This conventual church was established during D. João II and D. Manuel reigns, to substitute the primitive one, coming from the foundation of the country.
Magnificent example of late gothic with a multiplicity of influences, mainly from Spain and France, it includes also the famous bones chapel.
Just beside the Roman temple, this cathedral built between the 12th and 13th century and where Romanesque melts with Gothic, its easy to visit and surely deserves it.
From the 14th to the 18th centuries it received a few addings, with different styles, that is possible to verify and compare.
The St. Francis Church was built between 1480 and 1510 in gothic-manueline style by the stonemason masters Martim Lourenço and Pero de Trilho. There is a very beautiful golden altar and nice and large azulejos to admire. Well worth a visit!
Directly in the very center of Evora facing the Praça de Giraldo you will find the St Anton's Church from the 16th century. During our visit to Evora as an excursion of the Euromeet we had a look at this large and beautiful church. Inside the stones are keep in a very light color, but interesting altars bring in some color.
UNESCO world heritage, this church is one of the best examples of Portuguese Renaissance style.
In 1834 it was nationalized and transformed in military headquarters, accelerating its ruin. Some altars were transferred elsewhere and the restoring works about 50 years ago saved the building, but with severe losses inside.
It had a very interesting temporary display when we visited it
The Igreja de São Francisco church started as a Romanesque church bf 1226.. This building was replaced between 1475 and the 1550 by the present Gothic church.
Mo-Sa: 9AM - 12.45PM and 2.30PM - 5.10PM
Su: 10AM -12.45PM and 2.30PM - 5.10PM
The franciscan church is certainly the most beautiful and ornate of all churches in Evora, concerning its interior, even though it does not look very impressive from outside. Most tourists will go to that church and will visit only the tiny bone-church next to it, that was part of the franciscan monastery once.
The church of St. Antao is the big church overlooking the main square of Evora and it has an interesting interior with decorations of pure gold and in some parts you will find paintings in combination with tiles, that looked very unique for me.
Real human bones on every wall..
It was build by a monk that, in the baroque spirit of that era, wanted to transmit the message of life being transitory, as you can see in the famous warning at the entrance “Nós ossos que aqui estamos pelos vossos esperamos” or in English: “We bones that are here, for your bones we wait”. The chapel is formed by 3 spans of 18,70 meters in length and 11 meters width, the light enters through 3 small openings on the left. It's walls and eight pillars are "decorated" with bones and skulls held together by cement. The ceiling is made in white painted brick and are painted with death reminding motifs. The number of skeletons was calculated to be about 5000, coming from the cemeteries that were situated inside churches, of the monks religious order. (Wikipedia)
Given by the crown in 1665, the Carmelites settled down in the old sixteenth century palace founded by D. Jaime de Braganca, conqueror of Northern Africa in 1513. The wrought iron railing in the main entrance of the church and the imposing front door remain from the former palace. The front door is embellished by the knot shape which symbolizes the House of Braganca.
This 16th-Century church features a Palladian facade, above which sit four muscular figures, each supporting a globe. The four figures are nicknamed "Os Meninos," or "the children."
This church, with well-defined Roman elements, is considered one of the first works of Renaissance style in Portugal.
St. Francis Church was built between 1480 and 1510 and it is said that Gil Vicente is buried here...
The most impressive part of the complex is the chapel next to it, the chapel of the bones... See next tip.
This church, commonly known as Igreja dos Lóios, is nowadays a private property (no photos allowed inside). Inside, you may admire some beautiful Portuguese tiles – azulejos – that date from the 18th century. This church is known as Church of Lóios because it is part of the 15th century Convent of Lóios, nowadays converted into a beautiful and luxurious Inn – Pousada dos Lóios. The guests to this Inn sleep on the monks’ cells (turned into luxury rooms) and may have dinner on the Convents’ cloisters.
Igreja dos Meninos da Graca
Sponsored by D.Joao II and the Counts of Vimioso, this church, with well-defined Roman elements, is considered one of the first works of Renaissance style in Portugal, where worked Miguel de Arruda and Nicolau Chanterenne. The latter sculpted the chronogram of 1537 in the delicate frieze of the high altar. The marmor altar can now be seen at the Museum of Evora. In 1595 the poetess Publia Hortencia de Castro, from Vila Viçosa, was burried in the cloister.
This church is one of the churches in Evora that people don't usually go. Its often closed and now the interior only opens to temporary exhibitions ordered by the military service building besides the church.
The Igreja de Nª Senhora da Graça church dates from 1540 and is one of the first Renaissance style churches. Four huge stone figures of Atlas form a part of the facade.