The Counts of Castro Guimarães Palace was constructed in 1890. It's located at the Santa Marta Cove, close to the sea.
In 1924 the buiding was transformed into the Cascais Municipal Museum.
Inside art is displayed and rich Indo-Portuguese furniture.
The library has over 25,000 books, some from the XVII century.
In the garden at the right of the main entrance the Capela de S. Sebastião is located.
In the rear the museum borders t the Gandarinha Park.
Tu-Fr: 10AM - 5PM
Sa-Su: 10AM - PM & 2PM - 5PM
Situated In a lovely park this magnificent house is well worth a visit, The exterior and the interior are lovely with many fine works of art and items of archaeological interest and maps of archaeological sites besides a magnificent libary and a small collection of old weapons in the tower room.
Entrance is €2 but apears to be free on Wednesdays.
You can not take pictures inside :-(
This beautiful but small palace built at the end of the 19th century was next to our hotel and we admired it every day we walked past on our way into Cascais. At night when lit up it looked even more magnificent and on the last day we decided we must visit as it is open to the public.
Jorge O'Neill commissioned the mansion which has many beautifully decorated rooms which today remain in original condition. O'Neill sold the mansion soon after completion. Nearly all rooms are open for public inspection, however no photos are allowed inside.
We climbed the tower which was a worthwhile experience. You need to allocate an hour to view this mansion.
Set in peaceful gardens, this pretty yellow building houses a museum displaying works of art depicting scenes of Cascais by Portuguese and foreign artists, Indo-Portuguese porcelain and an excellent archaeology section.
Stroll around the quiet gardens - the only noise coming from the resident peacocks! A mini-zoo will amuse young & old alike.
Look out for the displays of azulejos dotted around the gardens, in particular the ornamental pond (complete with lion statue & friendly ducks!) close to the entrance.
The Tower of S. Sebastião now is the Condes de Castro Guimarães Museum , date of the beginning of century XX and was ordered to build for the aristocrat Jorge O'Neil. It is a notable example of the romantic architecture, the Tower of S. Sebastião fascinates for the mixture of styles. The Museum-Library of the Condes de Castro Guimarães officially was inaugurated the 12 of July of 1931, having been during wide years only the existing one in the Cascais region.