Amarante Restaurants

Restaurante Estoril, Amarante, Portugal
  • View from Restaurante Estoril, Amarante, Portugal
    View from Restaurante Estoril, Amarante,...
  • View of Restaurante Estoril from across the Tamega
    View of Restaurante Estoril from across...

Most Recent Restaurants in Amarante

• Largo de Paço: Worth every dime!

by BohoTraveller Written Feb 7, 2012

Traditional Portuguese cuisine with an ultra modern twist is how I'd ultimately describe this gem of a one star Michelin restaurant located in the five star Hotel Casa da Calçada in Amarante, Portugal. It's really not as intimidating, nor as expensive as it sounds. The building is situated along the Tâmega River and we sat at a table overlooking the river, as well as the historic bridge and the São Gonçalo Church on the opposite side.

Neither my husband nor I have any complaints about the decor or ambience. It was relaxing and we felt comfortable. The staff was professional, courteous and attentive without hovering. Our lunch was two and a half hours long and not once did we feel rushed. It was the perfect place for a romantic afternoon.

Favorite Dish: There is an a la carte menu, as well as a fixed price executive menu (€25,00) for lunch, but we decided to go for the full tasting menu (€50,00 per person) and without a single regret. During our visit, the tasting menu was composed of several small dishes, nine counting two unexpected appetizers, plus coffee. The unexpected items blew us away - talk about every bite being packed with flavour, and I do mean every bite. Three spoons, each containing a different item were served a few minutes after receiving our beverages. I adored the first, which was salmon in an oyster sauce served on caviar. The second was brie stuffed radish with a mango confit, which was my husbands favourite. Off the menu, the dishes were gorgeously presented and each had their own charm. It's hard to describe each dish without going on and on, and considering that the tasting menu changes every season, I'd imagine that in a couple of months this review will be outdated. What I will say, though, is that the main ingredients of each dish, whether it was octopus, squid, chicken, sausage or veal, was cooked to absolute perfection. I have eaten a lot of squid and octopus at a lot of great restaurants in Europe and North America, but I have never had them as melt-in-your-mouth tender as I did at this restaurant.

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Restaurante Estoril: Restaurante Estoril for the view

by Martin_S. Updated Jun 29, 2011

View from Restaurante Estoril, Amarante, Portugal

While parking along the side of the Igreja de Sao Goncalo before visiting we went to the Tamega riverside for a look. From that point we could see a restaurant with a balcony hanging over the river with a view back toward the church and the Ponte de Sao Goncalo, we decided that we should eat lunch there.
    Sorry to say that we were late for lunch, it was 14:00 and everything was closing down for the afternoon. But the restaurant owner did offer us "leftovers" since his wife (who is the cook) had gone home and there was nothing left to offer.
    So we for 13 Euro each we had a salad, soup, CocaCola, Pork pate and bread, but we DID have a wonderful view as you can see in the photo.
    The other photos show the owner at the entrance and Zohara on the street where you can find the restaurant.

Favorite Dish: We did learn that they also have rooms to offer (Residencial), although we did not check them out.

• micas_pt's Profile Photo

Restaurante Casa do Silva: Delicious!

by micas_pt Written Oct 12, 2004

A few km outside Amarante

A few km outside Amarante there are the “preserved villages” – both to the right and to the left of the road. If you follow the sign to the left you will come across a familiar restaurant on the crossroad – it is called Restaurante Casa do Silva. We had dinner once there and we enjoyed it a lot. The recommend food on this small and simple restaurant is roasted meat on the oven – it is delicious!! Deserts are also very good. Prices are cheap and portions huge!

-: By the Monastery

by micas_pt Written Oct 12, 2004

By the Monastery

By the Monastery there is a pleasant terrace with open door café. We went there both during the day and at night and it was always very pleasant. It isn’t usually very crowded, service is regular and so are the products.

What struck me the most about this terrace was the location – by the Monastery and overlooking the Bridge, River and the other margin. It is very pleasant to admire Amarante’s monuments and also to observe locals, as this square seems to be a central point in city’s movement.

-: Fabulous pastry

by micas_pt Written Oct 8, 2004

Tasty pastry

By the Bridge on a nice building and with a balcony overlooking the River there is a pleasant restaurant and café. I never used it as a restaurant, so I can't account to the quality of the food, but I used it more than once as a café and to this I can assure that the pastry it is delicious!!

Service is very nice and the location is superb!! Pastry is very good (and cheap) and the local typical sweets are very well cooked on this house. I highly recommend tasting them while sitting on the nice balcony.

• ncfg's Profile Photo

Nice Cafes

by ncfg Updated Mar 21, 2005

While i was in Amarante i could see nice cafés with outdoors tables from where the river view is amazing. It is great to take a good drink while enjoy the view :-)

Instant Answers: Amarante

Comments

Amarante Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Amarante restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Amarante sightseeing.