Airport and Air Travel, Lisbon

Know about this? Rate It!

by HORSCHECK
    by HORSCHECK
    Arriving in Lisbon
    by toonsarah
  • jlanza29's Profile Photo

Airport is close to the city

by jlanza29 Written Feb 28, 2014

easy, fast, and cheap

I must say …. to and from the airport in Lisbon is one of the simplest and cheapest in all of Europe. On arrival you can purchase a taxi voucher from the tourist information center literally in from of the doors as you exist the customs area. A taxi to the old town section of town cost 15 euros. Or you can take the Aerobus which has several stops on 2 different routes. The Aerobus cost 3.50 Euro's per person and depart every 15 minutes right outside the doors. The journey to the center of Lisbon take about 20 minutes.

On the way back to the airport we waited for almost 30 minutes for a bus on Ave. de Liberade at 7:00 am and a bus never came so we jumped into a taxi and was charged only 8 euros (try that in Paris or London) either way the airport is 4 miles northeast of the city center and it makes it for a simple experience ….

You can also take the metro for 1.5 euro's ….. the metro goes right into terminal 1, the departure terminal for all the major airlines.

• porteda's Profile Photo

Airport shuttle

by porteda Written Aug 26, 2013

If you're traveling to Lisbon airport, you can book a ride in a shuttle from the airport for €6 (one way). This service is also available from the Porto airport. You can book in advance and then pay to the driver upon arrival.

• Disabilities
    • Seniors
    • Business Travel

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Flying to Lisbon

by toonsarah Written Apr 21, 2013

Arriving in Lisbon

On this latest occasion we flew to Lisbon with TAP, the Portuguese airline, from London Heathrow. The flight lasted about two and a half hours. On the way out we were served a light breakfast (yoghurt drink and small filled roll) with juice, tea and/or coffee. On our return late afternoon flight we were served a filled roll and could have an alcoholic drink (I had some nice red wine) at no extra charge – unusual these days, but a pleasant end to our trip.

Last time I had visited Lisbon, for the 2009 VT meeting in Cascais, I had used the Aerobus to get to the city centre as it was the only real option. Nowadays it is also possible to use the Metro as an extension has been built to serve the airport. We didn’t use this on our arrival as we saw a bus waiting and thought it would be nice to be able to see our surroundings as we drove into town, but on our return trip we used the Metro as the Rossio stop in the Praça da Figueira was very convenient for our hotel. We had to change to the red line at Alameda, but this was no bother and the new line was very light, modern and fast – a good alternative to the bus.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

The airport.

by Maurizioago Updated Dec 29, 2012

The airport is situated in the north of the city. It is 4.4 miles from the city center. It has two terminals. Terminal 1 is used by national and internationals carriers. Terminal 2 has only the low cost airlines departures. This terminal is smaller than terminal 1.

Terminal 1 has lots of shops, cafes and eateries. There is also a pharmacy and various other facilities.

• Singles

• Ines_'s Profile Photo

Subway to and from the airport

by Ines_ Updated Jul 18, 2012

A new station of subway opened at Lisbon’ Airport - it's called Aeroporto. The station is part of the red line which is connected to Saldanha (yellow line) and São Sebastião (blue line). From both of these lines you can access the city center.

The subway in Lisbon opens at 06h30 and closes at 01h00

• porteda's Profile Photo

By subway to the city centre

by porteda Written Jul 16, 2012

Starting tomorrow (July 17, 2012), it'll be easier to get to the city centre by public transportation. Up till now, people had to use the bus or take a taxi when leaving the airport, but finally the subway network has arrived to the airport. The red line will connect the airport with the rest of the city. Check the Lisbon metro website for more info.
    A single trip (for the whole metro network) will cost you €1.25 - if you don't have the 'viva viagem' card yet, you'll need to pay an extra €0.50. You can also buy a day ticket, for €5, which can also be used on buses.

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

The Aerobus

by IreneMcKay Updated Jan 1, 2012

There are three different Aerobus routes from the airport. Line one goes to the city centre. We used line three to get to our hotel in the financial district. The ticket costs 3 Euros 50 cents and is valid on carris buses on the day of purchase.

• rkearns's Profile Photo

to and from lisbon airport

by rkearns Written Aug 2, 2010

here's a bus transport link:

you may have to look for a more common street to see what's closest to rua da escola politecnica.

here's some more transportation info. you can scroll down and look at "to and from the airport".

• darkjedi's Profile Photo

by darkjedi Updated Feb 24, 2010

We arrived at Lisbon via the Easyjet flight from Gatwick which took 2 hours. We used the aerobus between the airport and the city center. A ticket may be purchased directly from the driver and currently stands at €3.50. The buses run every 20 or 30 minutes and stop at important points in the city such as Entrecampos, Campo Pequeno, Avenida Republica, Saldanha, Picoas, Fontes Pereira Melo, Marquês de Pombal, Avenida da Libertade, Restauradores, Rossio, Praça do Comercio and Cais do Sodré. On board, there are screens showing each stop as the bus approaches the area, and a list of nearby hotels, which is extremely convenient if you're not entirely sure which stop you need to get off at for you hotel.

• Dyesebel's Profile Photo

Aerobus

by Dyesebel Updated Aug 1, 2009

Probably the best way to get to Lisbon city.It stops in many major tourist area.It is a little bit expensive but it has a luggage storage,so its convenient rather than getting a normal bus full of people which some of them has no tolerance for tourists with big & heavy luggage;)

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

To Lisbon by plane

by HORSCHECK Updated Jul 10, 2009

Aeroporto de Lisboa

I flew to Lisbon from Cologne with the German buget airline Germanwings.

Unfortunately, there are not too many airlines serving this route, therefore prices are still relatively expensive.

Lisbon's international airport "Portela" is situated about 10 km north of the city centre. It is Portugal's busiest and most important airport.

• Trains

• georeiser's Profile Photo

Lisbon airport (LIS)

by georeiser Updated Jul 7, 2009

Lisbon airport (LIS)

Lisbon Airport located almost in the center of the city, so you can be in your hotel just within minutes of your arrival. The airport is quite old. It is too little space for aircrafts at the gates, and many passengers have to embark the flights at the tarmac area.

• Beer Tasting

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Liverpool by Easyjet to Lisbon

by suvanki Updated Jun 22, 2009

Lisbon Airport

I booked my flight early as Easyjet had a '25% off all flights' offer so I paid around £70 for my return flight from Liverpool to Lisbon.

I was pleased to find that June (Poons) would be travelling on the same flight. We were both heading to Lisbon for the 5th VT Euromeet.

We departed at 13.05 and our expected arrival time was 15.50, we were delayed taking off, but weren't too late landing in Lisbon, to Sunshine!.
    My return flight departed 16.20 arriving in Liverpool at 19.00hrs.

After clearing passport control and retrieving our bags, we headed to Tourist Information, to get a map, and to check on the bus details. Outside the arrivals hall are buses and taxis to take you to Lisbon.

The airport has lots of shops, cafes, a post office, left luggage, exchange bureaus etc. It's quite a pleasant place to spend time, before catching your flight home.
    There are also showers if you need to freshen up.
    The duty free stocks quite a good selection of food stuffs such as tinned sardines, packaged meats, cheeses etc as well as the usual wines, spirits, perfumes, cigarettes etc.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

The airport and aerobus

by toonsarah Written Jun 12, 2009

Lisbon Airport

Lisbon’s airport is modern and quite small, with just two terminals. I found everything ran smoothly on both my arrival and departure, and for the latter I found the duty free shop to have a better than average selection of regional foods and drinks.

I took the aerobus from the airport to the city centre. This runs every 20 minutes, and leaves from a stop right outside exit 3. The charge is a reasonable €3.50, which you pay the driver on boarding.

The drive to the city takes between 30 and 45 minutes, depending on traffic. The route is pleasant and I found plenty to interest me as we went, including an avenue lined with nice houses leading from the airport. A screen above the driver has a Sat Nav display which shows your current location, the next stop and its nearby hotels, and clear announcements are made in English as well as Portuguese. The bus stops at several major points in the city, including the Praça dos Restauradores and Rossio, and terminates at the Cais do Sodre station.

• codrutz's Profile Photo

Lisbon Airport (LIS-Portela)

by codrutz Updated Jun 9, 2009

Lisbon airport is very modern, clean and one of the nicest I've seen. A lot of light, space and utilities like restaurants and cafes. It's main runway, measuring 3,805 meters, orientation 03/21 (NW) can land a 747, the airport has also the capacity of dealing such large number of passengers. The airport has a second shorter runway oriented 17/35 (NE).

Airplanes come for landing from south, passing over the 25 de Abril Bridge then for the last 5 minutes flying very low right over some neighborhood in order to land the big NW oriented runway.

This is the main hub for the Portugal national airline - TAP Portugal. It is located very close to city center, depending on traffic you can reach in 20-30 minutes. The position within the city, being one of the few airports in Europe not located well near the city, was theme for debates about safety and the final decision about building a new airport was taken in 2008, designating Alcochete - 50 km north of Lisbon, as the planned site for the construction of the new Lisbon International Airport, which will be finished in 2017.

Instant Answers: Lisbon

• Mar 6, 2013 at 6:02 AM

Airport security:
    After spending years of frequent airtravel with handluggage, and never having had any problems with that bag of liquids, Lisbon airport finally did it!!! So, watch out!
    I stuck my seethrough bag with my cosmetics - the one I always use (that is, in Spain, Italy, France) onto the tray & got told by the guard it was too big. No, not what was in it, but the bag itself. No way he would let me get through with this bag folded over (which I do to double-avoid leakage ...). So: they have vending machines all over the security area where you have to buy a standard size bag inserting a one-Euro-coin (which, thanks to good old Murphy, I did not have), so it took a while until I found some traveller willing to change my 5-€-bill - the airport does not provide this service.
    No idea if this is legal, but I am sure they make some money that way to help with their deficit!

• leics's Profile Photo
      Mar 6, 2013 at 11:02 AM

The airport website gives the standard European bag size limit of one litre:

ana.pt/en-US/Aeroportos/lisb...

I would guess that your bag was over the EU size limit. Other airports may well have turned a blind eye (depends on the individual airport and the staff on duty) but I've seen passengers at e.g. Stansted having to buy (£1) new bags when theirs were too large. It's certainly legal; the onus is always on the passenger to ensure that the bag size, and its contents, fit the EU and/or airport rules.