Cacilhas Travel Guide

• Church of Nossa Senhora do Bom Sucesso, Cacilhas
    Church of Nossa Senhora do Bom Sucesso,...
    by jumpingnorman
    Cacilhas, Portugal
    by jumpingnorman
  • Jumpingkids at Cacilhas, Portugal Sept 9, 2009
    Jumpingkids at Cacilhas, Portugal Sept...
    by Jumping

Cacilhas Things to Do

by jumpingnorman Updated Feb 15, 2013

Well, I'll just bundle up things we did on this wonderful riverside town in one tip....SEAFOOD! Once we arrived at the ferry, a waiter immediately tried to entice us to go and have seafood in their restaurant. What we did was just see where people were eating and ate seafood there ---- we chose the fresh fish and they cooked them for us. I had the crab and and it was yummy!

Then after eating, walk around this little city located in the municipality of Almada. We saw a very nice red lighthouse, and beside it a nice ancient boat I think. And then I do remember taking pictures of kids who were jumping off a bridge, and we did get a good jumping shot of them, hehehe (suspended in mid-air).

Very nice quaint little town...we walked as far back as to a small church located just a few blocks away from the harbor. Would love to go back again!

Yummy seafood at Cacilhas, Portugal Red lighthouse at Cacilhas, Portugal JumpingNorman, Church at Cacilhas, Portugal

by jumpingnorman Updated Feb 15, 2013

You can't miss this church when you are walking around Cacilhas. It is called the Church of Nossa Senhora do Bom Sucesso (Our Lady of the Good Success).

This is an ununsual color for a church, and so my sister and I took pictures outside of it.
    But the significance of this church is in relation to the "great earthquake of November 1, 1755, which devastated Lisbon, forced the Tejo River up the roads to Cacilhas nearby. But the waters withdrew after people prayed before the image of Our Lady. Ever since, an annual celebration honors the local Patroness, Our Lady of Good Success, with penitential rites, concerts, and a procession on All Saints Day, November 1."

So, if you are in Cacilhas on November 1st, visit this church to honor the image of Our Lady.

Church of Nossa Senhora do Bom Sucesso, Cacilhas

• Cacilhas Hotels

0 Hotels in Cacilhas

Cacilhas Transportation

by jumpingnorman Updated Feb 15, 2013

It is so easy to take the ferry from Lisbons’ Cais do Sodré (every 10 minutes) to Cacilhas at the other side of the river Tagus. Cais do Sodré is situated at Praça do Duque da Terceira (and his Statue) in central Lisbon on the bank of Tagus River.

Transtejo is the main ferry compoany for crossing at the Tagus River. And it's not just tourists who use them, but people who work across the river from their homes. The return ticket cost 1,20 euro (2008) from what I researched because I forgot how much I paid in 2009 - but it was really inexpensive.

Also from Cacilhas you can take the bus to the beaches of Caparica.

Ferry going to Cacilhas, Portugal Ferry going to Cacilhas, Portugal

Instant Answers: Cacilhas

Comments

Cacilhas Travel Guide
Map of Cacilhas