St. Pedro de Penaferrim Church, Sintra
Medieval in origin, already exisiting in 1403, this church was enlarged in the 16th Century (1565) on the initiative of Dom Alvaro de Castro. It has a single nave with a 16th Century lacunar vault and the side walls are lined with magnificent panels of blue and white azulejos of Lisbon workmanship, dating from the first half of the 18th Century and depicting scenes from the life of Saint Peter. Also noteworthy is the Baroque doorway of the facade, carrying the arms of the Archbishop of Lisbon, Dom Tomás de Almeida, a prelate who endowed the church with important works.
In the body of the church of note is a Gothic sculpture of Saint Peter (15th Century) originally in the Romanesque Chapel of Sao Pedro, the ruins of which are still to be seen near the Castelo dos Mouros. In the sacristy is an ivory Christ, of Luso-Oriental origin (end of the 17th Century) and a canvas by Bento Coelho (circa 1700).