Eat, drink, and be merry, Lisbon

Know about this? Rate It!

• Eat, drink, and be merry
  • Eat, drink, and be merry
    Entrance to Vini Portugal
  • tyrone22's Profile Photo

Take time to enjoy the nighlife

by tyrone22 Written Mar 10, 2003

Favorite thing: My favorite thing about Lisbon was the nightlife. Its not my fault I like to cut loose sometimes. You really can't help in a place like this. The Docks were really cool, we walked into about 10 different discos that were great. I only got to spend a couple days here but that was my portugeuse dream.

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Festival

by b1bob Updated Jan 22, 2003

caf��

Fondest memory: I was in shape, but barely. Back then, the lambada was the craze. There was plenty of lights and plenty of music, rather like the Virgilina Summerfest. José, Dulce, Joaquina and I stopped at this cafe for escargot. I expected them to be like the ones I had at the Capuccine Restaurant in Paris almost exactly 4 years earlier. However, these were small and almost flavourless.

That night, I slept well out of sheer exhaustion. I don't think I even heard the chicken. On waking up on Sunday, 8 July, I felt a little better, but not back to the way I was when I went to bed on 6 July 1990. José's Mama packed me a big lunch to take on the train- plenty of bread and chorizo. I got back to Madrid all right, I slept very well that night, and by the time I woke up for class on Monday, 9 July, there was almost no trace of the cold.

• eurotravels's Profile Photo

eurotravels's General Tip

by eurotravels Updated Sep 8, 2002

Fondest memory: The food is very good in Lisbon. There are lots of fresh salads and vegetables, but if you’re watching the calories be careful as everything is swimming in olive oil. The soups are always delicious but the temperature varies from boiling hot to luke warm depending how long ago it was cooked. Perhaps that has changed with the popularity of microwave ovens.

• anglosaxon's Profile Photo

Try the coffee Portuguese...

by anglosaxon Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Try the coffee Portuguese style. Just add sugar (don't try it without) and maybe a small piece of bitter chocolate. I loved it in the morning but, not after 4pm otherwise I couldn't sleep properly.

Fondest memory: When a street football game was suspended for long enough to let us walk through with our son (7 months) in safety and then the owner of the restaurant who carried him around for 20 minutes while we ate our food.

• Snoekie's General Tip

by Snoekie Written Aug 24, 2002

Fondest memory: Everybody kept telling us that the 'Fado' they play for you in restaurants isn't a real Fado, but it's created for tourists. When I visited the beautiful fortress in Lisbon (Sao Vicente I believe) there was an appr. 80 year old lady sitting on the castle walls singing so beautifully. I listened to her for about a half an hour and I don't think I will ever forget her. I think she showed us a real Fado

• mvtouring's Profile Photo

Food glorious food

by mvtouring Written Sep 7, 2004

Favorite thing: I just love Portuguese cuisine. The lovely fresh fish esp the sardines, the cataplana's, etc. I can go on and on for hours about their culinary delights, but will not bore you.

• arlequin_g's Profile Photo

Don’t forget that

by arlequin_g Written Sep 26, 2003

Favorite thing: Lisbon is a very nice place but one of the things I remember the most is the excellent confectionery!!!!! The wine is also very good. Don’t forget to try them.

• eurotravels's Profile Photo

Eat the strawberries. These...

by eurotravels Written Sep 8, 2002

Favorite thing: Eat the strawberries. These were the best that I have tasted anywhere. They are sold sweet and ripe.

• EMILIO-BCN's Profile Photo

EMILIO-BCN's General Tip

by EMILIO-BCN Written Sep 7, 2002

Fondest memory: 'AMALIA' UN MUSICAL SOBRE LA VIDA DE AMALIA RODRIGUES,LA GRAN DAMA DEL FADO PORTUGUES. ESPECTACULO INOLVIDABLE. HASTA EL 30-12-2001. TEATRO POLITEAMA.

• daaaniel's Profile Photo

Bar crawl in Bairro Alto

by daaaniel Written Aug 26, 2002

Fondest memory: A nightly bar crawl in Bairro Alto. A fascinating city quarter with cobblestoned alleys, flaking walls and tiny restaurants and pubs.

• Beer Tasting