Closed to traffic since the flooding of 1989, this old bridge may be crossed by foot, linking both sides of Gião river right in the centre of town. It is one of the city's landmarks, but, though initially built in the 3rd century, this actual look comes from the 17th, so "Roman" is just an historic name.
The bridge was not built by Romans, it was built in 12th century.
Now it is the main "beauty" of the city and it connects two parts of center of Tavira - Municipality on one side and restaurants area on another bank of the river.
The impressive seven arched "Roman bridge" is now not considered to be Roman after a recent archaeological survey. It was actually built in 1656 by the architect Mateus do Couto and by the French engineer Pedro de Santa Colomba on the origins of a 12th Century Moorish bridge. This was a good time economically for Tavira, which established itself an important port for sailors and fishermen. It was become a tourist symbol for the town in recent years and makes for some nice photos.
The Old bridge in Tavira is a great example of Medieval construction that links the two parts of the town across the River Gilão, Although called The Roman bridge it is clearly of Medieval design and construction (probably about 12th c) but may well be on the site of an old Roman one.
It is a great place to take a stroll or to sit and relax while watching the world go by.
You will see many portuguese fishing off the bridge.
Well it is not really a roman bridge anymore as it was rebuilt after the famous earthquake but it is still called roman after that!
It used to be the only way to connect both parts of the city and after some floods it got destroyed so they did a temporal one also that became permanent as it is still there ;-)