Portugal's last sailing warship
The Dom Fernando II e Gloria, a 50-gun frigate, was Portugal's last sailing warship -- a last testament to Portugal's long maritime history. The frigate was built in India from precious woods. It sailed between Portugal and the territories in India, carrying close to 400 men. In 1945, it started to be used for navy training. In 1963, it caught fire and was heavily damaged, and for 30 years, it lay aground in the Tagus river. In 1993, the ship was restored to be presented during the Lisbon's hosting of the World Expo in 1998.
Today, the fully restored ship is a museum, and berched in a quay at Cacilhas docks, just a few steps away from the ferry station.
- Sailing and Boating
- Museum Visits
Although many folks who live in Lisbon are always saying "what? i'll never live on the other side of the river!!!!" when good weather comes the highways get fill up with them running to the beaches located on the south side of the Tagus river.
Cristo Rei, the statue of....
From this point you can see the best view over Lisbon, this Christ statue was build in 1952-1959 (although the accquisition of the land was on 1941 and the laying of the foundation stone on 1949), his erection sought to express the following:
National recognition of the universal kingship of Christ.
Profound and eternal thanks that through the intercession of the lmmaculate Heart of Mary Portugal was spared involvement in the second World War.
Reparation for those who refuse to accept the claim of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. %f`*
Details about the statue
Height of the hill above the river Tagus - 113 m
The monument itself
Height - 110,60 m
Depth of the bracket - 14 m
Volume of the whole complex of reinforced concrete - 20.000 m3
Weigh - - 41 thousand metric tons (1 ton - 2204.6 lbs)
Base - 25 metres by 25 metres
Pedestal - 82 square metres
Statue - 28 square metres
Visibility - from 20 kilometres
Details of the Statue
Head - 4,05 m
Heart - 1,89 m
Arms - 10 m
Sleeves (height) - 5 m
Spanse, from fingertip to fingertip - 28 m
Authors to the project
Architec Ant?nio Lino
Engineer D. Francisco de Mello e Castro
Mestre Francisco Franco (Statue of Christ the King)
Mestre Leopoldo de Almeida (Statue of Our lady of F?tima in the chapel
Copied from the original Brazilian version in the middle of the 20th century, the statue stands discreetly and harmoniously in the horizon, when seen from Lisbon, and it is a fabulous balcony for a general look over Lisbon.
Crossing the river is today, a quick ride (if you are not in rush hours...)
- Arts and Culture
Cristo Rei statue
The Cristo Rei statue is part of the Santuário Nacional de Cristo Rei.
The construction of this National Monument started in 1950 and was completed in 1959.
Besides the statua with observation deck at 184 meters altitude, there's the Chapel of Our Lady of Peace and Sala Beato João XXIII.
The base was designed by architect António Lino; the Christ figure of 28 meters height was designed by sculptor Francisco Franco de Sousa.
There is a small hostel with 4 dormatories for up to 70 youngsters.
Daily: 9.30 AM - 6PM
Admission: Euro 2.50
- Religious Travel
- Arts and Culture
This monastery is located on Outeiro do Funchal (near Caparica), was built on 1558 and was almost destroyed in 1755 by the earthquake.
From here we can see one of the best views over Costa da Caparica, the town where some good beaches near Lisbon are located.
View over Costa da Caparica
From Capuchos monastery you can see one of the best views over Costa da Caparica, yesterday (26.01.2003) we had finally great weather and decided to go take a walk... So we went just to Costa da Caparica walk on the pier and to Capuchos to see the views.
1. Cristo Rei Area
Points of Interest
1 – The Sanctuary
The first idea came from the cardinal of Lisbon in a visit in the 30’s to the city of Rio de Janeiro. Have a statue with the magnificence and beauty of the one in Brazil that would value the city and consecrate the religious strength of the people of Portugal against the atheism that was to came to the world, as the prophesy of our lady of Fatima claimed.
Besides that there were signs of war that troubled the minds of the bishops of Portugal. They were worried of the echoes of war (II world war) coming from the 4 corners of Europe. So they decided to ask for help to the sacred heart of Jesus to keep the country safe from this war.
The neutrality that Portugal was able to have during WWII was able to spare the country to the doom and chaos that destroyed many other nations. The city filled with spies and refugees many of those looking for a safe passage to America. The reserves of tungsten, an important element for reinforcement of metal and hence for the production of weapons was one of the key elements for the protection of the country by both sides while the saving account of the country was filling up with gold. Although pale today to what they used to Portugal is still the 12th country in the world with the largest gold reserves.
From 1939 to 1958 children were sent throughout the country to ask for money for the construction of the monument.
It was in 1949 that the first stone was placed. The government was happy to celebrate the event and management of the situation during world war II, there was money available and an enormous interest of the religious community. It was also the 50th anniversary of the sister Mary of the Divine Heart (Maria Droste zu Vischering) that died in Porto and had a significant role in the consecration of all mankind to the heart of Jesus.
After more than 40 thousand tons of concrete were used the statue was inaugurated in 1959 in the presence of several bishops and more than 300.000 people.
The monument is set high, 113m above sea level and has 100 meters high allowing a fabulous view of the river Tagus and the city of Lisbon.
Address: 2800-058 Almada
Phone: +351 212 751 000
Schedule: Winter – 9h30-18h15 Summer – 9h30-18h30 – Saturday and Sunday until 19h.
2 – Statue of Fernão Mendes Pinto
A small but expressive statue, in honor to the man from the XVI century that wrote the book Pilgrimage from his trips around the world. In the course of his travels in the Middle and Far East, Pinto visited Ethiopia, the Arabian Sea, China (where he claimed to have been a forced laborer on the Great Wall), India and Japan. He claimed to have been among the first group of Europeans to visit Japan and initiate the Nanban trade period.
Pilgrimage shows Pinto as sharply critical of Portuguese colonialism in the Far East. The vivid tales of his wanderings over twenty years – he wrote, for example, that he was "thirteen times made captive and seventeen times sold" – were so unusual that they were mostly not believed. They gave rise to the saying "Fernão, Mentes? Minto!", a Portuguese pun on his name meaning "Fernão, do you lie? Yes, I lie!".
Fernão mendes Pinto died in Almada in 1583.
Address - Rua Cidade de Ostrava, 2800 Pragal
1 – Almada Youth Hostel – My Rating – 8/10
The main highlight is the spectacular view over the city of Lisbon for a very decent price.
Address – Quinta do Bucelinho – Pragal – 2800-358 Almada
Phone - +351 212 943 491
Beds – 124
Internet – Yes
Parking – Yes
Breakfast – Yes
Swimming Pool – No
Price (double room/night with WC) – 42€
Subway – Margem Sul Subway – Line 1 or 3 - Stop: Almada or Bento Gonçalves
Bus - Transportes Sul do Tejo (TST) - 101, 152, 153, 176
- Budget Travel
Half day trip to Cristo Rei monument in Almada
Take a ferry to left bank of Tagus river and then with bus to Almada. Visiting this monument was good decision because of the great views of Lisbon, river, bridge and surrounding area.
- Religious Travel