Mafra Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Mafra

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Useful items around the "house"

Mobile outhouse, inhouse, Mafra, Portugal

Favorite thing: Any household, no matter how small or how big, has "things" that they use around the house.
    Mafra, big as it is, is no exception and here is a small collection of what we found there, from the mobile toilet to the games and musical intruments.

• Museum Visits

Statues and Portraits

D. Luis and his names, Mafra, Portugal

Favorite thing: Really liked several of the paintings here at Mafra. As a general rule have not liked most of the portraits and scenes found in many homes, castles, palaces and the like, they seem to dark and dreary for the most part.
    The third photo shows a half circle painting, beautifully done and the fact that it is not the regular rectangular form also draws one to it. The size is enormous, if you take into account that if I was standing by the painting I would come up about the the first person on the left knees.

Fondest memory: We were amused to say the least by the D.Luis explantion sign. This poor guy had about 100 names (well truly 19 or 20 I think), an entire empire could fall before he got announced at the door, not to mention that if they were calling him for LUNCH he would die of hunger.

• Museum Visits

Rooms

Wood everywhere in Mafra, Portugal

Favorite thing: Numerous rooms in Mafra contain some of the furniture used centuries ago, others have musical instruments, like the harpsicord that you seldom (or never) see today. Even the area dedicated to the "patients recovery" was well decorated and created a small private niche where a person could recover without hinderance of being crammed into a too tiny room with 1-2-3-4-5 or more other patients.
    The use of wood in some areas, such as the room I show here in the first photo was a delight, especially since it seemed to be of simpler decoration, made me feel right at home.

Halls

Hall in Mafra, Portugal

Favorite thing: Many of the "spaces" in Mafra are enormous, some of the halls seem like airplane landing strips, or soccer fields. Some of these spaces are almost impossible to catch on a regular camera, you need a special wide angle lens.
    The first photo was taken in the MIDDLE of the hall, looking in one direction with an equal distance behind me.
    Even the patient recovery hall in the fourth photo was huge, each patient having his own cubical along one of the side walls.

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Ceilings, they are there for a reason

Ceiling details from Mafra, Portugal

Favorite thing: Okay, so simply put the ceiling is there, like the roof, to keep the rain off your head...
    Here in Mafra they just made sure that the ceiling was MUCH more decorative. Zohara, my wife always laughs at me as I walk around with my eyes toward the ceilings and tend to run into posts, furniture and small kids...
    There is a folk song from the 60's or 70's that says "little boxes", talking about row upon row of homes that are identical. In Mafra each and every room has an identity. So turn your eyes upwards and look out for those posts while you enjoy.

Library, my total favorite

Mafra library, Portugal

Favorite thing: Sorry that I was not paying much attention to our guide book here and cannot seperate many of the things that I photographed to a specific location, such as the ceilings or names of halls that you could play soccer in. So where I can, I will label a specific room, but the photos will be in groupings of "type", like "hallways" or "ceilings"...there is just so much to take in.

So we will start our tour of Mafra from my favorite place and actually the place that we "saved" for the last, the LIBRARY. I have about 5,000 books at home, but here at Mafra you have over 40,000...now that is what I call a library.

Fondest memory: Having the place almost to ourselves.

Instant Answers: Mafra

Comments

Mafra Favorites

Reviews and photos of Mafra favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mafra sightseeing.