Alvor Restaurants

Lamb Karahi, Indian Hut II

Best Rated Restaurants in Alvor

Indian Hut I: Spicy!

by Balam Written Nov 2, 2007

Best Indian restaraunt in town, just won best curry house on the Algarve award (or so they say)
    If you like Indian food why not try this one (or it's sister restaraunt called convienently, Indian Hut II on Rua Dr Frederico Mendes.)

o ARCO DA VELHA: good grills, excellent service

by averageyorkshirejoe Written Jun 22, 2008

This is near the front but a little up the hill away from the other restaurants and has a few tables outside on decking. It is a little bit smaller and better for it as the staff are friendly, quick and efficient-we only went in because the food on the outside grill smelled so good so we were being nosy and despite being busy the chef explained what they all were without the hard sell. The pork ribs are excellent as was the fillet kebab. The tiger prawns starter has 6 as a portion but they are BIG and need to be shared, and i would recommend the peri-peri spicy butter with them it is delicious!

• antz's Profile Photo

The Captain's Table: Great Portugeuse Steak!

by antz Written Oct 19, 2004

The Captain's Table is owned by the Paddy of Paddy's Bar fame! It is a great restaurant, where one of the waiters could even speak Gaelic!! (I nearly fell off my chair) Again, very friendly staff. The prices are decent and the food is fantastic.

Favorite Dish: I had the Portugeuse style steak and it was delicious. It was cooked exactly as I like it and the sauce was beautiful. Very well presented!

It's on the left!

Barca De Alvor: A Nice Local Place

by Balam Updated Oct 21, 2013

We called in here for the first time for breakfast, It's a lovely little Portuguese Cafe tucked between two more modern looking ones, the decor is plain but nice with a more traditional authentic feel, the chairs and tables a nice bright colours. The breakfast was lovely and they were very friendly.

We called back for lunch and i had the Chicken Piri Piri my mum had egg and chips and my dad had a ham and cheese omelette. It was really nice. We now make sure we visit for breakfast whenever we go! This year when we go i would like to call in in the afternoon and try some other dishes and maybe one of those nice looking Portuguese Pastries or merengues you can just about see on the picture!

Barca De Alvor Barca De Alvor Barca De Alvor Chicken Piri Piri

O Chefe Joao: A Small Place

by Balam Written Oct 28, 2011

This great little restaurant serves some really nice food, Mostly cooked on the indoor grill next to the window at the front of the restaurant.
    I had a lovely fish soup and a very tasty Chicken Piri Piri which i could not wait to get stuck into and so forgot to take a picture of it. My Mum had a lovely Salmon steak, all the fish looked really nice and is sold by the weight so check the price first.

It's a very friendly family run place with Joao cooking on the grill and his wife cooking in the back, i got the impression that the waitress is their daughter but i could be wrong.
    It has some nice sea faring decor, as well as a spitting image type rubber chicken hanging in the window,
    If you go you have to try the sangria, we had the white one and it was gorgeous!

O Chefe Joao Fish Soup O Chefe Joao O Chefe Joao O Chefe Joao
    • Seniors
    • Wine Tasting

• averageyorkshirejoe's Profile Photo

O ALCAIDE: a lovely authentic local flavour

by averageyorkshirejoe Updated Apr 8, 2008

This restaurant is down a tiny side street and used to be a wine storehouse which gives it a lovely homely feel. All the food we had was lovely but the best had to be the cataplanas which we shared and it was more than ample for two, the portions are generous. The service is attentive and i couldn't be sure but looking at the ladies serving us it seemed like a family affair with different generations waitressing. look out for it as its really easy to miss!! but i would really recommend it.

Favorite Dish: The portugese steak is hearty, with potato and bread in it and the cataplanas is full of smoky flavours

Huge cataplanas pot!

• antz's Profile Photo

The Fishermans Rest: Smell your fish being cooked!

by antz Written Oct 19, 2004

This place is great - you pick your fish and then they grill it on a barbeque in front of the restaurant. The smells then waft on back to where you are sitting! Great way to make your mouth water!!

Favorite Dish: I had the red snapper (which I had never tasted before) and it was divine. I am not a great fish eater, but this possibly changed all that!

The Fisherman's Rest

Aquarius: Portuguese at its best

by antz Written Nov 9, 2004

This is a wee portuguese cafe/snack bar. I think that only really portuguese people go here, cos there were never any tourists in it when I went. Fernando, Seamie and Mickey (another crazy irishman) took me here for lunch. Basically they offer a meat dish and a fish dish and you have one or the other. Both times I went, the food was great and exceptionally cheap!

• averageyorkshirejoe's Profile Photo

lusitania: the best almond tart ever!!

by averageyorkshirejoe Updated Apr 8, 2008

Even though we like to try new places my husband and i always eat here more than once when we visit. It has a beautiful conservatory type area so it feels like you re eating outside but because its quite enclosed it doesnt get too cold. The dishes you can get are pretty much the same as in most of the other local restaurants, fresh fish etc but its just that little bit nicer and better quality. Its the service that sets it apart from the rest, excellent, friendly and sincere without being fake. You must try the fig cake and medrehno or the almond cake - i've travelled up and down the coastline a few times and never had better!! We even went in on our last day to take some with us but it hadn't been made yet that day

Favorite Dish: The monkkish and prawn kebeb is excellent as is the goldbream

lusitania on the left downhill

• averageyorkshirejoe's Profile Photo

the fishermans restaurant and restaurante a lota: a stones through from the sea

by averageyorkshirejoe Updated Apr 8, 2008

You are spoilt for choice at the harbour for fantastic fish restaurants but are two worth mentioning .One is near to the lifeboat house, the fishermans restaurant, where you can see them cooking the sardines outside on a grill and the smell is just amazing. If the weathers good as it is most of the time you can sit outside and hear the sea whilst you eat! the other restaurant is just up the hill slightly, restaurante a lota and you can eat outside or there is an upstairs closed in terrace with pretty good views. They have a tank of stuff you can choose from or the waiters will show you what they ve got in that day thats the portion size you want.

Favorite Dish: Pick a fish, it will be delicious

• Balam's Profile Photo

Goodvilla Bar Restaurant: A Good Place?

by Balam Updated Oct 27, 2011

This is one of those Places that catch your eye when you walk around Alvor, there is just something about it that makes it look inviting, I have not been in yet nor do i think i will after reading the tip put on from mikeybb who seemed to join especialy to let us know how bad it is. Unfortunatly he did not tell us which one is his. (favorite i mean :) )See mikeybb's tip here

We did go in however and had a lovely meal, maybe mikeybb had a bad experience or maybe ulterior motives who knows. The food was great and service good but it has closed now and has become an Italian Restaurant in 2011

Goodvilla Bar Restaurant, Alvor Goodvilla Bar Restaurant, Alvor Goodvilla Bar Restaurant, Alvor Goodvilla Bar Restaurant, Alvor Goodvilla Bar Restaurant, Alvor

• antz's Profile Photo

Buganvilia: Steak on a stone!

by antz Updated Nov 9, 2004

This place is great, I went here with Seamie and Fernando from Paddy's one night during the second time I was in Alvor. They took me here as they reckoned it was the best place in Alvor!! I would say that they were right. I had a steak on the stone, which I have only seen done in South Africa before. I love eating my steak this way. For those of you who don't know - you are given a raw steak on a hotplate and you eat it as it cooks. Great fun! Even though this time I was in Alvor, it was November and there was no one about, this place was still packed - shows how good it is!!

The Captains Table: A Popular Place

by Balam Updated Oct 26, 2010

The captains Table is owned by the people who own Paddy's Bar and serves up by all accounts some nice food, My mum and Dad did call in during the late morning when it was empty and just asked for a drink but were politly turned away as they only serve drinks with food, It is a shame because after sitting their thay may have decided to eat or we may have gone back during the evening. I can understand them saying you can not have a drink if it is busy but when it's empty it just seems silly to me.

Captains Table Captains Table

• Balam's Profile Photo

Big Reds: Home of the Monster Ribs!!

by Balam Updated Oct 27, 2011

We had a fantastic meal at Big Reds, we had never been before but have often seen it advertised and thought about going, when my mum was looking through the Portuguese News (you can pick it up free from the airport and other places) there was a voucher in it for a free 1lt carafe of wine (worth 7.50) when you dine there so that kind of made up my mums mind to go.

We went in the car and found that although the restaurant lacks a carpark you could easily park in one of the side streets next to it, there was some people who had walked from the village following the local 'Free map' but found it quite a long walk as the map is not to scale, so maybe a taxi to and from would be better if you don't want the long walk.

Saying all that the walk would be worth it as the food here is fantastic, My mum and dad had the Winter Warmer set menu, you get a choice from 3 different starters mains and deserts. My Dad had Fishcakes with Thai salad to start followed by slow roasted belly pork (with the best crackling he has ever had) and Etan Mess for dessert, my Mum had Homemade soup to start followed by Salmon with new potatoes and then Etan mess. I did not have the set menu choosing instead to have a Mixed Grill, i had not eaten all day and was hungry and this really did fill me up, with it's 6oz sirloin steak, ribs, chicken wings and lamb chops not forgetting the chips and a lovely bowl of salad.

When we were leaving we were given another voucher for free wine so I had a feeling we would be calling again soon and I would maybe try their famous Monster Ribs

We did call back This year (2011) and I had the ribs but thankfully I opted out (or chickened out) of the Monster ones and just had the normal ribs, They were certainly big enough!! I had hot and spicy ribs and my dad had sweet and sour ribs. Thet were deliciuos and we were really full after! although my Mum and Dad managed to fit in a delicious Eton Mess for afters.

Favorite Dish: Ribs!!

Big Reds! Big Reds! Mixed Grill Normal size Ribs Eaton Mess
    • Seniors

• Evenith666's Profile Photo

Buganvilia: Simply The Best

by Evenith666 Written Oct 20, 2013

My favourite restaurant in Alvor, and so much is the lust for this place that we have to go here the first night of every visit!

I always have the Steak On The Stone, it has been many MANY years since I have had anything else here, but this year we are planning on making a second visit so we can try something else, but will be be able to go...smell those steaks...see them being brought out...and order something difference, even after having one a couple of days earlier? They are simply too good, we will have to wait and see!

Favorite Dish: As I mentioned, it's always the steak on the stone for me. You get a raw steak on a sizzling hot piece of stone, and basically cook it yourself (I know the point in going out is so you don't have to cook yourself, but bear with me). It doesn't take too long to cook but you have to do it right. Make sure you turn it over while the stone is hot enough to still cook it through on both sides. If you are not having too much luck, no problem, just slice your steak up and cook it in strips (I actually find you get a better taste this way, the steak basically fries in its own juices).

You also get a plate of chips and some veg, and three different dips for the steak. I can't remember what the dips are, but all three are quite different and complement everything really well.

Oh, and for starters, you can't beat the prawn cocktail here, and the chocolate mouse for desert :D

Restaurante Buganvilia Steak On The Stone
    • Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

Instant Answers: Alvor

Comments

Great Choices for Food!

giampiero6's Profile Photo

Portuguese, Chinese, Indian, English, Italian Alvor has a great choice of places to eat!