Annoyances for tourists, Lisbon

• solopes's Profile Photo

Tile Museum

by solopes Updated Mar 5, 2013

Lisbon - Portugal

Unless you are studying Portuguese tiles, or visiting Madre de Deus church, or having plenty of time, I think you could skip this museum.

It's interesting and well organized, but Lisbon is, for itself, a large tile museum, and standing so apart from everything...

However, don't misunderstand me: its a serious institution, and if you're a tile lover it may be your place.

• Museum Visits

• Dizzyhead's Profile Photo

Don't buy drugs...

by Dizzyhead Written Mar 22, 2008

Well, I was dressed one day in March 2008 as a rocker and i have spent not a whole day in the capital of Portugal. I wore a black jacket in leather and during my time in Lisbon six people asked me if I wanted to buy drugs.... I did not do it and they did not make any money. so, dont dress as a rock star as I did. Then they will ask you...

• Gay and Lesbian
    • Women's Travel
    • Singles

• PALLINA's Profile Photo

too many drugs smugglers

by PALLINA Written Nov 21, 2007

In the Rossio area, where our hotel was located, we were spoken by many many, too many drug smugglers. No matter how old you are, how you look, if you are alone or not, just say no in a possibily polite way. As they ask to everyone, do not be surprise if the same smuggler will ask you the same thing after 10 minutes, if you are on they way back.

• Study Abroad
    • School Holidays

• Brisvegaskid's Profile Photo

Don't Step in the Doggie-Do

by Brisvegaskid Written Jan 5, 2007

Yeah well, this was one aspect of Portugal that was unfortunatelty remarkable. We were out early in the morning, as in before 8am, and we had to be very very careful about where we were stepping.

Honestly - they must have big dogs in Portugal. Not that we saw the big dogs. But we did see their droppings, and I'm here to tell you: they're in a good paddock.

We noticed that later in the day, the same problem wasn't quite as evident, so maybe the locals hose off the footpath. They certainly called warnings to us, where necessary!

• travelthrough's Profile Photo

Annoying to tourists!

by travelthrough Written Apr 11, 2005

Lisbon has beautiful streets, pavements, nice architecture - still the inhabitants in
    my opinion do not really seem to appreciate it. Many of them appeared cold, reserved
    and even moody to me, which I really find
    very, very sad. Maybe Portuguese should
    live down their past and enjoy the sun and
    the beautiful area around Lisbon...and treat
    tourists a bit more respectfully.
    Another problem is drugs in Lisbon: I just had arrived on the main street (Avenida Augusta and Prace do Commerco) in the
    Old City Center, when 3 persons came up
    to me offering me Hashish. Not very nice
    for tourists. The police does not seem to
    care. Then I was even offered Hashish
    when sitting in a café (!)...

• pigeons

by arasnosliw Written Mar 7, 2005

my numero uno enemy

love them or hate them (now I doubt many people love them), pigeons abound the central areas of the city. Walk around Rossio, Restauradores, Avenida de Liberdade, and they're more abundant than people. Don't you just love when they s*** on you? There's no better way to start the morning than with fresh sludge falling down from the sky on your freshly cleaned shirt. Coo cooooo, coo coooo cries the wretched ones.

• kidkilowatt's Profile Photo

Be prepared to wait

by kidkilowatt Written Feb 8, 2005

Angry and Annoyed

Arriving in Lisbon, you will be excited about your trip and probably not realize that the airport you have arrived in is one of the most confusing places on earth, so just take care on the trip home to give yourself plenty of time and be prepared for long lines and confusing directions or none at all. When we arrived at the airport for our long flight back to the states, there were no signs pointing us in the right direction to our airline. We were flying TAP, which you would think being the major Portuguese airline would be prominently placed in the airport, but you would be wrong. TAP was all the way in the corner and it took us a while to find it. When we did find the check in line, we were blown away by what a line it was. Don't expect to do your last minute duty free shopping- you might not have time. We spent close to an hour in line just to check in and when we finally did check in, there was 15 minutes left until our flight was to depart and at least 100-200 people still left to check in. If you have read this far, perhaps you get the point so I will just conclude here saying, give yourself time and if you are impatient about waiting like I am, take a deep breath and prepare yourself. P.S.- I suppose peoples' experiences will depend on whether or not they are travelling at a peak time.

• kidkilowatt's Profile Photo

No clean up after your dog rule!

by kidkilowatt Written Feb 8, 2005

Dog Statue at the Castle of St. George

I have read this on other peoples' Lisbon pages so it shouldn't come as any surprise to anyone doing research for a vacation in Lisbon but I thought I would re-echo the sentiment anyway. Despite the many spectacular views throughout the city, always try to keep one eye on the street to avoid stepping in one of the many piles of dog poop that you will encounter in the course of your day. This is really no joke- the hills in the city are steep and slipping on your way down or up for that matter could spell disaster.

• pugwashman's Profile Photo

Graffiti

by pugwashman Written Dec 21, 2004

The Elevador de Gloria covered in graffiti

Unfortunately, as with every other major city I've visited in the last few years, Lisbon has a graffiti problem. The main monuments seem to be free of it, but many of the side streets, and walls in the Alfama area have been ruined by the spray painters, which is a shame, especially when you've gone out your way to see something that's covered in the crap.

• DrexelDragon's Profile Photo

Subway closing time.

by DrexelDragon Written Nov 19, 2004

If you happen to stay in the Bairrio Alto as we did, and you head down to the waterfront then you need to be mindful of the time. Parque do Nacoes is far from the Bairrio Alto, and if you can't explain to a cab driver where to go then you need to get to the subway before it closes. If you can't explain to a cab driver where to go then you're screwed. We didn't end up getting stuck, but we ended up having to hurry to the subway. Check the time schedule. I believe it closes at 12:45 in the morning.

• Trains

• syphaxus's Profile Photo

drug sellers

by syphaxus Written Sep 17, 2004

people who sell drugs are usually searching very touristic places, such as the lovely "praca de comercio" which is located at the northern bank of the "rio tejo". it doesn't matter what kind of drug they might offer you, don't react and keep walking. firstly: touristic locations are usually surveyed by the police. secondly: the drugs they sell is of inferior quality as I was told by a portuguese student. most of the dealers pretend to sell sunglasses and they usually ask you first, if you want to buy sunglasses. if you deny, you will be offered drugs.

• Study Abroad

• smells of the city

by arasnosliw Written Sep 8, 2004

get used to the smells of feces and sardines (particularly in the summer) on the streets of lisboa. I now have the unique capability to distinguish the smell of sardinhas from kilometers away. and i have developed the quick maneuvering skills required to dodge in and out of piles of crap lying around the sidewalks.

• dlytle's Profile Photo

Food cost might be different inside versus outside

by dlytle Written Dec 22, 2003

Inside vs Outside Food Prices

My wife and I ate at a restaurant near the Praca Dom Pedro IV square just by the Rossio Metro station. The food was quite good and the service was excellent.

We decided to eat inside rather than outside to enjoy the air conditioning. It was then that I found out that if you eat inside some of these restaurants you'll pay one price for the meal and if you eat outside it'll be a different price.

The seats and tables are usually very crowded on the walkways outside, but of course it's much pleasanter as well, and the restaurants want to maximize their revenue potential from them. I've included a picture that shows, by the food ordered, the price in Euros they were asking if you ate inside versus what they wanted you to pay if you ate outside.

• Cruise

• Karlithus's Profile Photo

Pigeons!

by Karlithus Written Apr 10, 2013

Watch out, they're everywhere and they do love tourists! :)

When you stop, beware if you're below a wire line or some rooftop with edges, they love staying there and aim at you...!

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Steep Streets

by pieter_jan_v Written Dec 17, 2009

Steep Street

As Lisbon is built on hills, visiting the city involves some climbing.

Going to the hilltops with public transport (tram or elevador) and decent on foot is the way to go.

• Adventure Travel