Located on the hill side of the mountain range of Viana, from its name São Pedro (Saint Peter) not much is known about its foundation and creation from which seems to be connected with late gothic Portuguese manuelino style.
Today only some ruins exist aside with a field of olive trees and crop fields where some cows happily eat in the pasture.
The first building body is construted by 1500’s style from the manuelino epoch and the mudéjar art. The recently fallen “nortex” is from the 1600’s. There are still some visible painted frescos on the building
Near the town, the vast church and sanctuary of Our Lady of Aires, rising on a beautiful plain, has attracted pilgrims since 1743 and its interior walls are almost completely lined with humble ex-votos (offerings) forming a contrast with the chancel´s gold canopy: this makes it a curious live "museum" of popular art and the festivities in honour of Our Lady of Aires, held in September and which include a three-days fair, are equally colourful, with dancing, singing and a typical bullfight.
The plains of the Alto Alentejo offer a home to the "abetarda" (bustard), one of the most stout birds of the Portuguese fauna.