Taxis, Lisbon

Know about this? Rate It!

Roads of Lisbon as seen from the air
    by jumpingnorman
  • Toyin's Profile Photo

Lisbon Taxi

by Toyin Updated Jul 18, 2005

Lisbon Taxi

All the taxis in Lisbon are painted like this, so, it is easy for tourists to identify them and not run into dangers. They are save and very affordable. But, its good to have a very good idea of where you are going in order not to give the impression to the taxi driver that you are a complete JJC. That could cost you extra Euro.

• magictravelers's Profile Photo

Cheap

by magictravelers Written Apr 27, 2005

If you find yourself in the need to take a Taxi, don´t worry, they are cheaper than any other city in Europe we´ve been to. Ask at your hotel front desk the best driving directions to avoid rips-offs, but we took a taxi from Chiado to Nations Park (about 15-20 minute drive) and it cost of about 6 euros. We also took obe from the hotel to the airport and it was almost 6 euros, including airport fee and suitcase fee.

• aterola's Profile Photo

Taxi ordering in Lisbon Airport

by aterola Written Jan 3, 2005

When we landed in Lisbon, we wanted to get Taxi. Information of Airport offered to order taxi from Taxi service in arrivals hall. When we realised that they take 20 euros just for ordering taxi, we skiped their service and went outdoors, where line of people were taking taxi cars. It took 5 minutes to wait in line and we got realy good servise without any extra payments

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Taxis Everywhere

by Bwana_Brown Updated Oct 30, 2004

Standard Taxi

We used taxis in Lisbon several times, starting from the airport where this one is lined up. Almost every taxi is identical to this one in colour and most of them are also Mercedes sedans with meters. Overall, we found them to be a quick and relatively cheap way to get around the city. Our main use was to get to and from the airport as well as a couple of occasions when we were too tired after the day's walking to hike back uphill to our hotel in Saldanha!

After I had dropped our rental car off at the airport, we took a taxi back into the city for our final night and the driver said that, for E10, he could be booked to be waiting for us in the morning when we had to catch our flight home. I declined the offer and, in the morning, took my chances on the street in front of the hotel. In no time at all, a passing taxi pulled in and got us to the airport in record time for only E5 !! Give taxis a try if you feel like giving your feet a rest!

• Nelson1979's Profile Photo

Taxis and Subway are best way to get around

by Nelson1979 Written Jun 7, 2004

In Lisbon it'a a hell to drive your own car unless you are portuguese. The only way to drive safely is to break all the traffic rules just like the other portuguese drivers. Most places you can reach comfortably by subway (which can be a bit busy at peak hours) and if you cant get to that place by subway take a cab, they aren't too expensive and a nice way to get to your destination. Always ask the driver how much he thinks it will be to get to your destination.

• Renescheffer's Profile Photo

Take a taxi from the airport !

by Renescheffer Written May 10, 2004

From the airport to the city center, Baixa, i paid once 4.60 euro. Ik had no bags and it was a saturdayafternoon, so not to much traffic.
    It was not in 1971 but in oktober 2003 !
    With bags and more traffic it will set you up for about 6 to 9 euro.

• Taxis

by Ritac Updated Apr 18, 2003

Take care from the taxis that brings you from the airport - they use to charge a fee for the luggage. There's a night fee, too. And if you plan to go out of the city they will charge for Kilometer. At night, it's the best way for you to move. I add some phone numbers to call taxis.
    In every taxi you will find near the machine that counts the amount of money to pay an identity card with the name, licence number and professional number of the driver - like in most of the places you know. I heard several storys about people who was cheated by taxi drivers, making a false path to the destination in order to get more money, however I would say that most of this guys will not rob you and if you're polite to them they will be very gentle I guess. At least, this works with me (ok, I know I live here) :)))
    For a traject between Docas and Saldanha (where I live) during day, expect to pay 4 or 5 euro, at night it will cost you about 7 or 8 euro

• acemj's Profile Photo

Mercedes Taxis

by acemj Updated Mar 27, 2003

Taxis in Lisbon are cheap compared to the States and the rest of Europe. I took a cab from Belem to Rossio (about a 20 minute ride) and the meter only read 4.95 Euros! Not bad for a ride in a Mercedes.

I took this picture at the airport, but I wouldn't advise taking a tax from the airport into town as most of the few scams that occur are on this route. Plus, there are other more affordable alternatives. Ask the driver approximately how much it will be before you get in (just say, "Quanto custa para . . . ?")
    You can call a cab through Radio Taxis de Lisboa at 21 811 900 or Autocoope at 21 793 2756.

Instant Answers: Lisbon