Monsaraz Off The Beaten Path

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Monsaraz

• quartinb's Profile Photo

reguengos

by quartinb Updated Oct 11, 2005

Reguengos de Monsaraz is a wine-making town. Here, as in Monsaraz, blankets are woven and furniture painted in the traditional style.
    The name Reguengos signified a parcel of land on which the tenant owed dues directly to the crown. if you are in the area and you want more offers shoping wise or restaurant otherwise just go down the hill towards reguengos de monsaraz.

Reguengos de Monsaraz

Reguengos de Monsaraz

Reguengos de Monsaraz is a small town situated near Monsaraz. The center of the town has an interesting church to visit (the one on my photo).

Reguengos might be an option for having a meal or doing some shopping, as this town provides a wider choice of restaurants and shops than Monsaraz; also not being so touristy, prices are not as high as in Monsaraz.

By the water

Island on the lake

As a consequence of the inauguration of the dam, a village “drowned” (Aldeia da Luz) and its replica was built on a higher spot. A lot of people visit this new replica nowadays. I have been there but I won’t recommend as a must see if you are short of time while visiting this area – there are for sure other places which are much more interesting and beautiful, as is the case of Mourão.

Also due to the dam, the existing villages and plains saw their space “decreased” and some of them were “lucky” enough to be situated by the waterfront. One of them is Mourão, where there has been a huge growth on the price of houses and land.

On some spots of the lakes it is visible little “islands” with trees and houses, as is the one on my photo, shot near Mourão.

Alqueva

Sunset on the lake, near Monsaraz

This dam has been planned for such a long time that somewhere in time nobody believed that it would ever come to be completed. But it was completed and inaugurated a few years ago.

It is built on River Guadiana and since it went into functioning some beautiful lakes formed on the plains of Alentejo; due to this Dam this area is nowadays referred to as the “Big Lakes” region. As a consequence of the lakes, there are varied spots for practicing water sports and boat trips, some of them on the outskirts of Monsaraz.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

A Useful Post Office!

by Bwana_Brown Updated Oct 30, 2004

Town Square in Reguengos de Monsaraz

On the morning that we left Evora for Monsaraz, we had tried to phone the Canadian Consulate in Lisbon in response to a message that they had left with our Pensao the day before. However, having only reached their answering machine, we decided to get underway while the day was still fresh. About an hour later, we pulled into the small town of Reguengos de Monsaraz for fuel, so I decided to look around for a public telephone for another try. Eventually I spotted the Post Office off the town square. In I went looking for a phone and, sure enough, there was one looking just like a regular house phone sitting on a little table. When I picked it up I got a dial tone so I phoned Lisbon again but, once again, no luck with a human. I waltzed out to the car thinking that this was a great country - free long distance telephone service!!

We continued on to Monsaraz where I tried to call a third time, from a pay phone in the middle of the village - no luck. On our way back through Reguengos I decided to try one more time at the Post Office to save searching for another phone. I managed to find the same lonely telephone - this time finally getting through to the Consular Official to lay the problem to rest (please see my 'Lisbon' page Off-the-Beaten-Path tip for details of the problem). Great, so once again I waltzed out the door as happy as could be! All of a sudden I heard voices behind me and turned to see two employees halfway out the door beckoning me to come back. It soon became evident that I owed them 0.26 Euros for my call. I guess I should have known that it seemed too good to be true - but still dirt cheap! Actually, the pay phone system all over the country was fantasic. Only a few coins, usually less than 1 Euro, and you could hold a decent conversation anywhere in the country!

• johnsakura's Profile Photo

Menhir of Outeiro

by johnsakura Updated Jan 29, 2004

menir monsaraz portugal

Menhir of Outeiro stands almost 6 metres tall.
    This symbolic remains date back to between 4.000 and 2.000 years BC.
    You have to go down to the new village of Reguengos de Monsaraz and go left ahead until you find the sign "Menir" and you can obviously see the monument.
    You can notice some carved circles on the stone.

• johnsakura's Profile Photo

Anta Megalith Monument

by johnsakura Written Jan 29, 2004

monsaraz alentejo portugal

In the surrounding area of Monsaraz are several fascinating surviving megalith monuments that are comparatively easy to find as they are mainly sign posted at the side of the road with the word “Anta”. These symbolic remains date back to between 4.000 and 2.000 years BC. Over 130 sites have been recorded in the surrounding countryside.

Instant Answers: Monsaraz

Comments

Monsaraz Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Monsaraz off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Monsaraz sightseeing.