Monsaraz Transportation

• micas_pt's Profile Photo

By car

by micas_pt Written Dec 23, 2004

View from the parking

Traffic is restricted within the village. You must park your car outside the walls, on a free parking. The park is very near the entrance door, so you won’t have to walk for a long time. The road to arrive in Monsaraz, driving from Reguengos, is winding and very scenic, so be sure to enjoy the pleasant drive up the hill.

The village is small and easy to explore by foot. The streets are built in irregular stones so don’t forget to wear comfortable shoes (which can also be very useful to walk on the castle).

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

The Passing Countryside

by Bwana_Brown Updated Jul 12, 2004

Cork Oak Hillside

I don't think that I ever got over my enjoyment of cruising along the rolling Alentejo countryside with beautiful vistas of cork oak trees dotted here and there! The shape of the trees themselves was so pleasing to my eye, as well as the spread out look across the hillsides, that I kept wanting to stop to take a photo to properly catch the atmosphere - but I never did succeed! I think they reminded me of Acacia trees from Africa!! Like the tour books say, I think that this part of Portugal has the prettiest countryside to drive through. It seemed to vary from wheat fields, to olive groves, vinyards and cork oak plantations!

This scene was taken between Reguengos de Monsaraz and Monsaraz itself.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Hired Car in a Farmer's Lane

by Bwana_Brown Updated Jul 12, 2004

Farmer's Lane near Redondo

This was our 4th day on the road since we had left Lisbon and, having enjoyed ourself in Monsaraz in the morning, as well as doing a bit of shopping in Redondo, we were now getting ready for some serious driving north along the Spanish border to reach Castelo Branco.

Our little rented Fiat Punto now had about 1000 km (600 miles) on it and we were quite enjoying its compact size when negotiating some of the narrow village streets!

By 1 PM, we decided to enjoy our first 'car picnic' of the trip, using the cheese, bread and wine that we had bought at the Supermercado in Redondo. We had not long left there for Vila Vicosa when we spotted a narrow lane leading into a farmer's field so we pulled in for a secluded lunch spot !

Instant Answers: Monsaraz

Comments

Monsaraz Transportation

Reviews and photos of Monsaraz transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Monsaraz sightseeing.