Food and drink, Lisbon

pastry and coffee
    by fairy_dust
  • Food and drink
    by Karlithus
    Bread and cheese in a Lisbon restaurant
    by SWFC_Fan
  • Sarita76's Profile Photo

Caracois

by Sarita76 Updated Sep 25, 2003

Lisbon - Caracois

I know they probably taste great here, but I don't like caracois (snails). Ricardo, my lisbonese friend, told me Portugueses love snails and even eat them as a summer snack.
    Look at these hanging snails!!!!

• B_Caro's Profile Photo

Try a glass of Ginjinha

by B_Caro Written Jul 7, 2003

ginjinha

You should try this cherry liqueur (or ginjinha) in one of the many small pub or shops who sells this liqueur.

To get this liqueur, cherries are fermented in brandy with addition of water, sugar and cinnamon.

• Wine Tasting

• acemj's Profile Photo

Ginginha!!

by acemj Updated Apr 3, 2003

Just off of Rossio, we were walking by this little hole in the wall counter and wondered what the heck all the fuss was about. When I walked a little closer to try to figure it out, the guy in this picture motioned for me to come over. He offered me a shot of this mysterious drink known as ginginha. Since he was drinking it, I figured it had to be safe and accepted his generous offer.

When I took the shot, I immediately noticed it's lovely slightly purple, cherry color and its sweet smell. A sip confirmed that it was something similar to a cherry liqueur and I later found out that it's made of the ginja fruit, which is in fact very close to the cherry. The shot is served with a piece of the fruit in the bottom of the glass.

You can find ginginha stands all around Portugal and you can buy a bottle in stores everywhere. I brought a bottle home that I'm saving for the first Portuguese VTer who comes to visit me in the USA!!

• acemj's Profile Photo

Seafood

by acemj Updated Mar 27, 2003

Lisbon, and all of Portugal really, are perfect if you love seafood. Fresh fish is on just about every menu and is particularly good, as you would expect, as you get closer to the ocean.

This photo was taken in the Mercado da Ribeira, which is full of various crafts, foods and flowers.

• Lys-Noir's Profile Photo

Wines are something Portugal...

by Lys-Noir Written Aug 26, 2002

Wines are something Portugal is well known for. As far as the local wines are concerned, we must not forget young vinho verde and aged port wines. Because usually young wines are for us not the best choice with food, we stayed at couple of good typical portuguese alternatives:

1) dry and good quality wine Planalto from Douro
    2) typical Grao Vasco from Dao
    3) young Casal Garcia

BUT, we couldn´t find Solar do Vinho do Porto in order to taste different portos, it must have been closed. Well, anyway, portos are quite not my favourite.

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo

Panaché

by marielexoteria Written May 3, 2010

Panach��

Panaché is beer mixed with 7-up. At first I thought this drink was bit off or weird, but when I tried it, I liked it.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Snails

by pieter_jan_v Written Dec 15, 2009
    Empty snail shells

What better indication do you need than a bag with empty snail shells in front of a local restaurant?

• mindaug's Profile Photo

They do eat pig's ears!

by mindaug Written May 15, 2008

Pig's ears with cola

Until now I was thinking that it's only us - Lithuanians crave for pig's ears. Apparently we are outdone by the Portuguese, just because I would never imagine them in combination with cola!

• pecsihornet's Profile Photo

Bacalhau A Gomes de Sá

by pecsihornet Written Jun 22, 2007

Bacalhau is one of the most important food in the Portugese cuisine. They can prepare it in many ways. Probably Bacalhau A Gomes de Sá or Bacalhau à Braz is the most delicious.

Instant Answers: Lisbon