Airport and Air Travel, Lisbon

Know about this? Rate It!

The AeroBus Stop at Cais do Sodre
    by travelfrosch
    Aeroporto de Lisboa
    by HORSCHECK
    Aeroporto de Lisboa
    by HORSCHECK
  • Kozzmozz's Profile Photo

Lisbon has a small modern...

by Kozzmozz Updated Aug 25, 2002

Lisbon has a small modern airport, with all the facilities. Almost all European destinations, and some to the Caribean.
    Taxis are extremely cheap by most standards. A journey from the airport to the centre of Lisbon takes 15-20 mins when the traffic is not busy and only costs 1000-1500 Esc ($4-7)The train is not very popular in Lisbon but one service worth a mention is the line which runs from the centre of Lisbon to Estoril where you can spend time on its beaches! There is also a service travelling up to Porto in the north of Portugal but I would recommend flying instead since it is only 45 mins in the air.
    The metro is a very quick, fast, clean service which only costs 100 esc per journey (less than 50 $c!) Do remember to stamp your ticket before you board like on the French and Dutch metro.

• Tocco's Profile Photo

When you are at the airport...

by Tocco Written Aug 25, 2002

When you are at the airport get a taxi voucher at the tourist desk.
    What the voucher enables you to do is pay for the taxi in advance on you credit card so when the taxi takes you to your hotel the driver can not rip you off.
    It is also good because you do not have to exchange your money at the airport. I like to exchange my cash at a bank (better exchange rate).
    GET A LISBOA CARD !!!
    you can pick them up at the airport or at the tourist info stands in town.
    24h. 48h. 72h. cards. These card cover all your mass transit (metro-trams-buses-trains) not taxis
    This card can get you into most tourist spots for FREE or at a discounted price.
    I got a 72h. card for about $20.00+ USD.
    The card pays for itself, it is worth every penny.

• anglosaxon's Profile Photo

We flew to Porto originally...

by anglosaxon Updated Aug 25, 2002

We flew to Porto originally and drove down to Lisbon. I used Lisbon Airport quite a lot and the taxi fare one way to the centrum should be no more than 1500esc (5 pounds). I personally never had trouble with the fares, only with the speed of the ride. There is one trick though as at the airport the taxi driver will jump out of the car and open the boot for your luggage even if it only a small bag. This is because he can charge 300esc for anything carried in the boot.
    I stayed almost exclusively on the metro. You buy 10 tickets for the price of 8 (850esc). The tickets are single use meaning you can go 1 stop or change lines and go twenty stops, it's all on 1 ticket. Just remember to stamp it before you go down the stairs to the platform as inspectors are around especially on the EXPO line. There is an extensive bus service but, I never used it. Buying a ticket at the train station was a bit difficult. If you speak French it's an advantage. I was warned off trying to speak Spanish as some of the locals would be offended.
    Many of the attractions are accessible by tram. A metro ticket will not be accepted on a tram as it is operated by another company CARRIS however, if you think you will be travelling a lot over two or three days, it's worth buying a LISBOA CARD (24hours or 72hours). You can use it on all public transport except trains and provides free or discounted access to many attractions. There are strategically located trolley cars on some hills. Two of them are near Restauradores, one goes up to the Castle and the other goes up to the Belvedere (viewing area) on the other side. The Lisboa Card is now being taken in over 200 shops to get a discount.

• lvdpiet's Profile Photo

By plane ofcourse. Getting the...

by lvdpiet Written Aug 25, 2002

By plane ofcourse. Getting the bus from the airport is the best way to travel into the city.
    By bus, metro or taxi. Taxies are very reasonable in price. Trains you may like to use, going to Sintra or Estoril.

• woodstockties's Profile Photo

No complains about the taxi

by woodstockties Written Jan 9, 2008

Before i went to Lisbon i asked a friend of mine who lives there, whether i should go to my hotel (near Rotunda) by earobus or by taxi. He told me to take a taxi, but first to tell the cabdriver that i knew Lisbon and if he dared to ask more than 8 euros, that i would go to the police. But i didn't had any problems with them (neither there nor back). To Lisbon the cabdriver asked 7 euros and back to the airport only 6.50 euro. In both cases i gave them 10, which made them carry my lugage to the door.

A beige taxi like there are hundreds in Lisbon

• GUYON's Profile Photo

TAP Air Portugal

by GUYON Written May 12, 2004

We choose a direct flight on Air Portugal through Anyway and we paid 184 Euros per capita for a round trip from Paris (Orly).
    The travel lasted 2H15/2H30.
    We had a lunch light but good.
    At the arrival, the plane flies over the city at a low altitude and if the weather is fine, it is possible to shoot amazing photographes.
    The airport is in the outskirts of the city and it is possible to reach quickly the center.
    We chose the bus (areobus line 91) which is free at the arrival if you can show the AIR PORTUGAL boarding pass.

The planes fly over the city at a low altitude

• Mundus's Profile Photo

Lisboa's Airport

by Mundus Written Oct 3, 2003

Also know as Portela Airport.

This is the country's most important airport, and plays an important role in the city's economic development and that of the entire Lisbon Region.

In 1998, Lisbon Airport posted the world highest passenger growth rate. The increase in airport capacity, the efficiency and quality of services provided are evident to all its users.

There is a variety of shopping available.

Lisboa's Airport

• dlytle's Profile Photo

Lisbon's Airport

by dlytle Written Dec 15, 2003

Lisbon has a small airport with only one terminal that services all domestic and international routes. Located 7 km from the city center, the airport is well serviced by public transportation.

My synopsis of this airport is that it is a fairly lively place, very airy feeling with very high ceilings and expansive check-in areas. Once you have used this airport I think it would be fairly easy to navigate…but…on this initial use it took us too long to figure out where the correct flight check-in windows were actually located. Then after we’d stood in line for 30 minutes we discovered that they wouldn’t check us in as our flight was not yet into their computers. So we had to go to the back of the line and start all over again. It was pretty frustrating. The airport did have some nice shops and easy to use ATM machines. I found the restaurants to be pretty crowed and it was difficult to find a place to sit.

General Information.

Inexpensive luggage carts are available for rental at the entrance doors.

Restaurants open 24 hours are available in the airport, with Harrods providing a buffet and coffee shop. Passarola offers international cuisine while Iberusa has a wide range of local specialty dishes.

Duty-free shops and a selection of regular shops selling local delicacies, fashions, electronics and many other products are also available. Casa dos Sabores offers local Portuguese delicatessen produce.

A bank, 24-hour bureau de change and several ATMs are located in the terminal.

Ramps, lifts and specially designed telephones and toilets are available for disabled passengers. Airline staff can provide wheelchairs and assist wheelchair passengers through customs and immigration. Spaces for disabled drivers are available in the airport car parks.

The information desks located in the arrivals and departures halls and boarding lounge are open from 08:00 to 00:00. A tourist information desk can also be found in the arrivals hall (open from 06:00-02:00). Information hotlines are located throughout the terminal.

Lisbon Airport Photo Collage
    • Cruise

• Plane. Lisbon International...

by RaTo Written Aug 26, 2002

Plane. Lisbon International Airport and a Eur. 5-6 ride to the center.

If you come by car, there is a highway linking Lisbon to the spanish border in Elvas/Badajoz (+- 200 Kms) or from the North, you have the highway from Valença to Oporto, and then to Lisbon (+- 300 Kms)
    In the city center you can use the subway. Taxis aren't very expensive. There is also a good bus network, but try to avoid rush hour, as the traffic is intense.

• darkjedi's Profile Photo

Lisbon Airport

by darkjedi Updated Feb 24, 2010

We arrived at Lisbon via the Easyjet flight from Gatwick which took 2 hours. We used the aerobus between the airport and the city center. A ticket may be purchased directly from the driver and currently stands at €3.50. The buses run every 20 or 30 minutes and stop at important points in the city such as Entrecampos, Campo Pequeno, Avenida Republica, Saldanha, Picoas, Fontes Pereira Melo, Marquês de Pombal, Avenida da Libertade, Restauradores, Rossio, Praça do Comercio and Cais do Sodré. On board, there are screens showing each stop as the bus approaches the area, and a list of nearby hotels, which is extremely convenient if you're not entirely sure which stop you need to get off at for you hotel.

• rkearns's Profile Photo

to and from lisbon airport

by rkearns Written Aug 2, 2010

here's a bus transport link:

you may have to look for a more common street to see what's closest to rua da escola politecnica.

here's some more transportation info. you can scroll down and look at "to and from the airport".

• porteda's Profile Photo

Airport shuttle

by porteda Written Aug 26, 2013

If you're traveling to Lisbon airport, you can book a ride in a shuttle from the airport for €6 (one way). This service is also available from the Porto airport. You can book in advance and then pay to the driver upon arrival.

• Disabilities
    • Business Travel

Departing from T2?

by leics Written Apr 20, 2014

When I first visited Lisbon in 2009 I flew with Easyjet, arriving at and leaving from Lisbon's pleasant and well-resourced T1.

This time I also flew with Easyjet and arrived at T1 as before. It was very easy indeed...de-plane and take a bus to the terminal, go through the automatic passport gates, pick up the bags, walk outside Arrivals and catch the Aerobus to the city (or I could have taken the Metro, which didn't reach the airport in 2009).

But it was a different story on the way back. I hadn't realised that Lisbon has a T2, nor that the Aerobus now only serves T1. It stops right next to the stop for the free shuttle bus from T1 to T2, but that takes time. The shuttle buses run every 10 minutes, taking about 5 minutes to get to T2, so you'll definitely have to factor that into your planning. I saw one couple who clearly did not, consequently arriving at bag drop too late and having to pay 55 euro to check their bags at the gate.

I'm afraid T2 is nowhere near as pleasant as T1. The pre-security area has just one cafe and one shop and the post-security area has little more. Post-security was quite crowded when I was there, with several flights departing around the same time. It isn't a large area.

If you are flying outside Schengen (as I was, back to the UK) you must go through passport control (automatic gates again, which speeds things up) to get to the gate. There are no seats in the gate area and it became crowded and stuffy with 100+ people crammed into a small space, waiting for the door to open so we could board.

T2 is a departures-only terminal serving budget airlines Easyjet, Ryanair, Transavia and Norwegian. Some airports give me the feeling that budget airline travellers are second-class citizens, even though I know the services provided (or not) are probably more to do with the fees airlines pay airports for the use of their facilities. Unfortunately, I got that feeling in Lisbon.

Shuttle bus outside T1

Aerobus from the airport

by leics Written Apr 20, 2014

I can't believe I didn't take a photo of the Aerobus, which I've used on both my visits to Lisbon...but it seems I didn't.

There are two Aerobus routes. Line 1 runs from the airport to Cais do Sodre station (for trains to e.g. Estoril and Cascais), stopping at several places en route which have easy access to many of Lisbon's hotels. Line 2 serves the financial centre of the city.

Aerobuses are yellow, like ordinary Carris buses, and I'm sure they were run by Carris when I visited in 2009. Timetables and info are now found on the 'Yellowbustours' site, which also runs hop-on buses and an antique tram tour, though Carris is still tightly linked with the service.

A ticket costs 3.50 euro from the driver or 3.15 euro if you buy it online from the site below. The ticket lasts 24 hours so I suppose you could, if you wished, use it for other segments of the route once you'd arrived. It's valid on both Aerobus routes but not on any other Carris buses.

Aerobuses run every 20 minutes or so throughout the day, from 7am to 11pm, although we had to wait almost 40 minutes on our midday return to the airport. The delay was caused by traffic congestion around Cais do Sodre so I do advise you to allow for that possibility if you are going to the airport during the daytime. It would be sensible to catch an earlier bus than you think you need, especially if you are departing from T2 and must take the shuttle bus onwards from T1.

The Aerobus stop is directly outside Arrivals at Lisbon airport and very easy to find. You just pay the driver as you get on. Last time there was a route map screen and automatic announcements inside, so you knew where you are, but neither of the Aerobuses I used had this working. It's a good idea to tell the driver where you want to get off so, hopefully, he/she will tell you when you are there.

Early morning Rossio.

• TAP

by luisalaranjo Written Jan 2, 2009

Hello

I flew with TAP several times, including intercontinental flights, and I've always felt safe.
    It's true that they are usually a bit late...but I think it happens more frequently with long distance flights.

About the staff I personaly think they are quite friendly and helpful - on my last intercontinental flight (15 hours!) they provided me with vegetarian meals, even though by some reason they had no records of my special request previously!So I only have good things to say abt TAP :)

Wish you a safe flight and enjoy Lisbon, one of my fav cities ever!

Instant Answers: Lisbon

• Mar 6, 2013 at 6:02 AM

Airport security:
    After spending years of frequent airtravel with handluggage, and never having had any problems with that bag of liquids, Lisbon airport finally did it!!! So, watch out!
    I stuck my seethrough bag with my cosmetics - the one I always use (that is, in Spain, Italy, France) onto the tray & got told by the guard it was too big. No, not what was in it, but the bag itself. No way he would let me get through with this bag folded over (which I do to double-avoid leakage ...). So: they have vending machines all over the security area where you have to buy a standard size bag inserting a one-Euro-coin (which, thanks to good old Murphy, I did not have), so it took a while until I found some traveller willing to change my 5-€-bill - the airport does not provide this service.
    No idea if this is legal, but I am sure they make some money that way to help with their deficit!

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:02 AM

The airport website gives the standard European bag size limit of one litre:

ana.pt/en-US/Aeroportos/lisb...

I would guess that your bag was over the EU size limit. Other airports may well have turned a blind eye (depends on the individual airport and the staff on duty) but I've seen passengers at e.g. Stansted having to buy (£1) new bags when theirs were too large. It's certainly legal; the onus is always on the passenger to ensure that the bag size, and its contents, fit the EU and/or airport rules.