St. Maria Church, Sintra
Originally built by Dom Afonso Henriques in the 12th century, this church has undergone several alterations over the ages, especially in the late 13th century and early 14th century, and after the 1755 earthquake. Nowadays it is a Gothic-Romanesque building of three naves, with ogival arches and finely worked capitals - one of the few medieval traces that have survived.
Founded by Dom Afonso Herinques after the Reconquest (12th century), but completely altered at the end of the 13th and start of the 14th Century, this ancient Gothic temple has three naves with ogival arches and finely worked capitals, and expresses admirably the sacred space of medieval churches. The main doorway, inscribed in a Gothic gablet, was added to in the early 16th Century - a double entrance with classical column in the centre. Also from that period are the choir with its lacunar vaulting and the font and stoup, which are Manueline. Of note is an excellent sculpture of the Immaculate Conception, in polychrome wood (17th Century) in the Gothic chancel.