Évora Travel Guide

Évora Things to Do

by solopes Written Apr 7, 2015

When I was born, there where in Turquel a maximum of 2 cars (my father bought the 5th). Life was limited to a few kilometres, being Alcobaça the distant metropolis and Lisbon the other world.
    Popular parties assumed a role almost unique in the standards of living of the populations, some settlements specializing on certain dates, which would invariably be associated with the image of the town. Capuchos, in the parish of Évora, is, thus and since always, synonymous with St. John, one of the most traditional and popular festivals of the region.
    On the other hand, when we investigate any historical detail of any village in the area, we end, without any redress, talking about monks. Curiously, until yesterday, I never needed to associate Capuchos with monks, but ... I was doomed. Featuring a few minutes in Capuchos, I found myself walking the space of the party that I don't know if it still continues as in the old days, crossing memories and discoveries. I was surprised with the image of the Chapel, recovered and with good look, forcing me to read.
    And there I was redirected to the inevitable monks.
    The Capuchos convent or Santa Maria Magdalene, already in ruins, is now partially recovered. Behind the picnic Park, are the remains of the former convent who gave name to the place, founded by Cardinal D. Henrique in 1566, in connection with the monastery.
    The Liberal revolutions in the 18th century led to the expulsion of the monks and the convent was degrading, first stripped by monks and then assaulted by the people. It was for a long time just a ruin, but today what's left of it is recovered (blessed tourism).
    Of the religious buildings, only the chapel named Senhor dos Aflitos, may be seen, with a coat over the door, and only a handful of original tiles.

Capuchos - ��vora de Alcoba��a Capuchos - ��vora de Alcoba��a Capuchos - ��vora de Alcoba��a

Évora Favorites

by solopes Updated Dec 28, 2013

Favorite thing: Near the church a stone with a cross is a religious mark. I don't know from when and what to sign (there are Latin inscriptions but that's not my strongest point)

by solopes Updated Dec 28, 2013

Favorite thing: This small chapel near the main church has a beautiful Manueline door. Till now, I couldn't find information about its origin.

by solopes Updated Dec 28, 2013

Favorite thing: A Gothic temple from the 14Th century shows a Manueline door and a bas relief from the 15Th century.

Inside a the baptismal sink has also Manueline ornaments.

Instant Answers: Évora

Comments

Évora Travel Guide
Map of Évora