Places to eat in Lisbon

Always a big line, but it moves fast !!!
    by jlanza29
    awesome cheese !!!!!
    by jlanza29
    Isaura - Lisbon
    by solopes

Most Viewed Restaurants in Lisbon

• leics's Profile Photo

Leitaria Anunciada: The third meal...success at last!

by leics Written Apr 21, 2014

On our last night we finally found somewhere which offered good basic food in ordinary surroundings, at a reasonable price and with pleasant friendly staff...and it was still just up the road from our hotel!

The Leitaria Anunciada started off in 1927 as a dairy, where people could buy milk from its cows and goats which grazed nearby...in the early part of the 20th century Lisbon still had pastures in its centre. What is now a cafe/bar/restaurant still has its original blue-and-white azelujos panels showing those cows and goats.

The decor is simple, the tables and chairs blue metal, the tablecloths brilliant white. We both resisted the couvert cheese and tuna/sardine paste (considerably cheaper than in Sol Dourado), ate the lovely bread and chose the roast meat dish...succulent slices of pork with the roasting juices poured over them served with chips and a salad. It was very well-cooked, the salad was fresh and the meat delicious. The house wines...a large jug of red for my friend, a slightly smaller jug of white for me...were both equally delicious.

The bread, the substantial jugs of wine, the main course and two excellent coffees to finish came to 22.80 euro...a much, much better bargain than the meal we'd had the previous night. And, importantly, it was served by friendly, cheerful staff who clearly enjoyed their job.

This is, imo, a really good place to eat and exactly the sort of place I'd have chosen if I were travelling by myself. Comfortable, friendly, unpretentious and serving decent food at decent prices. Well worth seeking out.

• leics's Profile Photo

Sol Dourado: The second meal...not impressed....

by leics Written Apr 21, 2014

Again, my companion's choice...and partly my fault, because I'd insisted we rode tram 28 from terminus to terminus so we were eating much later than usual and were too tired to wander very far.

Our hotel was in a Rua Portas de S Antao, a street lined with restaurants each with their 'tout' outside. Exactly the sort of places I would never normally patronise, I'm afraid, even though I'd noticed that there were plenty of Portuguese people eating in them. But we needed to eat....

She chose the Sol Dourado, in a short side-street between Rua Portas de S Antao and Restuaradores...largely on the grounds of its tablecloth decor, I think. We sat outside, which eventually became a little chilly despite the space heaters, and tried hard to enjoy the pan pipe playing busker (who seems to be a regular). I failed miserably in this.

The prices are reasonable enough for that sort of restaurant, I suppose. We ate the bread part of the covert whilst waiting for our main courses but ignored the cheese and sardine/tuna pastes (rather over-priced imo). The German couple next to us were served with an enormous platter of mixed fish and seafood...truly huge...and it was interesting to watch how they attempted to plough their way through it. Goodness knows what it cost.

We both drank house white wine, which was fine and reasonably priced. I ordered a meat dish (can't remember what it was called), my friend the monkfish and prawn risotto. My beef slices were rather tough, served with rice, some grated vegetables, black beans in a separate dish (absolutely delicious and by far the best part of the meal). The chips were barely warm. My friend noted that whilst her risotto was creamy and tasty enough, there wasn't much monkfish to be found in it.

It was ok, and that's about all I can say for it. Service was courteous enough, although rather on the slow side (maybe my chips got cold while they were waiting got my friend's risotto to cook?).

The waiter insisted that we had a free cherry liqueur at the end of the meal...ginginha. I like cherry-flavoured liqueurs but this was pretty rough stuff and tasted like cough medicine. Still, it was free......

If you're in the area and desperate for somewhere to eat then this place offers good-enough food at a fair-enough price for this touristy restaurant area. I've lost the receipt but think we paid around 25 euro for both of us. But there are better places to eat...

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

h3 new hamburgology: A fast food lunch

by gordonilla Written Apr 21, 2014

From my travel journal, I noted it is a high end burger joint. It was a modern twist to burgers and it was quick slick, sadly it is very formulaic but the food is good.

They do not like photographs being taken, but I took them all the same.

• leics's Profile Photo

Bar Tronco: The first meal....interesting....

by leics Written Apr 21, 2014

I leave it up to the farmer's wife to decide where we eat. In the past she's proved herself quite good at finding less-obvious places which offer decent food at decent prices. We're not foodies and certainly won't pay high prices, but we do like to eat well and eat local dishes.

On our first night she chose this small bar/restaurant on Rua des Portas de San Antao, just up the road from our hotel. Its tiny front windows are plastered with (genuine) handwritten reviews in various languages and, inevitably, there's a Tripadvisor sticker.

It seems to be a husband-and-wife operation, with the wife doing all the cooking and the husband doing all the serving. We had decided on the menu del dia....a drink, soup, main course (choice of fish or meat) and dessert for 8.50 euro.

There is no doubt that what we got was very good value. The leek and potato (?) soup was home-made and tasty, and the house wine very drinkable. I chose the fish option and got three chunks of battered, somewhat bone-y, fried fish (one flatfish, one white fish and one I think was dried cod) along with my salad, rice and chips. The food was freshly cooked (we could see and hear the wife slaving over her hot stoves) and so we ...and the other customers...had to wait quite a while between courses. Dessert was a milk pudding, I think from a packet (it reminded me of butterscotch Angel Delight, if you know what that is).

I have no complaints about the food: it was excellent value for the price we paid and well worth seeking out from that point of view. But the service did leave something to be desired...the 'husband' seemed disinterested and rather depressed (he lost 4 customers whilst we were there, simply by ignoring them completely) and certainly did not give the impression that he was enjoying his job. Perhaps he simply wasn't?

It was particularly strange because the handwritten reviews on display all mentioned the cheerful, friendly service and at least a couple of them were just a few months old.

Anyway, if you want a basic freshly-cooked meal at a very reasonable price then this place is absolutely fine. It's clean, and its toilets are clean too....just don't expect service with a smile. :-)

• leics's Profile Photo

Ai Mouraria: Mouraria: beer, bread, cheese and wine.

by leics Written Apr 21, 2014

We had wandered down from our Alfama explorations through the Mouraria district, now the most multi-cultural part of central Lisbon and the original home of fado...it's a UNESCO World Heritage Site for the 'intangible'. Mouraria got its name because it was the part of the city where the Moors were forced to live after the Christians conquered this part of Portugal in the 12th century. Its now a fascinating place to explore, full of old buildings, fado houses, Chinese supermarkets, bead shops and shoe shops and clothes shops......

We needed a beer and a sit down and Ai Mouraria's tables, right next to the 1505 Capela de Nossa Senhora da Saúde, were a welcome sight. It's a tiny, newish wine-and-petiscos bar near the stop for tram 28, a location which hopefully will ensure its success.

We wanted a snack and some beer, not wine, but that was no problem. The cheerful and very pleasant owner (whom I've since discovered is called Bruno) provided us with two bottles of beer (and glasses) plus a basket of bread and a board of sliced cheese. According to the menu we should have had a 'selection' of cheese, but there was only one type. Even so, it was very enjoyable...bread, cheese and beer always go so well together. The total bill was 8.50 euro, very reasonable for the position.

All the wines stocked are Portuguese and prices are very reasonable indeed, with a range of petiscos (the Portuguese version of tapas).

This is an excellent spot for people-watching ( Largo Martim Moniz is always buzzy) and a very pleasant place to while away an hour with a glass of wine or beer and something to nibble. :-)

Pasteleria Alfama Doce: Alfama: a simple place for coffee and pastries

by leics Updated Apr 21, 2014

We came across this small, simple cafe during out Alfama wanderings at just the right time. We'd walked quite some way and needed a coffee-and-pastry fix.

It's a tiny place, with an even tinier sitting area inside. All very plain and simple, with metal chairs and small, square tables. I don't know why but it made me feel as if I was stepping back into the 50s/early 60s.

The coffee was excellent and the pastries were too. For a small place there was quite a wide choice of sweet and savoury versions. You can see what we chose in the photos, though I can't remember the Portuguese names. Mine was a type of pasteis de nata, topped with chopped almonds...both were delicious.

The young man who served us was very pleasant and friendly, with good English, and the bill came to 3.30 euro for everything...excellent value, imo.

Definitely worth a visit when you are wandering the Alfama maze. :-)

• leics's Profile Photo

Kiosk in Miradouro S Pedro de Alcantara: Beer and snacks with a view.

by leics Written Apr 21, 2014

I'd hoped to get my friend up to a nearby cafe recommended by another VT-er, but by the time we reached the miradouro (viewpoint) of San Pedro de Alcantara in Bairro Alto she was wilting (it was a warm day). Once she spotted the deckchairs set out by the kiosk I had no chance of persuading her onwards.

So it was here that we stopped for our mid-afternoon beer and snack. I didn't want anything to eat, but the cheese and hall roll she ordered came with a large side of matchstick crisps ('chips'), and one roll turned out to be two...so i had a nibble of both. Very pleasant.

The kiosk has ordinary tables, chairs and sunshades as well as deckchairs and serves a range of drinks and snacks. It's not particularly cheap, as one would expect from somewhere which is clearly a very popular spot with both locals and visitors, but prices were reasonable enough (compared with the UK) at 2 euro for the beer, 4 euro for the rolls.

I must admit it was most enjoyable to sit in deckchairs in the sunshine, drinking cold Imperial beer, people-watching and listening to parakeets squawking in the trees overhead. And the view over the city is excellent.

• Photography

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

Casa do Bacalhau: Excellent, excellent

by jlanza29 Written Mar 10, 2014

The classic Portuguese dish Bacalhau …. Cod fish is known world wide. We were given this recommendation by some friends and boy it didn't disappoint ….

25 different ways you can order COD, English menu's are available and very friendly staff will guide you. This was without a doubt the best meal we had in Portugal.

The location is a bit odd, in a industrial section by the docks that have been transformed into trendy restaurants and bars. We took a cab from Ave. Liberdade and it only cost us 8 euro's each way.

Once inside the menu is easy to understand and the wine list very good with great prices. We ended up ordering grill COD with Lemon and Cod with mash potatoes and gravy … both priced at 17 Euro's and the portions were HUGE !!!!!!

Highly recommend this place …. dinner for 2 with wine and desert … 71 Euro …. well worth it

Wok to walk: Wok to sit

by solopes Updated Feb 28, 2014

Yes, I know that is is one more of a wide chain of restaurants, but with my routine of refusing fast-food areas, this was my first experience. It happened in Dolce Vita mall, near Lisbon, and... it was fun.

They have displayed several ingredients, you choose what you want, they fry them together in the wok, in front of you, and... it's done, either to take away or to eat in location. It was tasty, it was fast, it was food, and... it was cheap.

The only inconvenience - they didn't sell wine, and I had to buy it next door, one of the resources in the food ranks of the malls.

Sfizio: Italian and more

by solopes Updated Feb 28, 2014

It was a good surprise, this restaurant located in "Parque das Nações". Standidng in a middle of a offices area, they found the balance between quality for those who can pay it and price for those who need to lunch out each day.

A positive impression, to check again.

Chimarrão: Going Down

by solopes Updated Jan 7, 2014

My first time in Chimarrão was a good experience: I like barbecue, and Brazilian style and service is very special. A little bit pricey, as expected, but good.

This second experience was a disappointment. The restaurant downgraded the service in all aspects: Noisy room (with the help of a musician playing uncharacteristic and disposable music), confuse service, and hard meat.

We were twelve, I ordered "Rodizio" for all and, at the end, when Fernanda complained about the quality of the service, they told us that we were served "espeto longo" that only costs 13€ and not the 20€ of Rodizio. 7€ of consolation for a client that ordered... Rodízio.

Chimarrão is entering water!

Favorite Dish: Picanha, that passed along my table four times (at least) and only was served when I expressly called the waiter and demanded it (and served only for two or three of us).

• Architecture

3º Anel: Top secret

by solopes Updated Dec 16, 2013

There´s a historic rivalry between the two great football teams of Lisbon - Benfica and Sporting. I defend Sporting and Tito does the same. What the hell made him take us to Benfica stadium for lunch? Claudia... of course!

Not bad... but... Sporting, where I never ate anything must be much better. Of course! I still have some red spots in my eyes, but I'm getting better.

• solopes's Profile Photo

Passarinhos: Popular, out of the beaten path

by solopes Updated Dec 16, 2013

"Lost" in one of the residential quarters of Lisbon - Campo de Ourique - I needed a quick meal and entered this unknown restaurant. Well, I had a good quick meal, at a very popular price.

The advantages of stepping out the touristy paths...

Favorite Dish: Cozido à Portuguesa

República da Cerveja: Beer and more

by solopes Updated Dec 16, 2013

Specialized in beer, selling a large variety, it is prepared to large groups, with a broad menu including Portuguese dishes but also Italian or German. I don't drink beer, that's why I always choose... its neighbours.

• Beer Tasting

Tamoyo: Tamoyo

by solopes Updated Dec 16, 2013

"Out of the beaten path" this restaurant was a good surprise. If it happens that you're travelling in "2ª circular" by lunchtime, this may be a good small detour.

Quick service, good home made food, popular prices.

It was also the place of our first meal all together: us, the boys and their girlfriends. I hope that we may repeat the happy lunch for a long time.

PS - Small noisy kids don't bother!

Favorite Dish: "Açorda de Marisco"
    4 pepper stake

1 Review & Opinion
Pousada da Juventude de Lisboa
Latest: Sep 4, 2013

Instant Answers: Lisbon

Comments

Lisbon Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Lisbon locals.
Map of Lisbon