Batalha Restaurants

• solopes's Profile Photo

Mosteiro do Leitão: What a disappointment

by solopes Written Feb 17, 2013
    Batalha

More than suckling pig, "Leitão" is a magic word, used in Portugal to promote a restaurant that "promises" a good experience.

Close to the monastery, replacing a former restaurant long time closed, someone opened this "new" restaurant. After several times passing by it, the time to stop and try just arrived.

First deception - the modern image is restricted to the facade. Entering, we meet the inexpressive image of the old and common place.

Only a couple in another table, but we had to wait more than ten minutes for the menu.

The menu had a dish that I appreciate much but rarely eat, because it is usually made for two and Fernanda doesn't follow me - "Massinha de robalo". This time, she was in the mood, but... the waiter advised us not to choose it.

Following his recommendation I chose a grilled rib and Fernanda grilled skids.

It was bad - the meat looked like moved directly from the (long) freeze to the charcoal, and the "skids" were a single, big and hard skid.

The price... well the price was exactly the double of what I paid seven days later in Santarém, in Taverna Rentini for a large, fresh, very well flavored and grilled rib.

Shall I say more?

• solopes's Profile Photo

Vinho em qualquer circunstância: Wine tasting

by solopes Updated Oct 11, 2012
    Batalha - Portugal

Usually, people eat and choose the most appropriated drink to complement the food. Sometimes, specially when the drink is wine, they reverse the option.

That's what happens here - the subject is... wine, and the food is chosen to match the wine. It may make sense for an expert, that I'm not. So... a different experience, three good wines, and... some food. Not cheap, as expected.

• Wine Tasting

• berenices's Profile Photo

Burro Velho: Only the location and decor are worth noting

by berenices Updated Dec 30, 2010

We found this restaurant easily enough as it was very conveniently located behind the monastery, on the row of restaurants and commercial establishments where the tourism office and souvenir shops with plenty of white and blue plates are displayed in front. It seemed decent enough, with a modern ambience.

It was quite late for lunch already, so there was practically just us there, and another table nearby. Also, their plates for the day were no longer available. We had to order what they said could come more quickly, as they would be closing soon.

We ended up choosing blood sausage (morcela) for starters -- nothing really special about it, a steak which was so tough I ended up just eating the vegetable mix accompaniment, a mash of cabbages, beans, and breadcrumbs (which i think was the only one relatively good choice, though a tad dry, in the entire fare we ordered). We also had grilled meat and seafood mix, which was presented in a traditional way, hanging (see photo) and codfish. All the meats were tough, and the codfish was so-so. The table of course looked really nice with all these various dishes seemingly well presented, but it ended there. Even the french fries tasted like those you buy frozen in supermarkets. The servings were big, and one serving can be shared. Still, I'd go for quality anytime.

We didn't enjoy this meal at all obviously. All in all, unsatisfying. So out of character in this region which is known for its gastronomy. Not recommended at all.

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

Pastelaria Oliveira: A bakery with sandwiches and burgers

by mikelisaanna Updated Jul 9, 2006
    The pastelaria Oliveira

The Pastelaria Oliveira was a small bakery that also has a limited lunch menu (sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs). It was clean and the service was very friendly. It was a nice place to grab a snack after touring the Batalha monastery.

• Religious Travel
    • Architecture

• acemj's Profile Photo

Restaurante Esplanada: Airy, upstairs location

by acemj Updated Jul 9, 2003

After visiting the abbey, we were hungry and decided to try one of the restaurants in the area right next to it. This place looked adequate so we went upstairs and grabbed a table in a room that looks like a sunroom that was added on to the original building. There were a number of people eating and socializing so we figured it must be good. The staff was friendly, but it took over forty minutes to get our food. I don't let this kind of thing bother me when I'm on vacation though! I just used the time to think about the beautiful abbey I had just seen and to review some of the pictures I had just taken with my digital camera.

Favorite Dish: We ordered creme bacalhau (not sure if that's spelled right?), which I can only compare to a tuna casserole made with fresh cod instead! It was excellent. Check out a picture of the food under local tips.

Instant Answers: Batalha

Comments

Batalha Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Batalha restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Batalha sightseeing.