Street scenes, Évora

Know about this?

• Caped students are seen everywhere, day and night
    Caped students are seen everywhere, day...
    by VdV
  • Black capes abound in this university town
    Black capes abound in this university...
    by VdV
    I wish I were 20 years younger!
  • VdV's Profile Photo

The Black Capes

by VdV Written Feb 4, 2007
    Black capes abound in this university town

Don't be alarmed if you are stepping out from a restaurant or bar onto one of Evora's small, cobblestoned streets and suddenly you are confronted by a group of black-caped individuals. No, they are not vampires--they are university students.

You will see them all over the city, day and night. I was so intrigued by the capes that I actually found a store that sold these unique school uniforms, and was about to buy one for myself until my friend Angie said, "You're going to bring that home, put it on and say 'I look like an old person trying be Harry Potter!' " O.k. Angie's advice brought me back to my senses, but there is something very dramatic about those black capes!

Throughout Portugal (and other European countries), you can find students wearing these dramatic uniforms. If anything, maybe I will buy a cape on my return visit--they sure look like they keep you warm on cool nights!

• Study Abroad

• micas_pt's Profile Photo

White houses with yellow or blue stripes

by micas_pt Written Apr 12, 2004

Évora’s typical houses, as well as in the Alentejo region, are painted in white and have blue or yellow stripes around the windows, doors and at the bottom. Some say that the blue stripes were meant to keep the bad spirits way from the house and owners. I wonder if the yellow has the same meaning, probably it does.

• micas_pt's Profile Photo

Pigeons

by micas_pt Updated Apr 12, 2004

Évora’s main squares and also tiny side streets are full of pigeons. It is always fun to observe little children feeding them or running after them trying, in vain, to grab them. If you look up, you will notice that there are a lot of pigeons hiding in the lamps, windows and roofs. Even the beautiful round window of the Cathedral was covered in pigeons when I visited it.

Instant Answers: Évora