This is my favorite point in Algarve.
After a long walk, or a short ride by car, you are at a beautiful natural point, 5 Km from town. Naturism is still possible in Pinheirinhos, one of its secluded beaches.
This small military fortress, located at end of the promenade was built between 1680 and 1690 to defend Lagos from attack by enemy boats entering the bay, protecting the wealth and property of its citizens. The fort constitutes one of the best and well preserved examples of this type of military installation and features a moat, turrets and a small chapel. Today the fort is used for exhibitions and other cultural activities and you get some magnificent views of Lagos bay from the battlements.
Open: 9.30am-12.30pm & 2-5pm Tues-Sun. Closed Mondays.
Guarding the entrance to the Harbour is the Forte da Ponta da Bandeira " fort at the Flag point" who's real name is actually Fortaleza Nossa Senhora da Penha de franca which was constructed at the end of the 17th Century at the mouth of the river which flows around Lgos, The fort because of it's strategic position provides an ocean gateway defending the city of Lagos from attack by enemy ships entering the bay.
Construction began about 1680 and finished in 1690 acording to the inscription in stone over the main door, also recording it's dedication to Soberana and Santa Virgem Senhora da penha do Franca, hence it's name. It is known locally as the Fortaleza da Ponta da Bandeira after the area in which it is situated.
This is certainly one of the best and most well preserved examples of this type of millitary fortification in the ancient kingdom of the Algarve, thanks mainly to restoration work carried out between 1958 and 1960
It is now used to house exhibitions and an entrance fee is currently charged at Euro 2.20
Since Lagos was an important naval centre it was necessary to defend the harbour and the city from pirates, so in the 17th-century the Ponta da Bandeira's fortress was built in order to protect the people of Lagos.