Places to eat in Lisbon

Most Viewed Restaurants in Lisbon

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Cervejaria Trindade: Good but Pricey Brewery Restaurant

by travelfrosch Updated Jul 21, 2014

This is perhaps the most upscale interpretation of a beer restaurant I have run across. The restaurant, now run by the Sagres Brewery, is a converted monastery, and like many monasteries, brewed its own beer. They claim to be the oldest beer brewery in Lisbon.

Except for some ornate tiles on the wall, the place doesn't look like much on the outside, but the inside is quite a different story. The halls and arches are absolutely beautiful with a series of trademark blue and white tiles adorning the wall. Food and beer were excellent, as were the service and atmosphere, but the prices were extremely high, especially compared to the reasonable meal prices you see elsewhere in the city. If you have the money and inclination, however, it will most certainly be an enjoyable experience.

Favorite Dish: The front area is more for drinks and (presumably) less expensive snacks. However, since it was filled with smokers, we ended up going to the main dining hall. After we got over the menu sticker shock, Sara and I ordered some excellent scallop and shrimp soup and a few tasty appetizers. Even with the light meal, it was by far the most expensive one we ate in Portugal. The restaurant offers several varieties of Sagres on tap; I had the light lager, which was fresh and very tasty.

Main Dining Hall Cervejaria Trindade
    • Beer Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

Sabores do Douro: Portuguese food

by solopes Updated Jul 17, 2014

Another eclectic restaurant somewhat hidden in a calm street of the busy and touristy area of Parque das Nações. The food is good, well served, and presented at average price. Just one more in the many options around.

I read that it is the best place in Lisbon to eat "Francesinhas", a sort of hamburger with a special sauce that became typical in Porto, but, being fast-food... I skipped it, obviously.

Favorite Dish: Secretos de porco preto

Sabores do Douro - Lisbon Sabores do Douro - Lisbon

Namur II: Modern and cheap

by solopes Updated Jul 17, 2014

Located in the trendy area of Parque das Nações, this restaurant tries to attract the people working in the offices around. Being mainly a pastry shop, it has also a modern cuisine, combing traditional Portuguese with international food. The decoration is modern, the service is simple and the price suitable to get regular users.

Favorite Dish: Grouper with spinach
    "Pataniscas"

Namur II - Lisbon Namur II - Lisbon Namur II - Lisbon

Alto Mar: A Double surprise

by solopes Updated Jun 27, 2014

If you risk to read my tips, maybe you found one of them that I called "you're lost", to write about this residential area of Praça do Chile, where (I thought) tourists would never come.
    I was wrong (or maybe, things had changed).
    Not only I saw tourists dragging their bags in Morais Soares street, but I had the surprise to see in this restaurant, where I entered for the first time, that the other customers where (only) a french family.
    The restaurant was a very positive experience. First of all, they had something that I had never tasted ( and that pleases me). Furthermore, the dish was a simple variation of one of my favorites (Pork with clams, "à Alentejana") but with rabbit replacing the pork. Funny, unexpected, simple and tasty.
    Fernanda had a grilled fish, fresh and well done.
    To end well, the price, after a very good coffee, was moderated.
    All said, this restaurant entered my list to a second visit.

Favorite Dish: Coelho à Alentejana

Alto Mar - Lisbon Alto Mar - Lisbon Alto Mar - Lisbon

• Avieira67's Profile Photo

Leitaria e Pastelaria A Camponesa: Breakfast in a historical building

by Avieira67 Updated Jun 18, 2014

This building, dating back from 1907, is among the most interesting places to have a coffee when in Lisbon. Tiles with rustic themes ornaments the walls.

Este edifício do ano de 1907 encontra-se entre os lugares mais interessantes para se tomar café em Lisboa. Azulejos com cenas campestres ornamentam as paredes.

Horário
    08:30 - 19:00

Closes on Sundays!
    Encerra aos domingos!

• King_Golo's Profile Photo

Arcaz Velho: Great tapas, good wines, nice atmosphere

by King_Golo Written Jun 16, 2014

If you like tapas (and who doesn't?!), then you should check out this nice place in Lisbon: Arcaz Velho. Located in an old building which used to be a bakery for a few centuries, this tapas and wine bar now has a very relaxed feeling with lots of young people enjoying some good food there. Choose from a list of some 20 tapas, wash them down with tasty Portuguese wine (ours was from Alentejo, but the wines change regularly), and enjoy life. As usual with tapas, the prices were a bit above average, but the food is worth every cent.

Favorite Dish: If only I'd remember! All of the tapas we had were wonderful, but I think the best was something with mushrooms... Don't ask me for the name, though.

Arcaz Velho

• King_Golo's Profile Photo

Grelhador de Alfama: Grilled meat or grilled fish - your choice

by King_Golo Written May 4, 2014

A grelhador is a grill restaurant. The Grelhador de Alfama is THE grill restaurant in Lisbon. What you get there is probably some of the best barbecued meat or fish in Portugal. Accompanied by a jar of red or white wine you'll be served a huge amount of food - steaks, local sausages, some couscous salad with chorizo and some normal salad. Alternatively, you can go for grilled fish, the restaurant's other dish. We didn't have that, but it looked great as well. The Grelhador de Alfama is very popular (which might also be due to the host family's very welcoming attitude), so you may have to wait for a while before you get a table. It's worth waiting, so don't go for some other place!

Favorite Dish: We had the grilled meat which was very good. I also loved the couscous salad as a side dish.

All the meat gone - and a very happy Golo!

• WaRPer's Profile Photo

Restaurante Casa Alcobaça: Restaurante Casa Alcobaça

by WaRPer Written May 3, 2014

Hidden gem indeed. This restaurant is tugged away in a quiet street of Oliveira do Carmo, very easy if you take the iron elevator (Santa Justa Lift). Here they serve (supposedly) authentic Portuguese dishes. The place is packed with local businessman during lunch time. You can try their a la carte menu as well as the lunch set. We had creamy vegetable soup, fried pork with clams, and fried fish over rice ... and they were all good.

Restaurante Casa Alcoba��a

• leics's Profile Photo

Leitaria Anunciada: The third meal...success at last!

by leics Written Apr 21, 2014

On our last night we finally found somewhere which offered good basic food in ordinary surroundings, at a reasonable price and with pleasant friendly staff...and it was still just up the road from our hotel!

The Leitaria Anunciada started off in 1927 as a dairy, where people could buy milk from its cows and goats which grazed nearby...in the early part of the 20th century Lisbon still had pastures in its centre. What is now a cafe/bar/restaurant still has its original blue-and-white azelujos panels showing those cows and goats.

The decor is simple, the tables and chairs blue metal, the tablecloths brilliant white. We both resisted the couvert cheese and tuna/sardine paste (considerably cheaper than in Sol Dourado), ate the lovely bread and chose the roast meat dish...succulent slices of pork with the roasting juices poured over them served with chips and a salad. It was very well-cooked, the salad was fresh and the meat delicious. The house wines...a large jug of red for my friend, a slightly smaller jug of white for me...were both equally delicious.

The bread, the substantial jugs of wine, the main course and two excellent coffees to finish came to 22.80 euro...a much, much better bargain than the meal we'd had the previous night. And, importantly, it was served by friendly, cheerful staff who clearly enjoyed their job.

This is, imo, a really good place to eat and exactly the sort of place I'd have chosen if I were travelling by myself. Comfortable, friendly, unpretentious and serving decent food at decent prices. Well worth seeking out.

Exterior Azulejos panel Interior Wine jugs and couvert Roast pork......

• leics's Profile Photo

Sol Dourado: The second meal...not impressed....

by leics Written Apr 21, 2014

Again, my companion's choice...and partly my fault, because I'd insisted we rode tram 28 from terminus to terminus so we were eating much later than usual and were too tired to wander very far.

Our hotel was in a Rua Portas de S Antao, a street lined with restaurants each with their 'tout' outside. Exactly the sort of places I would never normally patronise, I'm afraid, even though I'd noticed that there were plenty of Portuguese people eating in them. But we needed to eat....

She chose the Sol Dourado, in a short side-street between Rua Portas de S Antao and Restuaradores...largely on the grounds of its tablecloth decor, I think. We sat outside, which eventually became a little chilly despite the space heaters, and tried hard to enjoy the pan pipe playing busker (who seems to be a regular). I failed miserably in this.

The prices are reasonable enough for that sort of restaurant, I suppose. We ate the bread part of the covert whilst waiting for our main courses but ignored the cheese and sardine/tuna pastes (rather over-priced imo). The German couple next to us were served with an enormous platter of mixed fish and seafood...truly huge...and it was interesting to watch how they attempted to plough their way through it. Goodness knows what it cost.

We both drank house white wine, which was fine and reasonably priced. I ordered a meat dish (can't remember what it was called), my friend the monkfish and prawn risotto. My beef slices were rather tough, served with rice, some grated vegetables, black beans in a separate dish (absolutely delicious and by far the best part of the meal). The chips were barely warm. My friend noted that whilst her risotto was creamy and tasty enough, there wasn't much monkfish to be found in it.

It was ok, and that's about all I can say for it. Service was courteous enough, although rather on the slow side (maybe my chips got cold while they were waiting got my friend's risotto to cook?).

The waiter insisted that we had a free cherry liqueur at the end of the meal...ginginha. I like cherry-flavoured liqueurs but this was pretty rough stuff and tasted like cough medicine. Still, it was free......

If you're in the area and desperate for somewhere to eat then this place offers good-enough food at a fair-enough price for this touristy restaurant area. I've lost the receipt but think we paid around 25 euro for both of us. But there are better places to eat...

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

h3 new hamburgology: A fast food lunch

by gordonilla Written Apr 21, 2014

From my travel journal, I noted it is a high end burger joint. It was a modern twist to burgers and it was quick slick, sadly it is very formulaic but the food is good.

They do not like photographs being taken, but I took them all the same.

Interior (1) Interior (2) Food Interior (3) Interior (4)

• leics's Profile Photo

Bar Tronco: The first meal....interesting....

by leics Written Apr 21, 2014

I leave it up to the farmer's wife to decide where we eat. In the past she's proved herself quite good at finding less-obvious places which offer decent food at decent prices. We're not foodies and certainly won't pay high prices, but we do like to eat well and eat local dishes.

On our first night she chose this small bar/restaurant on Rua des Portas de San Antao, just up the road from our hotel. Its tiny front windows are plastered with (genuine) handwritten reviews in various languages and, inevitably, there's a Tripadvisor sticker.

It seems to be a husband-and-wife operation, with the wife doing all the cooking and the husband doing all the serving. We had decided on the menu del dia....a drink, soup, main course (choice of fish or meat) and dessert for 8.50 euro.

There is no doubt that what we got was very good value. The leek and potato (?) soup was home-made and tasty, and the house wine very drinkable. I chose the fish option and got three chunks of battered, somewhat bone-y, fried fish (one flatfish, one white fish and one I think was dried cod) along with my salad, rice and chips. The food was freshly cooked (we could see and hear the wife slaving over her hot stoves) and so we ...and the other customers...had to wait quite a while between courses. Dessert was a milk pudding, I think from a packet (it reminded me of butterscotch Angel Delight, if you know what that is).

I have no complaints about the food: it was excellent value for the price we paid and well worth seeking out from that point of view. But the service did leave something to be desired...the 'husband' seemed disinterested and rather depressed (he lost 4 customers whilst we were there, simply by ignoring them completely) and certainly did not give the impression that he was enjoying his job. Perhaps he simply wasn't?

It was particularly strange because the handwritten reviews on display all mentioned the cheerful, friendly service and at least a couple of them were just a few months old.

Anyway, if you want a basic freshly-cooked meal at a very reasonable price then this place is absolutely fine. It's clean, and its toilets are clean too....just don't expect service with a smile. :-)

Exterior Interior Soup Main course Dessert

• leics's Profile Photo

Ai Mouraria: Mouraria: beer, bread, cheese and wine.

by leics Written Apr 21, 2014

We had wandered down from our Alfama explorations through the Mouraria district, now the most multi-cultural part of central Lisbon and the original home of fado...it's a UNESCO World Heritage Site for the 'intangible'. Mouraria got its name because it was the part of the city where the Moors were forced to live after the Christians conquered this part of Portugal in the 12th century. Its now a fascinating place to explore, full of old buildings, fado houses, Chinese supermarkets, bead shops and shoe shops and clothes shops......

We needed a beer and a sit down and Ai Mouraria's tables, right next to the 1505 Capela de Nossa Senhora da Saúde, were a welcome sight. It's a tiny, newish wine-and-petiscos bar near the stop for tram 28, a location which hopefully will ensure its success.

We wanted a snack and some beer, not wine, but that was no problem. The cheerful and very pleasant owner (whom I've since discovered is called Bruno) provided us with two bottles of beer (and glasses) plus a basket of bread and a board of sliced cheese. According to the menu we should have had a 'selection' of cheese, but there was only one type. Even so, it was very enjoyable...bread, cheese and beer always go so well together. The total bill was 8.50 euro, very reasonable for the position.

All the wines stocked are Portuguese and prices are very reasonable indeed, with a range of petiscos (the Portuguese version of tapas).

This is an excellent spot for people-watching ( Largo Martim Moniz is always buzzy) and a very pleasant place to while away an hour with a glass of wine or beer and something to nibble. :-)

Pasteleria Alfama Doce: Alfama: a simple place for coffee and pastries

by leics Updated Apr 21, 2014

We came across this small, simple cafe during out Alfama wanderings at just the right time. We'd walked quite some way and needed a coffee-and-pastry fix.

It's a tiny place, with an even tinier sitting area inside. All very plain and simple, with metal chairs and small, square tables. I don't know why but it made me feel as if I was stepping back into the 50s/early 60s.

The coffee was excellent and the pastries were too. For a small place there was quite a wide choice of sweet and savoury versions. You can see what we chose in the photos, though I can't remember the Portuguese names. Mine was a type of pasteis de nata, topped with chopped almonds...both were delicious.

The young man who served us was very pleasant and friendly, with good English, and the bill came to 3.30 euro for everything...excellent value, imo.

Definitely worth a visit when you are wandering the Alfama maze. :-)

• leics's Profile Photo

Kiosk in Miradouro S Pedro de Alcantara: Beer and snacks with a view.

by leics Written Apr 21, 2014

I'd hoped to get my friend up to a nearby cafe recommended by another VT-er, but by the time we reached the miradouro (viewpoint) of San Pedro de Alcantara in Bairro Alto she was wilting (it was a warm day). Once she spotted the deckchairs set out by the kiosk I had no chance of persuading her onwards.

So it was here that we stopped for our mid-afternoon beer and snack. I didn't want anything to eat, but the cheese and hall roll she ordered came with a large side of matchstick crisps ('chips'), and one roll turned out to be two...so i had a nibble of both. Very pleasant.

The kiosk has ordinary tables, chairs and sunshades as well as deckchairs and serves a range of drinks and snacks. It's not particularly cheap, as one would expect from somewhere which is clearly a very popular spot with both locals and visitors, but prices were reasonable enough (compared with the UK) at 2 euro for the beer, 4 euro for the rolls.

I must admit it was most enjoyable to sit in deckchairs in the sunshine, drinking cold Imperial beer, people-watching and listening to parakeets squawking in the trees overhead. And the view over the city is excellent.

Look...deckchairs! S Pedro de Alcantara 'garden' Garden view 1 Garden view 2 Garden view 3
    • Photography

1 Review & Opinion
Pousada da Juventude de Lisboa
Latest: May 30, 2014

Instant Answers: Lisbon

Comments

Lisbon Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Lisbon locals.
Map of Lisbon