Street and house decoration, Évora

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Bougainvillea Blossoms

by Bwana_Brown Updated Nov 21, 2004

Bougainvillia Blossoms

OK, let's face it - I love Bougainvillea wherever I see them. It must be a throwback to my Zambian and Papua New Guinea days where these things grew like crazy! When I see the colourful blossoms of this plant, I know that I have once again reached somewhere on this planet that is beyond the reach of Canadian blizzards!

These woody and thorn-armoured evergreen vines (native to South America) are named after a Frenchman, Louis Antoine de Bougainville who spotted them while sailing around the world in 1767. They typically grow by sprawling across any surface that will support them, usually adorning walls with a magnificent display of leaves and beautiful blossoms. But they can also grow by themselves as very colourful stand-alone bushes, with their blossoms coming in many different hues.

This particular vine was growing along the inner walls of the Jardim do Paco restaurant as we sat there in the shade enjoying our cool drinks on a hot afternoon in Evora! The great thing about Portugal is that almost every city, town or village has these growing in various decorative ways!

• globetrott's Profile Photo

street-names made of tiles & more

by globetrott Updated Jun 7, 2009

It was a surprise for me to see these wonderful tiles, that are used in order to indicate the streets-names. You will find them mostly in the old part of Evora, within the medieval townwalls.
    Something else that I enjoyed a lot in Evora was the great arcades on Praca de Giraldo, for easy shoping and walking protected against sun and rain (see them in my last 2 pics)

• Architecture