Cascais Restaurants

by LoriPori

Most Recent Restaurants in Cascais

Chequers Int. Bar and Restaurante: Outside dining in Cascais

by suvanki Updated Jun 21, 2009

Gerry admires Hansis' skill with a kebab

Chequers is one of a handful of restaurants located in the Praça Luis de Camões in the centre of Cascais. The tables from these restuarants are all packed into this square, providing a lively atmosphere. There are also tables inside and through the other side of the restaurant.
    I ate here a couple of times during the VT Euromeet, and each time I was impressed with my meals, and the friendly service we received.

The first time I ate here was on the Sunday(31st May) Lunch time, after some had completed the walk around Cascais, so there was quite a gathering. I think that some ate at the adjacent John Bull Restaurant, so were all still sat together.
    The following evening, a smaller group of us returned.

Chequers has quite an extensive menu (translated into English, and I think German and French) with some Portuguese specialities
    Starters from 1 euro to 8.95 euros
    Fish , including Sea Bass, Sea Bream, Sardines and salted Cod. (5.50 -14.99 euros)
    Meat including Tenderloin and Sirloin Steaks, lamb chops. Kebabs (see Pic of Hansi!)
    (7.45 -19.95 euros)
    Seafood , including seafood stew for 2 people and Garlic shrimps and prawns.(9.45 -65.00 Euros)
    'International Dishes' -Fajitas, cajun chicken, lasagne, pasta, chicken curry.(7.50- 10.99 euros)

There is also a 'Light Menu' (3.45 Euros to 8.95 Euros)

Omelettes, Hot and cold Sandwiches(served with salad), Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, and assorted salads

Favorite Dish: On the Sunday lunch, I enjoyed my Grilled Chicken Salad (pic 3) which consisted of warm pieces of chicken fillet, arranged on a fresh salad of lettuce, cucumber and tomato. 6.50 Euros.

The following evening, I had a burger, which isn't something that I usually chose from a menu. However, I was pleased with my choice- probably the nicest Burger I've had - the meat was flavoured with delicate spices. I wish now that I'd asked the waiter about the recipe.The bread roll was soft and fresh too, with just a hint of sweetness.
    Basic burger, with lettuce, tomato and onion 5.95 euros.

I was quite impressed with the meals that I'd had here and the surrounding restaurants. The standard of food and service was very good, especially as at times it was quite busy.

O Poeta: Restaurante and Winebar

by suvanki Updated Jun 21, 2009

O Poeta - my squid

I ate here a couple of times during my stay in Cascais. The first time was on my second night, during the pre pre Euromeet meet on the Thursday night. A group of us headed for food, and ended up here

There are a number of tables here, belonging to the various restaurants that border this square. Including Chequers and John Bull as well as O Poeta, which is the 'Barbie pink' building.

O Poeta specialises in Portuguese Cuisine, which includes Fish- especially sardines, seafood, beef, pork and steak cooked on a hot stone! There are also pizzas, burgers, salads etc.

The waiters are all very friendly and helpful, and ours obligingly took many photos of our group.
    A nice atmosphere, perfect for groups of friends, families and couples.

Favorite Dish: I thoroughly enjoyed my squid, which although was grilled and served with boiled potatoes, it was very different to my previous nights meal. This had garlic and a light sauce.

This was washed down with a nice wine-we purchased a few bottles to share.
    I'm not sure of the cost -we divided the bill between us, but it was an average price for Cascais.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

O Poeta: Dinner al fresco

by toonsarah Updated Jun 21, 2009

At O Poeta

A group of us went looking for dinner on our first evening and settled on O Poeta mainly because it was the first restaurant we came to that could seat all seven of us. But it proved to be an excellent choice. The service was very friendly: one waiter happily took loads of photos for us as one camera after another was handed to him, and another came over to say goodbye when he finished his shift part way through our meal. And we liked the location, with tables set out in the busy Largo Luis de Camões. Incidentally, Luis de Camões was a noted Portuguese poet, hence (I assume) the name of this restaurant.

Favorite Dish: The menu had plenty of choice, and all of us were happy with our selections. I enjoyed my grilled squid, which were served with boiled potatoes and spinach, and other dishes that came in for lots of praise were the sardines and Andy’s “steak on hot stone” (which you cook yourself so can have it exactly done to your own taste). I also really liked the “couvert” which consisted of delicious soft cheese to spread on the good crusty rolls.

It seems I was too happy to be finally at my second VT Euromeeting to make any note of the prices, but I do recall that everything seemed reasonable for the quality.

COMPANHIA DAS SANDES: FOOD COURT AT CASCAIS VILLA

by LoriPori Updated Jun 15, 2009

Cascais Villa - Third Floor Food Court

Just a short walk from our Hotel Albergaria Valbom and the Train Station, is CASCAIS VILLA SHopping Mall. Well, on the Third Floor, there is a huge Food Court, serving everything from pastas, lasagne, hamburgers, Portuguese dishes, sushi, coffee & pastry and subs.
    Twice, Hans and I had lunch at COMPANHIA DAS SANDES a sub shop. For 4.99 Euro we got Menu #1 which included a tuna or chicken sub, with french fries (batata) and a drink (pequeno). There was more than enough to share, so it was a good deal for us.
    Another bonus at the Food Court, is that on one end of it there is a wonderful outdoor terrace with views of Cascais.

SAL RESTAURANT: BBQ RIBS & CHICKEN

by LoriPori Written Jun 15, 2009

SAL RESTAURANT

We learned about the special dinner promotions of Thursdays BBQ Ribs n Chicken Dinner at SAL RESTAURANT through some little flyers that were being passed around. So one night, Hans and I decided to try them out. We walked up to Rua do Poco Novo, which was just up the street from our Hotel. We were there early at 6:30 and found out when we got there that they didn't open until 7:00 p.m. A young lady soon came to the door and invited us in anyway.
    We both ordered the BBQ Ribs n Chicken Dinner (7.95 Euros) which also came with chips and a side salad. Well, they were delicious. Smothered in a wonderful BBQ sauce were two small portions of ribs and two small portions of chicken. More than enough for the two of us.

Favorite Dish: SAL also offers a Lunch Set Menu Monday to Saturday 11:30 to 15:00
    Starter of the Day
    Dessert
    Cafe
    Euro 6.00

PORTO DI MARE: ITALIAN CUISINE

by LoriPori Updated Jun 14, 2009

Porto Di Mare

As Hans and I were both in the mood for Italian, we checked out their outside Menu Board and chose PORTO DI MARE. We were seated inside. You can sit out, but on that day it was cool and quite windy.
    Hans had the Lasagne Bolognese which was 6.90 Euros and did not come with any salad. Just a plop of dried up lasagne which Hans said was not very tasty.
    I had the Spaghetti Bolognese which was 6.90 Euros and did not come with any salad ( oops, oh yeah, it had a spoonful of carrots on the plate). It was probably the worst spaghetti I have ever tasted and a very small portion. The sauce was greasy and the very few noodles that were on my plate, were gooey and tasteless. And we weren't even offered a bit of parmesan cheese.
    I guess you could say we were very disappointed with our meal. We didn't go back.

FLECHA AZUL: LOCAL FAVOURITE

by LoriPori Updated Jun 14, 2009

Flesha Azul

Many times Hans and I passed this little restaurant, after coming from or going to our Albergaria Valbom Hotel. It was always busy at lunch and always busy at dinner (after 7:00 p.m. )
    So we checked out the menu and one night we thought we would try FLECHA AZUL. Hans had a craving for an omelet, so had the Omelet with Ham, cheese and mushrooms (Omelete Mista 5.50 Euros). He says it was delicious and it also came with chips. I had grilled pork chops with chips (Costeletas Porco 5.50 Euros), which was also very good.
    You can either sit in or eat out, as there are two or three tables set up outside.
    It looked like a family run restaurant. The two brothers looked like twins. Their restaurant was clean, cozy and nicely decorated. I would recommend it.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Dom Pedro: Big Food, Tastes Great

by Roadquill Written Jun 14, 2009

Up a few steps from the Municipal building was a small restaurant called Dom Pedro. There are only 5 or so tables outside and not many more inside. The service was friendly and the food was excellent and reasonably priced. The five of us went through two liters of the house wine at only 5 euro per liter. We had a selection of fish dishes and all were very good. Including bread, cheese, wine some beer, water, was 80 euro for five.

• dila's Profile Photo

Bar O Poeta: Bar O Poeta

by dila Written Jun 11, 2009

We had a very late dinner on tuesday here with a small group

Favorite Dish: tropical salade tasted good but missed a few things inside what was on the menu.
    the pineapple was from a can and there was no other tropical fruit in it.
    there was a special kind of cheese top was cut off and you could tip a cracker in it.
    i think i paid around 8 or 9 euro s for the salade so paid around 16 for salade drinks and cheese.
    most paid around 25 to 30 euro i think
    We sat inside but it is possible to sit outside too

• dila's Profile Photo

Al Fresco: Al Fresco

by dila Updated Jun 11, 2009

Thanks to gillybob we had a dinner in Al Fresco on sunday evening. I forgot my camera so got no pictures of the dinner

Favorite Dish: most had a lasagna i had white fish

• Luxury Travel

Chequers: Popular

by Balam Updated Jun 9, 2009

A popular restaurant in a busy part of Cascais, i had a nice Cheese Burger here one lunchtime with quite a few VTers. The food that other people had also looked really nice including the Sardines and Chicken Salad.

Esplanada Santa Marta: Great Place

by Balam Written Jun 9, 2009

Esplanada Santa Marta

This is a place that you could very well just walk past without noticing and even if you did notice it situated down on a small cliff from the road it does not look much, we went on our last day and had cake and sangria, it was lovely. The food looked like it would be great as well as all the fish in the chiller cabinet looked lovely and fresh and there was a wide variety of other snacks and Hor Dourves.
    the sangria was lovely and the cake.... well it was a mixture of almond, biscuit and Chocolate cakes with Ice cream and cream on top. lovely.

Masala Indian Restaurant: Best Indian

Masala Indian Restaurant

We went in this Restaurant on my last night, It has very nice Decor and the service was excellent, we ordered Pappadums to start followed by a mixed starter of Bahjis and Samosa. I ordered Chicken Dupiaza but asked for it to be Hot Vickie had Chicken Jalfrezi and we shared a Garlic Nann.
    The food really was fantastic and it is certainly the best Indian i have had while abroad and one of the best i have ever had, it certainly is on a par with the Cafe Lahore in Oldham. The only fault if i have to find one was with the mango Chutney etc that came with the Pappadums, i would have prefered some onion with them but really that is nothing.
    I have to say that it was the best Dupiaza i have ever had, it was perfect. I am only sorry that i did not try some of their other dishes. It was that good that it may well be worth another trip to Cascais just to eat there.

O'Neils Irish Bar: A Bit of Irish

O'Neils Irish Bar

O'Neils Irish Bar is a good place to meet friends or to call in for a drink after walking around in the sun. Service is good but seems a little unorganised behind scenes especialy during the day. I prefered to pay for my drinks as i got them instead of running up a tab, thereby making it easier for the staff when they try to remember what people on certain tables had had.

The decor is typical 'Irish pub' style They do not serve a wide range of food but the BLT's certainly looked nice.

It's €4 for a pint of Carlsberg or Super Bock,

Favorite Dish: Those BLT's look nice

• Singles

Sobe e Desce: Pancakes and Pastries

by suvanki Updated Jun 7, 2009

My lemon pancake, OJ and coffee

I called in here for brunch, as I'd noticed that there were lemon pancakes on the menu. I also chose freshly squeezed orange juice and a coffee.

A pleasant stylish place, with light decorations and minimal furnishings. Seating inside or out on a decking platform, above the pavement.

It seemed to be popular with local office workers.

I didn't realise until I was getting upto leave, that this place was opposite Alberge Valbom, which had become one of the VT Euromeet HQ's due to the majority of VTers staying here. There was even a VT flag wrapped around the lamp post outside.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed my light pancake with a dusting of icing sugar and lemon wedges as well as my coffee with milk and glass of freshly squeezed orange juice - .

• Women's Travel
    • Beaches

Instant Answers: Cascais

Comments

Cascais Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Cascais restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cascais sightseeing.