Faro Restaurants

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Restaurante Chelsea

by HORSCHECK Updated Sep 28, 2011

Restaurante Chelsea

Faro gets pretty empty in the evenings, because many tourists only visit the city on daytrips from the beach resorts along the Algarve. So it can be a bit difficult to find a restaurant where at least a few people were eating dinner.

As I had already enjoyed many Portuguese meals during my Lisbon days I felt like I should get myself just a pizza for dinner. I headed to Restaurante Chelsea which is one of the tourist places in the pedestrianised shopping area. They serve all sorts of Portuguese meals and also pizza.

To be honest, I can't really recommend this place: The pizza was small and not very tasty. Apart from that the waiter tried to charge me for the cover and bread which I hadn't even eaten.

• Trains

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo

Fim De Mundo: Best Value for Money in Faro

by Ekaterinburg Updated Feb 24, 2009

Fim De mundo Restaurant

We found the cost of eating and drinking incredibly cheap in Faro but the Fim de Mundo restaurant, took the biscuit so to speak.We ate here on Sunday night, attracted by the pleasant ambience and the fact that many families were dining there. Service was friendly and matter of fact. Certain things were available and certain things weren't and what we ordered was cooked there and then. We both had bread, cheese and salad to start, pork ribs and chargrilled chicken for main course, something deliciously custardy for desert, a bottle of house wine and a bottle of water. All this came to a grand total of EUR 24.90, the price of a main course in some of our restaurants here in Ireland. We came back on Tuesday night but unfortunately,it was closed.

Fim de Mundo is in Rua Vasco da Gama, near Rua de Santa Antonio. There are no contact details on the receipt but you can't miss it.

Favorite Dish: My favourite dish was the chargrilled chicken which tasted quite unlike any other chicken I've tasted in a long, long time. Served with soft potato chips and a simple salad, unassuming, filling and succulent.

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo

Restaurante Costa Algarvia ( Brasilia ): Fresh food and homely atmosphere

by Ekaterinburg Updated Feb 24, 2009

Chicken, chargrilled to perfection

The Lonely Planet suggested avoiding any place calling itself a 'Restaurante' in Portugal but in Restaurante Costa Algarvia we definitely found an exception to this rule. Maybe in Summer it mightn't be so cosy but in February, with several generations of family running it and eating there themselves, it was a warm and welcoming haven. We ate here twice and both times had the excellent tapas plate crammed with chorizo and cured ham. Accompanied by a warm ciabata-type bread, it was difficult to find room for a main course afterwards but we managed. We had omelettes, chicken and the piece de resistance - grilled meat kebabs.

House red at EUR 8 a bottle was a steal and some interesting local specialities for desert. Not all of these were as good as they sounded, especially the little almondy/honey concoctions that come in small tinfoil parcels but the lemon sorbet was sublime.

Favorite Dish: Definitely, the spectacular grilled meat kebebs,served on dangling skewers and interspersed with melt in the mouth red and green peppers.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

Gardy.: Don't miss Gardy's ice cream!

by Maurizioago Updated Sep 5, 2008

Gardy is a cafe-restaurant located in the modern area of Faro. They have a large selections of pastries, cakes and ice creams. Here you can also have a menu of the day, several kinds of sandwiches and other things.

Favorite Dish: You should go there for their ice cream. I'd suggest to taste the mango flavour.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

Adega Nortenha.: A decent restaurant.

by Maurizioago Updated Apr 1, 2009

Unfortunately I didn't find a restaurant where I had a very good lunch or dinner in Faro. Adega Nortenha was one of the best places I ate in the town.

The restaurant is a very simple place and the food was good. Here they serve various kinds of fish and meat.

Favorite Dish: I liked very much their tuna steak with vegetables.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Pastelaria Versailles: Seafood in the sun!

Restaurante Versailles, Faro

I ate at Pastelaria Versailles one lunchtime during a short visit to Faro in January 2007.

This local restaurant is located on the pedestrianised Rua Ivens, just a short stroll inland from Faro's marina.

The restaurant offers a couple of rows of tables out front, and a host of tables indoors. As it was a sunny afternoon, we opted to sit outside. This was great until the tables became shaded part way through our meal, and then the perils of dining outdoors in January became all too evident as we shivered through the rest of our meals!

We were served by the same waiter who had served us the previous lunchtime at the sister restaurant (Restaurante Piteu - see other tip for details) and he once again offered us a "special price" for the days special dish of sea bass.

Favorite Dish: Both my friend and I opted for:

Sea bass with potatoes - Cost: 9 Euros

This was the first time that I have ever been served a fish with its head still intact. However, it wasn't as offputting as I thought it might be, so I avoided the head region and tucked into the lovely white fish. It was exceptionally tasty and very well cooked. The only downside was the number of bones, but this is only to be expected! Served with four small potatoes and a side salad.

The cover charge included freshly baked bread, butter and sardine paste.

Fresh orange juice - Cost: 2-3 Euros per glass

Freshly squeezed orange juice with lots of ice cubes!

At the end of our meal, the waiter gave us a complimentary shot of a local liqueur which tasted similar to sherry. Combined with his sluggishness in getting our bill after we had requested it, this was probably as much a ploy to keep his restaurant looking busy as a goodwill gesture!

Excellent seafood in the heart of Faro!

• solopes's Profile Photo

Costa Algarvia: Central and good

by solopes Updated Dec 16, 2013

Faro - Portugal

We had dinner in the esplanade, noticing the easy shown by the owner getting space - all the tables were occupied, but, since we didn't want to eat inside (no one wanted, in that hot night) he quickly moved a couple of tables and a few chairs outside to sit us.

The situation repeated with more groups, until there were no more tables inside, and the esplanade almost the double of the original size.

The service was very slow; a few costumers near us complained, and we got the explanation - the computer was crashing often. We were forced to wait until midnight for someone arriving by bus, and the problem didn't bother us too much.

The food was very good. We were five, choose five different dishes, and everybody appreciated his choice. The price was also acceptable.

• Beaches

Restaurante Marisqueira O Pitéu: Al fresco seafood and meat dishes in Faro

Restaurante Piteu, Faro

I ate at Restaurante Marisqueira O Pitéu one lunchtime during a short visit to Faro in January 2007.

This small local restaurant is located on the square of Largo Dr. Silva Nobre in the heart of Faro, just a two minute walk inland from the marina.

We were attracted to this restaurant as it offered a host of outdoor tables and, at the time of our arrival, they were bathed in bright midday sunshine. Coming from the UK, it isn't very often that I get to sit outdoors enjoying a meal and a beer - especially in January! - so this was too good an opportunity to miss.

A dozen or so dishes were displayed on a chalkboard outside the restaurant and, upon seeing us browsing the list of unfamiliar names, the waiter came over to explain what the various dishes were. Most of the dishes involved either grilled meats or fresh seafood (for which this part of the world in renowned). The waiter told us that he would do us a "special price", so we settled at one of the outdoor tables.

During the course of our meal, the waiter knocked over one of our beers while bringing food to the table. He then taught us the famous Portuguese proverb: "Alcohol on the tablecloth means a happy table!" Hmmm, or perhaps it just means a clumsy waiter! ;-)

Favorite Dish: I opted for:

Vegetable soup - Cost: 1.50 Euros

A small bowl of tasty soup which included a variety of vegetables and some hot chillis which gave it a bit of a kick. It was served with freshly baked bread and butter. The cover charge also included sardine paste (which tastes much better than it looks!) and a plate of cheese (small pieces of a hard and bitter-tasting cheese - the taste grew on me after a while!).

My friend opted for seafood soup (2.50 Euros), which contained a real mixture of sealife, complete with fish bones!

Chicken Piri-Piri - Cost: 9 Euros

I had tried chicken piri-piri on a previous visit to Portugal a few years earlier and on that occasion the spicy coating had blown me away. Chicken piri-piri at Piteu was a bit of a disappointment in comparison. The chicken pieces were nice enough, but more like fried chicken pieces from a fast food joint. The piri-piri coating had no kick to it at all. The portions were fairly generous, and the chicken was served with chips and salad.

Sagres beer - Cost: 2-3 Euros per 500ml

A nice setting in which to enjoy al fresco dining in the sunshine. A good choice of local meat and fish dishes - but a rather disappointing chicken piri-piri!

• Churrasqueira Wimpy: Best Chicken in Faro

by soze Written Sep 4, 2007

This is a small, local family run restaurant. Probably the best rotiserie chicken you will ever have outside of Guia, Algarve. No more than 25 seatings. VERY reasonabley priced. They are open 11am to 3pm and 5pm to 10pm.

We would always show up there after the beach, at just about lunch time closing, 3pm and the owners would always sit us down and we would end up having lunch with the owners and workers. Very gracious hosts with incredible food. The place is both a sit down restaurant and a take out and quite busy, but the wait for a table is never very long since it is a restaurant frequented by the locals during lunch and dinner and not by lounging tourists.

I cannot stress enough that if you are ever in Faro, Algarve, to try this restaurant.

PS> We asked the owner once how he came up with the name Wimpy. He says it is the name of a diner he once saw in London, England> And hoping to attract tourists, he used this name. Ironic, since very little tourist traffic ever goes here. Truly a hidden gem.

Favorite Dish: They have the varied menu but by far my favourite is the grilled chicken, fries, salad and a bottle of Casal Garcia wine. I can tase the meal now. AMAZING!

La Pizza: Pizzas in central Faro

La Pizza, Faro

I ate at La Pizza one evening during a trip to Faro in January 2007.

This popular pizza restaurant, busy with local students on the evening that we ate there, is located on the narrow side street of Travessa José Coelho in the heart of Faro. It is located just a few minutes walk from the marina and just minutes away from some of Faro's most popular bars and clubs.

It is therefore a good place to grab a bite to eat before hitting the local bars - which is exactly what we did!

The interior is a little cramped, with several tables in the small ground level dining room. There are also tables upstairs, but I didn't venture up there so I can't comment on the size of the upstairs dining area.

As you would expect, the menu consists largely (but not quite exclusively) of pizzas with all the usual toppings. The prices were in line with what you'd expect from most pizza places, ranging from 7 or 8 Euros for a large Margherita pizza to 14 or 15 Euros for a pizza topped with various meats and vegetables.

Favorite Dish: I opted for:

Campania pizza - medium size - Cost: Approx 8 Euros

An oven baked pizza with a thin base and crispy crust. Topped with diced bacon and a fried egg at its centre. Not spectacular by any means, but not memorably bad either - just a run-of-the-mill pizza!

Fresh lemon juice - Cost: Approx 3 Euros

A glass of freshly squeezed lemon juice served with a bottle of mineral water and a few sachets of sugar. The idea was to mix the lemon juice, water and sugar in the right proportions to create a tasty, refreshing juice. I failed miserably and ended up with a sour and bitter concoction!

Standard pizzas in a convenient location for a late night bite to eat.

• Vilaadentro: History and Great Food

by ramblingrose Written Feb 12, 2005

tile mural

Normally I like eating outside but I am very glad I took a look inside this restaurant before sitting down. In the back room there are several tile murals and an entrance to the old well. We arrived at the end of lunch time and had the full attention of our waiter David. He told us the history of the wells, some local folklore, and about local foods and innovations.

Favorite Dish: For our main course we shared a catapalana, a sort of fish stew that is a specialty in the Algarve. Then for desert we had an almond cake and an almond tart and a taste of a carob cake. And, at David's suggestion, to finish the meal we each had a glass of Amarguinha - an almond liqueur- with a touch of fresh squeezed lemon. I would have to say that this meal and the service was the best of our entire trip.

• Archeology

• alyf1961's Profile Photo

CHELSEA: DELICIOUS

by alyf1961 Written Feb 27, 2013

Chelsea café had delicious cakes and pastries baked on the premises. I had a café galao (pronounced café galo) which is the same as a latte. During my visit (not all at the same time) I tried a donut simples, éclair, regionas (little almond cake in the shape of a melon) and a fruit tart, all were delicious and although the café/shop was quite small it got very busy.

It was also very cheap. A cafe galao was 1 euro and cakes were all about 1 euro (thats why I had so many of them)

Favorite Dish: ALL OF THEM

• alyf1961's Profile Photo

TACO D’OURO: A SPORTS BAR

by alyf1961 Written Mar 2, 2013

This sports bar is on the avenue 5th of October in Faro.it is just opposite the Law courts. I went here a couple of times as they sold a delicious café galao (latte) as well as beer and spirits. The walls were plastered with scarves and banners of football clubs from around Europe. There were a few English teams scarves, Man united, Man city, Derby county and Chelsea among others unfortunately no Leeds United (I will take them one next time I go). Two large TV screens played football matches. The couple of times I visited they showed a Portugese match and an English one (Man U v QPR).

Favorite Dish: I had a latte but everybody else were drinking beer.

• Brisvegaskid's Profile Photo

By the Marina: Faro Seafood

by Brisvegaskid Written Jun 13, 2007

Yes...it was good.

We had the most fantastic meal at this restaurant near the marina - can't remember the name which is not very helpful but I can say that the boats are behind the restaurant and the ocean is in front. It's not hard to find.

Delicious food...great service....great spot. Go upstairs and out onto the verandah. The view isn't spectacular (the ocean is a bit swampy here) but it's still pretty great atmosphere..

Favorite Dish: They served cheese and bread to begin, we had a bottle of wine and we had a seafood casserole which was flavoursome and scrumptious. Fantastic.

• rrts's Profile Photo

Mariscada - Vilamoura: Seafood for all !

by rrts Updated Oct 4, 2003

Mariscada Restaurant - Fish & Seafood - Vilamoura

Mariscada is a small but very well located restaurant in the Vilamoura Marina. Although plain in decoration the atmosphere is friendly and the meals are good and at decent cost for the normal traveller. This restaurant special dishes are: "The Shelfish Cataplana", "The Shelfish Rice" and "Portuguese Lobster". Algarve Golf Card holders will also benefit from 10% discount when presenting their membership card.

Favorite Dish: "The Shelfish Cataplana"
    "The Shelfish Rice"
    "Portuguese Lobster"

• Women's Travel
    • Seniors

Instant Answers: Faro

Comments

Faro Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Faro restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Faro sightseeing.