

lusitania on the left downhill

Even though we like to try new places my husband and i always eat here more than once when we visit. It has a beautiful conservatory type area so it feels like you re eating outside but because its quite enclosed it doesnt get too cold. The dishes you can get are pretty much the same as in most of the other local restaurants, fresh fish etc but its just that little bit nicer and better quality. Its the service that sets it apart from the rest, excellent, friendly and sincere without being fake. You must try the fig cake and medrehno or the almond cake - i've travelled up and down the coastline a few times and never had better!! We even went in on our last day to take some with us but it hadn't been made yet that day

Favorite Dish: The monkkish and prawn kebeb is excellent as is the goldbream

• averageyorkshirejoe's Profile Photo

O ALCAIDE: a lovely authentic local flavour

by averageyorkshirejoe Updated Apr 8, 2008

Huge cataplanas pot!

This restaurant is down a tiny side street and used to be a wine storehouse which gives it a lovely homely feel. All the food we had was lovely but the best had to be the cataplanas which we shared and it was more than ample for two, the portions are generous. The service is attentive and i couldn't be sure but looking at the ladies serving us it seemed like a family affair with different generations waitressing. look out for it as its really easy to miss!! but i would really recommend it.

Favorite Dish: The portugese steak is hearty, with potato and bread in it and the cataplanas is full of smoky flavours

• Goodville - Alvor: *AVOID THIS RESTURANT AT ALL COSTS*

by mikeybb Written Mar 14, 2008

This resturant is BY FAR the worst resturant in Alvor. Me and my partner have visited Alvor on several occasions and have been to 99% of resturants there, we have never been treated so badly as we were there.

We visited the resturant on 2 occasions, on the first one we simply walked in and asked to see a menu. When we had seen the menu and decided we wanted to eat elsewhere and started to leave, the waiter said "you must have something wrong with your heads, this is the best menu in Alvor." We continued to walk from the resturant feeling disrespected at this comment and on walking out the door he added "go down the road to the snack bar, you can get a burger or a sandwich from there, you look like that kind of people." This was totally innopropriate as that was not at all our intention, my partner and i simply wanted to have some pasta dishes and their menu was dominated by seafood dishes. I have no problem with this as Alvor is a fishing village one would expect to see an abundance of seafood resturants in such a place.

Our second experience of the resturant is one i regret even contemplating. We decided on our return to Alvor to give this resturant another chance, becuase (we thought) perhaps it was just this waiter that was rude, and the resturant itself was not as bad. However, after ordering we waited the best part of an hour for our food to arrive, this was in March, Alvor is quiet in its peak time between May and August, and there was us and 1 other couple in the whole resturant. Sadly the food did not compensate for the time it took to arrive. We had the Monkfish, and for something that is meant to be local, and brought from the harbour 5 minutes walk away, it tasted no better than something i could buy frozen from England. We then got charged over the odds for our food, so all in all it was the worst night of the holiday.

If you want to have a good resturant experience, be you family or couple, please avoid this place, there are so many better, cheaper alternatives.

Grande Muralha Chinese Restaurante: Chinese Elegance

Grande Muralha Chinese Restaurante, Alvor

Set between Rua D Joao II and Rua D Sancho 1 (near the Taxi rank)
    This Fabulous restaurant is probably the best and is certainly the most elegant in town.
    Lovely food with some well thought out set menu's and dishes from Hong Kong, Peking and Szechuan served by charming, Beautiful waitresses.
    Good service with no long waits between courses.
    Fantastic Decoration with a lovely relief of the great wall (Grande Muralha) of china with lights set into it in the covered terrace
    This has to be a must for anybody who likes Chinese food.

Hang Zhou Chinese Restaurante: Chinese Buffet

Hang Zhou Chinese Restaurante, Alvor

Newly opened in what used to be the Hong Kong Shopping, this restaurant has the same menu and offers as the Chinese Garden
    (which leads me to think that it is owned by the same people) but also offers a
    'All you can eat' Buffet for just 9.90E per person (3.90E for children below 1.5m)
    They offer a good selection of dishes (25 items in total plus fruits puddings etc)
    It is certainly well worth the money.

Adega d' Alvor: The Big Lobster

Adega d' Alvor

This Restaurant is recognisable by the large lobster that that sits on the roof, looking down at passers by.
    while not that big on the street the restaurant stretches back quite away, most of the tables being set in a covered garden at the back.
    the kitchen is viewable (if your sat in the right place) and makes more of the experience seeing the chef's bustling about.
    The food is well cooked and beautifully presented and the service was ok.
    Not the cheapest restaurant around but then it does mostly serve Fish, Crabs, Lobsters (crabs and lobsters can be seen in a tank as you come in). Lamb, Steaks etc.
    none of which are cheap anywhere I think prices for a main course meal start from about Euro 9.
    They have a children's menu.

• Wine Tasting

Indian Hut I: Spicy!

by Balam Written Nov 2, 2007

Best Indian restaraunt in town, just won best curry house on the Algarve award (or so they say)
    If you like Indian food why not try this one (or it's sister restaraunt called convienently, Indian Hut II on Rua Dr Frederico Mendes.)

Albar snack bar and restaurant: Corner Bar

by Balam Written Nov 2, 2007

Albar snack bar and restaurant, Alvor

This is a great place to sit outside and have a coffee and indeed you will see a lot of locals doing just that.
    They have a Juice bar with some interesting drinks on the menu, from Hangover cures to energy boosters, Cocktails to just plain fruit juices include mixes of ginger, cucumber, beetroot, orange, lemon's, apples and many more.
    The menu is extensive with a wide choice of dishes, and the restaraunt looks really nice.
    I had a Mixed Kebab with BBQ sauce, The Kebab's (2) were a mix of pork and chorizoe and would have been better if it did not have the BBQ sauce as it was a bit sickly after the first one. My son had Spicy chicken Kebab with a Yoghurt and mint sauce,
    It consisted of 2 chicken Kebabs with a bit of a spicy sauce poured over and a seperate dish of a kind of mint Raitaand he liked his. Both were served with Chips and salad.
    My mum had fish and chips and said it was horrible and was the worst food she had ever had in all the years she has been comming to Alvor, My Father had a chiocken sandwich and said it was ok.
    A Woman sat behind us sent her food (something in a bowl) back because it was cold.

I would probably go back and have a coffe or a fruit juice there but would certainly think twice about eating there again and with so many other bars and restaraunts around it will be a long time before i do.

Pyramide Steak House: Eating With The Pharoes

by Balam Updated Sep 18, 2007

Pyramid restaraunt

This great restaurant is modelled after an Egyptian tomb with paintings on the walls all done in an Egyptian manner. The food was fantastic we had the mixed grill and there was plenty of it. The most memorable bit of our visit to this resaraunt was my Father. We were sat in a room that had all tiled walls and my dad had to make constant remarks about how we were eating in a toilet. I suppose you had to be there really but it made it a most memorable visit and we will be going again next time we are in Alvor.

Favorite Dish: The mixed Grill is Fantastic

• ghizzy's Profile Photo

The Pyramid: the best steaks in alvor

by ghizzy Written Aug 14, 2006

Every year when we go to Alvor we go to The Pyramid. The staff are friendly and the wide choice of food is excellent! its well worth a visit! You can sit downstairs, or up on the balcony!

Favorite Dish: I usually have medium done steak - its sooo flavourful and good value for money, and the accompanying veg is also delish!! (and im realli fussy with my veg) The fish is gorge too!!

Aquarius: Portuguese at its best

by antz Written Nov 9, 2004

This is a wee portuguese cafe/snack bar. I think that only really portuguese people go here, cos there were never any tourists in it when I went. Fernando, Seamie and Mickey (another crazy irishman) took me here for lunch. Basically they offer a meat dish and a fish dish and you have one or the other. Both times I went, the food was great and exceptionally cheap!

• antz's Profile Photo

Buganvilia: Steak on a stone!

by antz Updated Nov 9, 2004

This place is great, I went here with Seamie and Fernando from Paddy's one night during the second time I was in Alvor. They took me here as they reckoned it was the best place in Alvor!! I would say that they were right. I had a steak on the stone, which I have only seen done in South Africa before. I love eating my steak this way. For those of you who don't know - you are given a raw steak on a hotplate and you eat it as it cooks. Great fun! Even though this time I was in Alvor, it was November and there was no one about, this place was still packed - shows how good it is!!

• antz's Profile Photo

The Fishermans Rest: Smell your fish being cooked!

by antz Written Oct 19, 2004

The Fisherman's Rest

This place is great - you pick your fish and then they grill it on a barbeque in front of the restaurant. The smells then waft on back to where you are sitting! Great way to make your mouth water!!

Favorite Dish: I had the red snapper (which I had never tasted before) and it was divine. I am not a great fish eater, but this possibly changed all that!

• antz's Profile Photo

The Captain's Table: Great Portugeuse Steak!

by antz Written Oct 19, 2004

It's on the left!

The Captain's Table is owned by the Paddy of Paddy's Bar fame! It is a great restaurant, where one of the waiters could even speak Gaelic!! (I nearly fell off my chair) Again, very friendly staff. The prices are decent and the food is fantastic.

Favorite Dish: I had the Portugeuse style steak and it was delicious. It was cooked exactly as I like it and the sauce was beautiful. Very well presented!

Food Passion Restaurant: Home Made

by Balam Updated Oct 26, 2010

Deep Fried Bounty

A great menu of some real contempory food in varying styles from all over the world.

Favorite Dish: I had 5 Spice Saute Duck and it was really nice.

• Singles

Instant Answers: Alvor

Comments

Great Choices for Food!

giampiero6's Profile Photo

Portuguese, Chinese, Indian, English, Italian Alvor has a great choice of places to eat!