Taxis, Lisbon

Know about this? Rate It!

Roads of Lisbon as seen from the air
    by jumpingnorman
    taxi
    by a2lopes
  • Taxis
    by keeweechic
  • Dont get ripped off

by Suep1934 Written May 16, 2015

we took an airport taxi to just past Pombal and we were were charged 21 euros. We hadn't researched the rip offs so we paid without question. Apparently this was too much by far!

Tonight however our group of four took a standard black and green taxi with the number 715 on the side, outside a restaurant at Restoradores and, despite seeming to know our hotel, he kept asking for directions. More worryingly was the fact that his standard meter wasn't running. So I asked him 3 times and he grunted and pointed to his sat nav. When we arrived at the hotel he said it was 8.30 euros....to the Porto Bay Liberdade! I paid him to the cent exactly (much to his chagrin) as I suspected something was wrong. The hotel concierge then came out to see if all was alright, and when I explained, said in future we should call him it as what this man did wasn't correct and he could,call the police..
    Be warned...check they really do know where you're going, check the meters running as you start...ask your hotel concierge for help when you arrive.

• Careful use of Lisbon taxis ...take great care

by Suep1934 Written May 16, 2015

• Joumaky's Profile Photo

LisbonTaxi

by Joumaky Updated Oct 9, 2014

So you arrive to Lisbon and now you need to find a way to get to your hotel. 3 ways to do it:
    1 - Metro (not ideal if you have luggage)
    2- Aerobus from airport with different drop off locations (website: http://www.golisbon.com/transport/airport-shuttle.html)
    3- Taxi

Or something else..
    I opted for a different option. The Metro was not convenient, The Aerobus stops at Rossio square which would leave me with a 15 mins walk to my hotel with luggage. Taxis are a hit or miss as you may end up doing the tourist circuit while the meter is running.

I researched and found great reviews about a private taxi service called Lisbontaxi. I emailed asking about prices and Pedro (owner) answered promptly with a quote and I booked for both arrival and departure. Excellent service, I would use them again.
    The driver was waiting for me at the Airport arrival door with a sign, he picked up my bag and walked me to the car and in no time I was at the hotel. For the departure the driver picked me up from the hotel and drove me to the airport.

Manuel the driver who picked me up from the Airport was giving me all kinds of tips and explanations about Lisbon as we pass things on the way.

The price from the airport to hotel Mundial (near Rossio square) was 19 Euros for the Arrival and 15 Euros for the Departure.
    A friend I met in Lisbon paid 25 Euros one way by picking up a taxi from the airport to Hotel Mundial.

If you want a stress free Airport transport then I recommend you use them.

• Women's Travel

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Inexpensive Taxis, and Metro Info

by jumpingnorman Updated Feb 15, 2013

In September 2009, my sister and I just used the taxi to go from the airport to our centrally located hotel. It only cost us about 18 Euros. I noticed that taxis around the city are affordable, being about 5-10 Euros for travels within the city.

In the airport, it has also been suggested that taking the escalator up to the Departures will show up a lot of taxis that would charge less than at Arrivals. Maybe about 10 Euros to the city from the airport.

And now, it even gets better since the Metro is now open! Here is a site on tripadvisor which I find very helpful regarding the Metro and Airport arrival/departure: METRO INFORMATION:AIRPORT

Roads of Lisbon as seen from the air

• Branco's Profile Photo

Besides Metro and Bus, Taxis...

by Branco Updated Apr 19, 2010

€2,35/ 208 m
    After €0,10/240m

Luggage (> 55x35x20cm): 1,60€
    Animals: 1,60€

If the taxi gets out of the city: 0,35€/km.

***
    Besides Metro and Bus, Taxis are a good way of getting around. Lisbon taxis are cheap. All new vehicles are caramel coloured, as shown in the picture. The vehicles carry a white lozenge-shape on the door bearing the word 'TÁXI', beneath which is the word 'LISBOA'. Older taxis also bear this identifier, but are painted black with a turquoise/green roof and a number of taxis in this livery are still operating.
    Taxi fares are calculated on the basis of an initial flat charge, currently 2€. If luggage is carried, a further 1.6€ is charged. From the airport to most locations in central Lisbon should not cost more than 10€ plus any baggage and call-out charges. Meters are displayed in all licensed taxis so the fare should not come as a shock.
    Tips are voluntary; 10% is the norm.

• School Holidays

• a2lopes's Profile Photo

Lisbon - Taxi

by a2lopes Written Mar 3, 2009

Lisbon local taxis work with two main rates: # 1, during the week from 6am to 9pm; #2, at night 9pm - 6am and on weekends. Rate # 2 is 25% more expensive. The fare outside of the city is calculated on a km basis upon leaving the city limits, about 0,40€/km. Any motorway/ bridge tolls are paid by the client. When taking a cab, try to enquire about the price to your destination first. Save your receipt and check if the license plate matches the receipt details. See if the meter is running and rate code is correct. The top of the car show the rate code.

Taximeter starting rates are:- rate #1 - 2,00€ - rate #2 - 2,50€
    Luggage: 1,60€ ( bigger than 55x35x20cm); Animals: 1,60€; Call: 0.80€

taxi

• orangetree28's Profile Photo

Punctual and English Speaking Taxi driver Fernando

by orangetree28 Written Oct 16, 2008

I m so glad to met Fernando.
    He has a Navigator, a little English and he is ountual and
    I needed to go aiport early in the morning and he was in front of hotel on 6.05am as we agreed.
    As I understand, taxis are runned by individuals.
    So for taxi bookings, I believe he might be good
    Fernando :933191628

• Taking a cab in Lisbon Airport

by goncalo.valverde Written Oct 15, 2008

If you want to take a cab from the Airport to the city center DON'T go to the cue outside arrivals. Not all of the drivers here are dishonest but there's a big change you will ripped off.
    Instead of that follow the signs saying departures, go to the entrance lobby and get out through the exit door. Outside you'll find a lot of taxis waiting and this drivers here are much more reliable.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Taxi's

by keeweechic Written Aug 25, 2008

Taxi’s at the airport are usually plentiful so even a long queue can clear fairly quickly. The cream coloured taxis have metres and you should make sure they are turned on at the start of your journey. Fares are calculated on a flat charge and then by distance. Additional fees maybe for call out, at night or from the airport. There are many ranks in the city or you can just put your hand out and hail one.

• Architecture

• Birsen's Profile Photo

Airport taxi and general taxi service

by Birsen Written Oct 3, 2007

Taxi from the airport to the city center is very cheap compare to the other big cities. We paid 9€ to our hotel which was very closed to Parque de Eduardo VII. (make sure see the taximeter is on)

Tip: When we arrived to the airport taxi station there was a huge line, like 100s of people. I read this in the internet so they were mentioning about there is another station where upstairs of the airport departures enterance on second floor. (Where taxis drops off for departures) So we went there and few people were waiting for taxi, our taxi came in a minute and we did smart move from the other big line, keep it in mind :))

If you are 1 person and looking for alternative way. There is a bus It operates till 22: something I think, called "aerobus". Goes to Cais de Sodre in the very heart of the city. Cost 3€

• Long taxi lines at the airport? No problem...

by empee3 Written Sep 23, 2007

You landed at Lisbon airport and want to get a taxi to your hotel. Is the taxi waiting line in front of the arrival terminal excruciatingly long? Well, then go back inside, walk one floor up to the departure terminal and exit the building and there you will most probably see lots of taxis waiting for you. Last time we saved at least an hour of waiting time this way.

• PALLINA's Profile Photo

Taxi in Lisbon are still relatively cheap

by PALLINA Written Aug 23, 2007

Just left the airport, we looked for the Aerobus, raccomended by other VT members (pls note: such ticket is valid for all transportations of Lisbon on the same day so if you buy Lisbon card or cumulative tickets think about it...). It costs 3€ per person to reach Baixa suburb in Lisbon. After 40 minutes we were still wating for the aerobus and asked the taxi driver how much the its fee could be until Rossio. He said 10 €. Considering I came from Madeira, where I bought a beautiful plant for my apartment and to travel on a bus was not so confortable, I agreed to take the taxi. The return from the same hotel to the airport costed 7€, even! So the taxi costed us 4€ more (my calculation are for 2 people) and 1€ more when we came back.

• IvaT's Profile Photo

At night

by IvaT Written Aug 11, 2007

The best way getting around Lisboa at night is by taxi. They are not expensive at all. They have a starting price of 2.50 euro (at night) and a 10 minute trip costs around 5 euro. Taxi is great for getting to Bairro Alto, since it is up the hill and you'll have to walk the other way.

• Study Abroad

• Taxi to Lisbon

by dimilag Written May 17, 2007

You can use a taxi in order to get transferred to Lisbon. A taxi journey takes approximately 15-20 minutes and costs € 7 to 10 including luggage surcharge. In rush hour it will cost you a little bit more.

• el_ruso's Profile Photo

Taxis

by el_ruso Written Apr 20, 2007

Taxis are plentiful, mostly rather beatup Mercedeses. Fares are not high, and I would not recommend getting a ticket from the information booth in the airport - meter will be lower. From the airport to the center ran under E10. You will not spend more than that for any trip unless you are driving out of town.

Instant Answers: Lisbon