Faro Restaurants

• solopes's Profile Photo

Costa Algarvia: Central and good

by solopes Updated Dec 16, 2013

Faro - Portugal

We had dinner in the esplanade, noticing the easy shown by the owner getting space - all the tables were occupied, but, since we didn't want to eat inside (no one wanted, in that hot night) he quickly moved a couple of tables and a few chairs outside to sit us.

The situation repeated with more groups, until there were no more tables inside, and the esplanade almost the double of the original size.

The service was very slow; a few costumers near us complained, and we got the explanation - the computer was crashing often. We were forced to wait until midnight for someone arriving by bus, and the problem didn't bother us too much.

The food was very good. We were five, choose five different dishes, and everybody appreciated his choice. The price was also acceptable.

• Beaches

SOL E JARDIN: DELICIOUS SARDINES

by alyf1961 Written Mar 18, 2013

I thought I should try some of the local cuisine and from what I had heard the sardines were the locals favourite dish. Although it was out of season as they are usually at their best during the summer months, the sardines I had at this restaurant were delicious. They came with boiled potatoes. It was very quiet with only one other table being occupied.

Favorite Dish: THE SARDINES WERE DELICIOUS

McDonalds: I'M LOVIN IT

by alyf1961 Written Mar 6, 2013

McDonalds is in a good position near the Jardim Manuel Bivar, opposite the Marina. The service is quick and efficient and the staff all spoke English which helped me with my ordering. They didn’t sell milkshakes but they did have Lipton’s iced tea.

Favorite Dish: A BIG MAC

CASTELLO CAFE: A wonderful location

by alyf1961 Written Mar 6, 2013

The café Castello is in a marvoulous position in the old town of Faro. The window seats look out on the Rio Formosa. I just had a café galao (latte) but there were other people eating delicious looking sandwiches. The Castello is also a music venue with an outdoor stage, but I think they only have entertainment in the summer months when I presume Faro is teeming with tourists.

OPENS DAILY 10.00-4.30

CENTEIO CAFE: A quick toastie

by alyf1961 Written Mar 6, 2013

This nice little café was not far from my hotel and just around the corner from the supermarket. The girl that served me although her English wasn’t too good she was very friendly and helpful. I ordered a cheese and ham toastie and a café galao (latte) and sat down to eat next to a big screen TV. The toastie was delicious and I enjoyed watching the TV even though I didn’t have a clue what was going on.

Favorite Dish: Cheese and ham toastie

COSTA COFFEE: Costa at the airport

by alyf1961 Written Mar 6, 2013

The coffee at Costa, Faro airport, was the same blend with all the same procedures and all of the cakes were as over here in the UK. They had extra items available such as chocolate bars and a draught beer.

Favorite Dish: The latte tasted just as good.

TACO D’OURO: A SPORTS BAR

by alyf1961 Written Mar 2, 2013

This sports bar is on the avenue 5th of October in Faro.it is just opposite the Law courts. I went here a couple of times as they sold a delicious café galao (latte) as well as beer and spirits. The walls were plastered with scarves and banners of football clubs from around Europe. There were a few English teams scarves, Man united, Man city, Derby county and Chelsea among others unfortunately no Leeds United (I will take them one next time I go). Two large TV screens played football matches. The couple of times I visited they showed a Portugese match and an English one (Man U v QPR).

Favorite Dish: I had a latte but everybody else were drinking beer.

CHELSEA: DELICIOUS

by alyf1961 Written Feb 27, 2013

Chelsea café had delicious cakes and pastries baked on the premises. I had a café galao (pronounced café galo) which is the same as a latte. During my visit (not all at the same time) I tried a donut simples, éclair, regionas (little almond cake in the shape of a melon) and a fruit tart, all were delicious and although the café/shop was quite small it got very busy.

It was also very cheap. A cafe galao was 1 euro and cakes were all about 1 euro (thats why I had so many of them)

Favorite Dish: ALL OF THEM

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Restaurante Chelsea

by HORSCHECK Updated Sep 28, 2011

Restaurante Chelsea

Faro gets pretty empty in the evenings, because many tourists only visit the city on daytrips from the beach resorts along the Algarve. So it can be a bit difficult to find a restaurant where at least a few people were eating dinner.

As I had already enjoyed many Portuguese meals during my Lisbon days I felt like I should get myself just a pizza for dinner. I headed to Restaurante Chelsea which is one of the tourist places in the pedestrianised shopping area. They serve all sorts of Portuguese meals and also pizza.

To be honest, I can't really recommend this place: The pizza was small and not very tasty. Apart from that the waiter tried to charge me for the cover and bread which I hadn't even eaten.

• Trains

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

Adega Nortenha.: A decent restaurant.

by Maurizioago Updated Apr 1, 2009

Unfortunately I didn't find a restaurant where I had a very good lunch or dinner in Faro. Adega Nortenha was one of the best places I ate in the town.

The restaurant is a very simple place and the food was good. Here they serve various kinds of fish and meat.

Favorite Dish: I liked very much their tuna steak with vegetables.

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo

Restaurante Costa Algarvia ( Brasilia ): Fresh food and homely atmosphere

by Ekaterinburg Updated Feb 24, 2009

Chicken, chargrilled to perfection

The Lonely Planet suggested avoiding any place calling itself a 'Restaurante' in Portugal but in Restaurante Costa Algarvia we definitely found an exception to this rule. Maybe in Summer it mightn't be so cosy but in February, with several generations of family running it and eating there themselves, it was a warm and welcoming haven. We ate here twice and both times had the excellent tapas plate crammed with chorizo and cured ham. Accompanied by a warm ciabata-type bread, it was difficult to find room for a main course afterwards but we managed. We had omelettes, chicken and the piece de resistance - grilled meat kebabs.

House red at EUR 8 a bottle was a steal and some interesting local specialities for desert. Not all of these were as good as they sounded, especially the little almondy/honey concoctions that come in small tinfoil parcels but the lemon sorbet was sublime.

Favorite Dish: Definitely, the spectacular grilled meat kebebs,served on dangling skewers and interspersed with melt in the mouth red and green peppers.

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo

Fim De Mundo: Best Value for Money in Faro

by Ekaterinburg Updated Feb 24, 2009

Fim De mundo Restaurant

We found the cost of eating and drinking incredibly cheap in Faro but the Fim de Mundo restaurant, took the biscuit so to speak.We ate here on Sunday night, attracted by the pleasant ambience and the fact that many families were dining there. Service was friendly and matter of fact. Certain things were available and certain things weren't and what we ordered was cooked there and then. We both had bread, cheese and salad to start, pork ribs and chargrilled chicken for main course, something deliciously custardy for desert, a bottle of house wine and a bottle of water. All this came to a grand total of EUR 24.90, the price of a main course in some of our restaurants here in Ireland. We came back on Tuesday night but unfortunately,it was closed.

Fim de Mundo is in Rua Vasco da Gama, near Rua de Santa Antonio. There are no contact details on the receipt but you can't miss it.

Favorite Dish: My favourite dish was the chargrilled chicken which tasted quite unlike any other chicken I've tasted in a long, long time. Served with soft potato chips and a simple salad, unassuming, filling and succulent.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

Gardy.: Don't miss Gardy's ice cream!

by Maurizioago Updated Sep 5, 2008

Gardy is a cafe-restaurant located in the modern area of Faro. They have a large selections of pastries, cakes and ice creams. Here you can also have a menu of the day, several kinds of sandwiches and other things.

Favorite Dish: You should go there for their ice cream. I'd suggest to taste the mango flavour.

• Churrasqueira Wimpy: Best Chicken in Faro

by soze Written Sep 4, 2007

This is a small, local family run restaurant. Probably the best rotiserie chicken you will ever have outside of Guia, Algarve. No more than 25 seatings. VERY reasonabley priced. They are open 11am to 3pm and 5pm to 10pm.

We would always show up there after the beach, at just about lunch time closing, 3pm and the owners would always sit us down and we would end up having lunch with the owners and workers. Very gracious hosts with incredible food. The place is both a sit down restaurant and a take out and quite busy, but the wait for a table is never very long since it is a restaurant frequented by the locals during lunch and dinner and not by lounging tourists.

I cannot stress enough that if you are ever in Faro, Algarve, to try this restaurant.

PS> We asked the owner once how he came up with the name Wimpy. He says it is the name of a diner he once saw in London, England> And hoping to attract tourists, he used this name. Ironic, since very little tourist traffic ever goes here. Truly a hidden gem.

Favorite Dish: They have the varied menu but by far my favourite is the grilled chicken, fries, salad and a bottle of Casal Garcia wine. I can tase the meal now. AMAZING!

• Brisvegaskid's Profile Photo

By the Marina: Faro Seafood

by Brisvegaskid Written Jun 13, 2007

Yes...it was good.

We had the most fantastic meal at this restaurant near the marina - can't remember the name which is not very helpful but I can say that the boats are behind the restaurant and the ocean is in front. It's not hard to find.

Delicious food...great service....great spot. Go upstairs and out onto the verandah. The view isn't spectacular (the ocean is a bit swampy here) but it's still pretty great atmosphere..

Favorite Dish: They served cheese and bread to begin, we had a bottle of wine and we had a seafood casserole which was flavoursome and scrumptious. Fantastic.

Instant Answers: Faro

Comments

Faro Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Faro restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Faro sightseeing.