Azulejos (tiles), Lisbon

Know about this? Rate It!

Tiles in Pasteis de Belem.
    And even more tiles!
    More tiles!
  • TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo

Tiles, tiles and more tiles

by TheWanderingCamel Updated Dec 25, 2008

Tapetes and frieze in Bairro Alto

Favorite thing: Now, if I'd had my own camera and no injured knee, there'd have been dozens of photos of Lisbon's tiles to choose from to show here - I just loved them - but with MrL's finger on the shutter most of the time and his eye and my thoughts on other things, most of them are just in my mind's eye.

The variety is extraordinary, beautiful blue and white panels, the facades of houses completely tiled in a single repeating pattern known as tapetes (carpets), handpainted friezes, metro stations, shop and restaurant interiors. Some really stand out - beautiful 19th century panels in shades of gold and cream on a house in Rue da Trinidad, a glimpse from a tram of a riotous frieze of Art Nouveau flowers and dragonflies, scenes of old Lisbon at the Miradouro de Santa Luzia, room after room in the lovely Casa de Alentejo where we had dinner with a2lopes and globetrott.

Of course I had to bring some home with me - a small panel of four old hand-painted tiles bought from a little flea-cum-antique market in Belem that are going to look great on the wall of a garden shed.

• diageva's Profile Photo

by diageva Written Dec 16, 2003

Azulejos

Favorite thing: I want to thanks to arabic cultur, and to the wonderful art of portugues people, that have join their art to made possible the most beautiful azulejos exists. I could admired portugues azulejos also at Malacca and at Singapore ... thanks for the old portugues colonies ... I love azulejos ....

• Sarita76's Profile Photo

by Sarita76 Written Sep 9, 2003

Lisbon - Azulejos down the street

Favorite thing: Azulejos are the typical portuguese hand painted tiles. The word azulejo derived from the Arabic word Al-Zuleiq, meaning polished stone. These are decorative, hand-painted Arabesque looking wall and floor tiles that were introduced to Portugal by the Moors.

Fondest memory: Azulejos are almost everywhere, but I loved looking at those down the streets, maybe not as famous and precious as some others but still very very beautiful...

• acemj's Profile Photo

Painted tiles . . .

by acemj Updated Mar 18, 2003

Favorite thing: . . . known as azulejos grace the walls of Lisbon. Definitely Portugal's most well-known decorative art, you'll see these beautiful adornments all over town. In fact, this picture was taken in the dining area of my hostel. Not bad, for budget lodging, huh?

Fondest memory: The Portuguese didn't invent azulejos (they learned it from the Moors who learned it from the Persians), but they certainly have taken the artform to another level. It really made me appreciate the city more and forced me to slow down as I passed by the beautifully painted buildings. My buddy Pav, who was traveling with me, liked the azulejos so much that he's decided to buy some tiles and have them put up in his kitchen at home in the States.

• travelmad478's Profile Photo

by travelmad478 Written Sep 14, 2002

Favorite thing: Azulejos are the blue-glazed tiles, often painted as murals, that are plastered all over Lisbon. The paintings can range from slapdash to masterful to just plain weird, like this creature I found on the side of a building. Fittingly, there is a Museum of Azulejos (Rua Madre de Deus, 4) in the eastern part of the city. Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to make it over there.

• tompt's Profile Photo

by tompt Updated Nov 8, 2002

Favorite thing: Look for the 'azulejos'. This beautifull tiles are all over Lisbon.

There is also a azulejo museum. It is a small museum in the old monastery Madre de Deus.
    The adres is : Rua da Madre de Deus.
    Closed on mondays and tuesdaymornings.
    Open on tuesday :14:00-18:00,
    other days from 10:00-18:00.

Instant Answers: Lisbon