Cascais Transportation

Train at Cascais station
  • Cascais-bound train at Lisbon's Cais do Sodre
    Cascais-bound train at Lisbon's Cais do...
    Cascais train station

Best Rated Transportation in Cascais

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Cascais Rail Transport

by Mikebb Written Oct 28, 2008

Train At Station

We used the rail transport 4 or 5 times and found it to be fast, clean and cheap. We took a day trip to Lisbon, only 35 minutes and 1.70 Euro one way senior fare. I think a return ticket is $2.90 Euro.

Another time we caught the train to Estoril to visit the Casino, only 2 stops away.

If you want a long day you can catch the train to Lisbon, have a half day looking around and then take the train to Sintra, only approx 20 minutes from Lisbon.

• Seniors

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Aeroporto bus Airport to Lisbon and back

by suvanki Written Jun 21, 2009

Aeroporto bus at Lisbon Airport

Lisbon Portela Airport is the nearest airport to Cascais, it is located about 5 miles from Lisbon City. To reach Lisbon you can hire a car, get a taxi, or catch one of the buses which depart from outside Arrivals/Departures.

We caught the Aerobus.(CARRIS Nº91) Tickets cost 3.50 euros, and are valid for 24 hours on the buses and trams) The service runs 07:45 to 20:15pm, every 20 minutes. It makes quite frequent stops along the journey, at most of the squares on the way.
    June was stopping in Lisbon overnight, while I was heading straight for Cascais, so I stayed on the bus until the terminus at Estação Cais do Sodre, where I could catch my train to Cascais.
    You purchase your ticket from the driver, who also validates it for you -well our driver did anyway.

The buses are clean and modern. Video screens show sights of Portugal and a map of Lisbon, with the next stop displayed (see pic 3) There was also an announcement in English giving the name of the next stop. We'd picked up a free map from the Tourist Info desk at the airport, so could follow the route, as most of the bus stops were identified.
    Luggage racks for your cases etc onboard.

Allow plenty of time for your journey, if travelling during the rush hour.
    I was delayed quite a while near the end of my journey. In hindsight, I'd have been quicker, jumping off the bus and walking the few metres to the train station, but as I hadn't been to Lisbon before, I didn't have my bearings.

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo

To Cascais by train, from Lisbon

by marielexoteria Written Sep 29, 2009

Ponte 25 de abril seen from the train

From Lisbon you can take a commuter train to Cascais. The trains leave from Cais do Sodré and the trip takes about 35 minutes. I liked that the trains go along the sea and you get to see the Belem Tower and the Discoverers Monument, along the way.

The train ticket cost 2 euros as of May 2009.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

To Cascais from Sintra and Cabo da Roca

by MalenaN Written Mar 28, 2010

Rua Sebastiao

Bus number 403 which runs daily between Sintra and Cascais often goes to Cabo da Roca as well. After arriving in Sintra I asked for the timetable at the tourist information to see if there was a bus I could take after visiting Sintra. The afternoon buses that day left at 14.10, 15.25, 17.10 and 18.10 (last bus). I decided to take the 17.10 bus to Cabo da Roca and stay there for one hour and then travel on to Cascais with the last bus.

The bus leaves from a bus stop near the train station in Sintra. I used the day pass for transport between Lisbon-Sintra-Cabo da Roca-Cascais. The day pass was 12 Euro (March 2010). From Sintra to Cabo da Roca it took almost 45 minutes. At Cabo da Roca the bus stops outside the small information centre.

We were six tourists at Cabo da Roca when I visited. We had all come to the Tourist Information to wait for the bus and get warmer. But they closed at 18.40 and we had go out in the cold rain again (the roof on the porch gave some protection though. Only after a few minutes the bus for Sintra came and all other tourists went on board, but I who was going to Cascais had to wait another 10 minutes.

From Cabo da Roca to Cascais it took just over 20 minutes. In Cascais the bus stops at the bus terminal, which is situated very near the train station.

According to the timetable (valid from September 2009) there are twelve buses leaving on Mondays - Saturdays and ten buses on Sundays leaving Cascais for Sintra. Most of them also stop in Cabo da Roca, but not all.

• Redang's Profile Photo

By Car: How Far/How Long...?

by Redang Updated Mar 2, 2008

Road distances to Cascais from:
    - Estoril: 3 kms.
    - Lisbon: 31 kms.
    - Madrid (Spain): 649 kms.
    - Rome (Italy): 2.566 kms.

You also can check the website in order to find out more road distances together with driving distances and the best routes.

• TinKan's Profile Photo

New bus around town

by TinKan Updated Dec 17, 2002

Not the bus

There is a new bus system in Cascais that is not to bad.... it is called 7/7 for seven stops every seven miniutes.

The cost is .70 EURO for a one way trip but I would buy the multi-day pass.

You can walk just about everywhere in Cascais but it is nice to see the places where the locals live as well and it has A/C.
    The bus is also a good way to go when it is raining.

• Beaches

• TinKan's Profile Photo

The Train to Cascais

by TinKan Updated Dec 17, 2002

The train station

Cascais sits at the end of the coastal train route that runs from Lisbon to Cascais.

There is a train that you can take from Lisbon to Cascais about every 30 minutes or so and it is inexpensive to ride.

Be careful riding the train at night, sit in a well-lit area of the train with other people.

On the weekend the train is crowed with all the folks from Lisbon coming to enjoy the beach of Cascais.

• Trains

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Taxi Lisbon airport To Cascais

by Mikebb Written Oct 28, 2008

Arriving Lisbon International Airport on a Saturday afternoon I approached the Tourist Information desk within the airport re transport to Cascais. We agreed taxi would be best and they arranged transport for 54 Euros. The staff took us outside and called an upmarket taxi for a most comfortable 25 minute drive to Cascais.

The information desk informed us we might get cheaper, however one never knows if the driver takes the long route.

Our return to the airport a week later was a little cheaper. I asked the hotel desk to call a taxi, 3 minutes later a beautiful Mercedes arrived with driver in suit. a beautiful ride to the airport and I was thinking " this will cost". It was a great result, only 50 Euro including tip.

• Seniors
    • Women's Travel

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Free bicycles

by pieter_jan_v Written Aug 8, 2009

BICAS location at the Fortress entrance

The City Counsil of Cascais promotes cycling by offering free BICAS bicycles between 8AM and 7PM.
    You have to bring your passport and the location of the accommodation where you stay.

There's a great coastal cycle path leading all the way to Guincho Beach.

The BICAS location is in front of the fortress at the Marina; close to where the cycle path starts.

• Cycling

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Taxi from Docas to Cascais

by suvanki Written Jun 30, 2009

It had been an enjoyable (but tiring) first day of the VT Euromeet, and I was flagging. My friend Margaret had arrived straight from the airport, with her heavy case. We were planning on catching the train back to Cascais, from the restaurant in Docas, (under the impressive April 25th bridge-The one that looks like San Franciscos Golden Gate) then a taxi from Cascais station, as our hostel was uphill over some uneven pavements-and (before Gillybob says it)- the roads in that area of Cascais DO move and hide - Balam will vouch for this little known fact too!

As we passed by a taxi rank, we decided to find out how much it would cost us - we were told 'around 30 euros. Yes, the train would have been a much cheaper option, but it was the EASIER option.

Well, our driver was very pleasant, he'd lived in England for a while working as a debt recoverer, and then in Financial services. He was very interesting to chat with.

He'd also told us that the trains on the Cascais line aren't always safe at night, as gangs from an estate that we were passing, were known to rob passengers, by boarding a carriage en masse. He said that he was going to mention this to us before, when we were still considering whether to catch the train , but he hadn't wanted to influence our decision.

When we arrived at the hostel, the fare was 29 euros. Yes, money well spent in the end - and we only got lost once on the way to the hostel!

When I arrived in Cascais on my first day, I got a taxi from the train station -The Taxi Rank is outside the 'Mc Donalds' exit, not the 'shopping Mall exit'.
    I thought that I was 'being taken for a ride' (ripped off) as we seemed to pass the same place twice (and the driver had had to ask 2 people directions to the Hostel before setting off). I was also getting a bit concerned as to how far away the hostel was from the centre of Cascais, thinking that it would be a 30 minute plus hike. It turned out that this is just the 'Cascais One Way System' I was relieved to find that it was less than 5 minutes downhill. Getting back my first night it took 'a wee bit longer' - yes, I completely lost my bearings in the dark.

• Women's Travel
    • Disabilities

• ncfg's Profile Photo

Horse-drawn carriages

by ncfg Written Jul 31, 2004

Enjoy the beautiful village on a carriage drawn by horses.
    I think on the old villages and towns it is vulgar to see this kind of transportation.
    It is in fact a really enjoyable way to admire the town.

• droscar's Profile Photo

BUSCAS CIRCULAR SERVICE HANDY IN CASCAIS

by droscar Updated Sep 24, 2009

Buscas Circular Cascais - 0.60Euro/Trip

Leaves from the Railway Station every 15-20mins from 7.30am till around 10.00pm and proceeds up town via 25 abril past Cidadela Hotel where we stayed and then up town via residential area towards inferno then down coast past marina then to station again. Buscas site gives more info - in portuguese.

Fare is just 0.60 Euros. Route map not found on web but stops frequently try it and see!

• fairy_dust's Profile Photo

Train from Lisbon

by fairy_dust Written Jul 3, 2009

To get from Lisbon to Cascais, the train is the easiest and cheapest way. A train ticket doesn't cost much (less than 5 Euros) and the ride is about 45 minutes long. I think there is a train every half hour and your ticket is valid for any train that day, so you won't have to wait forever or buy a new ticket if you miss it.

Be aware that there are no bathrooms on the train so if you need to go to the bathroom, go before boarding. Otherwise, you'll end up like Claus - he needed to pee so badly that he was hanging on to the railings for dear life. Then at the next stop, he ran out of the train, peed outside, and ran back in! He almost didn't make it, but someone held the door open for him. It was the last train of the night, so if he hadn't made it back in time, he would have had to hitch a ride back to Cascais!

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Cascais Bus

by keeweechic Written Sep 12, 2008

ScottURB run buses from Lisbon to Cascais. The airport run operates from 7.00am until 10.30pm on an hourly basis. Tickets can be purchased from the bus driver. The main terminal is underneath the shopping mall. There are also regular services to Estoril and Sintra.

• Architecture

• droscar's Profile Photo

Aerobus to Cais do Sodre then train to Cascais

by droscar Updated Sep 24, 2009

Aerobus to Cais do Sodre

There are a number of useful tips on Virtualtourist about getting to Cascais. Concerning this regular low-cost service (now 3.50 Euros one-way), be aware you can end up packed like sardines and maybe losing sight of your lugage on the trip. You may also run the risk of pickpocket teams who have been reported elsewhere in VT. We beleive the taxi fare to the Cais do Sodre rail sation is around 15 Euros so take a taxi, especially if there are a few of you!

Mind you, the journey back to the airport was better and maybe the queue length is a clue and if you are one of the first boarding, you can sit close to the luggage rack and keep your wallet etc well concealed! The choice is yours.

The train to Cascais is a great journey down the coast but MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A TICKET which you get from a machine at the platform area - get help if you can't figure out how to use it. Costs only 1.75 Euro.

Be aware if you have no ticket the FINE is around 170 Euro! You cannot buy a ticket on the train. We managed to pay at other end after pleading ignorance - just!

• Trains

Instant Answers: Cascais

Comments

Cascais Transportation

Reviews and photos of Cascais transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cascais sightseeing.