Taxis, Lisbon

Know about this? Rate It!

Roads of Lisbon as seen from the air
  • Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Taxis Everywhere

by Bwana_Brown Updated Oct 30, 2004

Standard Taxi

We used taxis in Lisbon several times, starting from the airport where this one is lined up. Almost every taxi is identical to this one in colour and most of them are also Mercedes sedans with meters. Overall, we found them to be a quick and relatively cheap way to get around the city. Our main use was to get to and from the airport as well as a couple of occasions when we were too tired after the day's walking to hike back uphill to our hotel in Saldanha!

After I had dropped our rental car off at the airport, we took a taxi back into the city for our final night and the driver said that, for E10, he could be booked to be waiting for us in the morning when we had to catch our flight home. I declined the offer and, in the morning, took my chances on the street in front of the hotel. In no time at all, a passing taxi pulled in and got us to the airport in record time for only E5 !! Give taxis a try if you feel like giving your feet a rest!

• a2lopes's Profile Photo

Lisbon - Taxi

by a2lopes Written Mar 3, 2009

taxi

Lisbon local taxis work with two main rates: # 1, during the week from 6am to 9pm; #2, at night 9pm - 6am and on weekends. Rate # 2 is 25% more expensive. The fare outside of the city is calculated on a km basis upon leaving the city limits, about 0,40€/km. Any motorway/ bridge tolls are paid by the client. When taking a cab, try to enquire about the price to your destination first. Save your receipt and check if the license plate matches the receipt details. See if the meter is running and rate code is correct. The top of the car show the rate code.

Taximeter starting rates are:- rate #1 - 2,00€ - rate #2 - 2,50€
    Luggage: 1,60€ ( bigger than 55x35x20cm); Animals: 1,60€; Call: 0.80€

• acemj's Profile Photo

Mercedes Taxis

by acemj Updated Mar 27, 2003

Taxis in Lisbon are cheap compared to the States and the rest of Europe. I took a cab from Belem to Rossio (about a 20 minute ride) and the meter only read 4.95 Euros! Not bad for a ride in a Mercedes.

I took this picture at the airport, but I wouldn't advise taking a tax from the airport into town as most of the few scams that occur are on this route. Plus, there are other more affordable alternatives. Ask the driver approximately how much it will be before you get in (just say, "Quanto custa para . . . ?")
    You can call a cab through Radio Taxis de Lisboa at 21 811 900 or Autocoope at 21 793 2756.

• Taxis

by Ritac Updated Apr 18, 2003

Take care from the taxis that brings you from the airport - they use to charge a fee for the luggage. There's a night fee, too. And if you plan to go out of the city they will charge for Kilometer. At night, it's the best way for you to move. I add some phone numbers to call taxis.
    In every taxi you will find near the machine that counts the amount of money to pay an identity card with the name, licence number and professional number of the driver - like in most of the places you know. I heard several storys about people who was cheated by taxi drivers, making a false path to the destination in order to get more money, however I would say that most of this guys will not rob you and if you're polite to them they will be very gentle I guess. At least, this works with me (ok, I know I live here) :)))
    For a traject between Docas and Saldanha (where I live) during day, expect to pay 4 or 5 euro, at night it will cost you about 7 or 8 euro

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Taxi's

by keeweechic Written Aug 25, 2008

Taxi’s at the airport are usually plentiful so even a long queue can clear fairly quickly. The cream coloured taxis have metres and you should make sure they are turned on at the start of your journey. Fares are calculated on a flat charge and then by distance. Additional fees maybe for call out, at night or from the airport. There are many ranks in the city or you can just put your hand out and hail one.

• Architecture

• antistar's Profile Photo

Taxis

by antistar Updated Aug 22, 2005

Taxis in Lisbon are so cheap it is tempting to grab one for every journey you make.The downside is that none of the ones I encountered spoke English, and they only seemed to know the way to the most obvious destinations. I found having a map of my hotel printed out to give to them helped me out immensely. Speaking Portuguese doesn't help here, either, just in case you thought it might. We had the same problem with my Portuguese friend as I had on my own.

All the taxi drivers I met were very friendly, and they all used the meter. I didn't feel once like they were considering to rip me off, but you will want to be on your guard as everywhere. The drivers are, however, borderline insane. The driving of most Lisbonites is erratic, to put it politely, but the taxi drivers will give you a white knuckle ride. You might want to consider the fact that Portugal has the worst road safety record in the EU before getting in one :).

• Toyin's Profile Photo

Lisbon Taxi

by Toyin Updated Jul 18, 2005

Lisbon Taxi

All the taxis in Lisbon are painted like this, so, it is easy for tourists to identify them and not run into dangers. They are save and very affordable. But, its good to have a very good idea of where you are going in order not to give the impression to the taxi driver that you are a complete JJC. That could cost you extra Euro.

• PALLINA's Profile Photo

Taxi in Lisbon are still relatively cheap

by PALLINA Written Aug 23, 2007

Just left the airport, we looked for the Aerobus, raccomended by other VT members (pls note: such ticket is valid for all transportations of Lisbon on the same day so if you buy Lisbon card or cumulative tickets think about it...). It costs 3€ per person to reach Baixa suburb in Lisbon. After 40 minutes we were still wating for the aerobus and asked the taxi driver how much the its fee could be until Rossio. He said 10 €. Considering I came from Madeira, where I bought a beautiful plant for my apartment and to travel on a bus was not so confortable, I agreed to take the taxi. The return from the same hotel to the airport costed 7€, even! So the taxi costed us 4€ more (my calculation are for 2 people) and 1€ more when we came back.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Inexpensive Taxis, and Metro Info

by jumpingnorman Updated Feb 15, 2013

Roads of Lisbon as seen from the air

In September 2009, my sister and I just used the taxi to go from the airport to our centrally located hotel. It only cost us about 18 Euros. I noticed that taxis around the city are affordable, being about 5-10 Euros for travels within the city.

In the airport, it has also been suggested that taking the escalator up to the Departures will show up a lot of taxis that would charge less than at Arrivals. Maybe about 10 Euros to the city from the airport.

And now, it even gets better since the Metro is now open! Here is a site on tripadvisor which I find very helpful regarding the Metro and Airport arrival/departure: METRO INFORMATION:AIRPORT

• Business Travel

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

Lisbon Taxis

by mikelisaanna Written Jul 3, 2006

Lisbon is a hilly, sprawling city, and many of its best sights are not within easy walking distance of each other. If you are traveling with 2 or more people, taxis are a quick and easy way to get around the city. Most taxi rides that we took cost between four and eight Euros. Fares are slightly higher on weekends. The drivers were generally honest, except for on airport ride where the driver seemed to tack on a little extra onto the fare.

• aterola's Profile Photo

Taxi ordering in Lisbon Airport

by aterola Written Jan 3, 2005

When we landed in Lisbon, we wanted to get Taxi. Information of Airport offered to order taxi from Taxi service in arrivals hall. When we realised that they take 20 euros just for ordering taxi, we skiped their service and went outdoors, where line of people were taking taxi cars. It took 5 minutes to wait in line and we got realy good servise without any extra payments

• Taking a cab in Lisbon Airport

by goncalo.valverde Written Oct 15, 2008

If you want to take a cab from the Airport to the city center DON'T go to the cue outside arrivals. Not all of the drivers here are dishonest but there's a big change you will ripped off.
    Instead of that follow the signs saying departures, go to the entrance lobby and get out through the exit door. Outside you'll find a lot of taxis waiting and this drivers here are much more reliable.

• Birsen's Profile Photo

Airport taxi and general taxi service

by Birsen Written Oct 3, 2007

Taxi from the airport to the city center is very cheap compare to the other big cities. We paid 9€ to our hotel which was very closed to Parque de Eduardo VII. (make sure see the taximeter is on)

Tip: When we arrived to the airport taxi station there was a huge line, like 100s of people. I read this in the internet so they were mentioning about there is another station where upstairs of the airport departures enterance on second floor. (Where taxis drops off for departures) So we went there and few people were waiting for taxi, our taxi came in a minute and we did smart move from the other big line, keep it in mind :))

If you are 1 person and looking for alternative way. There is a bus It operates till 22: something I think, called "aerobus". Goes to Cais de Sodre in the very heart of the city. Cost 3€

• Renescheffer's Profile Photo

Take a taxi from the airport !

by Renescheffer Written May 10, 2004

From the airport to the city center, Baixa, i paid once 4.60 euro. Ik had no bags and it was a saturdayafternoon, so not to much traffic.
    It was not in 1971 but in oktober 2003 !
    With bags and more traffic it will set you up for about 6 to 9 euro.

• evilprebil's Profile Photo

Taxis

by evilprebil Written Oct 8, 2006

cabs and bus stops in the city

Taxis are a good way to get around Lisbon and generally pretty affordable. They are cream or green/black mercedes that zip around. They are generally easy to hail, just make sure there isn't a number on the light, that means it's occupied. There is a minimum charge of 2 euros and extra charges for calling by phone (0.80 euro) and baggage/pets (1.60 euros). There are also taxi stands throughout the city. Make sure that you ask for the price first to make sure that you're paying the correct price.

Instant Answers: Lisbon