Cafe Majestic, Porto

by Roadquill
  • Cafe Majestic
    by Audrey118
  • cachaseiro's Profile Photo

majestic cafe: the cafe of intellectuals.

by cachaseiro Written Oct 7, 2008

cafe majestic.

the cafe majestic is one of the oldest cafes in porto and the most famous.
    it´s located in the main shopping street and has traditionally been the hang out of artists, musicians, politicians and other intellectuals.
    it has become a place to be seen these days too and it does reflect the prices there which can be a little high in my opinion.

Favorite Dish: i just sat there for a coffee and that was well made.

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting
    • Singles

• evilprebil's Profile Photo

Cafe Majestic: Popular for a reason

by evilprebil Updated Oct 16, 2006

mmmm...sandwich!

This is a tourist haven, but it would be a shame to avoid it on that account. We were going to avoid eating there, but we wanted to stop at FNAC (which is nearby) so we gave in. I'm definately glad we did. The food is somewhat creative, which is nice. We sat outside and sipped some Super Bock beers and watched the movement down the street. A lot of the people we were travelling with also happened to stop here and were pleased with their meals as well. Service is efficient, but you still have to really work to get the check. It is a beautiful cafe inside as well as the decor style dates from the 1920's.

Favorite Dish: I had an interesting sandwich which had beef, ham and some garlic sausage covered completely in cheese and an extremely tasty house sauce, some sort of beef broth/tomato/wine reduction I think. It even came with a shrimp on top. It is called francesinha, which is literally translated to little French thing. Rob enjoyed a smoked salmon club sandwich with capers and cucumbers which was also a perfect lunch.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Majestic Cafe: Food, wine, great ambience

by Roadquill Written Jun 29, 2009

We needed a great meal and it was readily apparent the hotel staff were clueless so I hit the nearest internet spot and looked on chowhound.com. Cafe Majestik came up several times and, better yet, it was just down the street from us on Santa Catalina. The restaurant is very nicely decorated, waiters dressed up, linen tablecloths. A little pricey and, as we expected, mostly tourists as it was a bit expensive, we were told, for the locals. We enjoyed the dinner. The girls got milk shakes, which were more milky than we are accustomed to at home. The melon and proscutto boat was tasty and cute.

• Wine Tasting

• Audrey118's Profile Photo

Cafe Majestic: the ambience

by Audrey118 Written Jan 28, 2006

a must go place even if it is for a cafe. The interior itself is so ornate, service is excellent....

we had the typical Porto dish called Francesinha, it is really yummy. It is normally eaten s supper... It is a sandwich, filled with ham, steak, and the bread is covered with cheese, grilled, and then flooded with this unique sauce.

they also have a special breakfast for 15 euro

Favorite Dish: recipe copied form a website

2 thin slices of rye bread

1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    1tsp mustard
    2tbsp brandy
    1tbsp butter

Put the ham, the sausage cut in the middle, the steak and the lingui?a between the two slices of bread.

Cover with the cheese and put in the oven until it melts.

Boil the ingredients for the sauce and then coat the Francesinha.

Toast the bread, brush with the melted butter, and fry the steak, the sausage and the lingui?a.

Put the ham, t

• BlueLlama's Profile Photo

Cafe Majestic: Didn't live up to its name

by BlueLlama Updated Jan 17, 2008

Apparently the Cafe Majestic does a decent sandwich. Indeed, it seems to do a good trade in sandwiches. Unfortunately I went for the octopus. This was a very bad choice as the shellfish turned out to be inedible. Not inedible as in unpalatable, but as in physically impossible to eat. My mum had finished her sandwiches by the time it took me to saw a single piece of octopus into bite-size sections. And then, once I'd finally got the things into my mouth, my teeth weren't up to the challenge of chewing them. Every time our very attentive waiter came to the table I was suffocating on octopus before having to gulp it down whole. And it wasn't just tough, but also slimy, charred and stone cold by the time I came to eat a piece. Truly horrible.

The atmosphere is interesting, pretty historic, but a bit more frayed around the edges than I expected. There was a pool of water under our table. All of that said, the interior decor and service succeed in letting you believe you've stepped back in time. The service in particular was good, and our waiter genuinely wanted to know why I hadn't liked my food and whether I'd like a replacement. The problem was that we just wanted to get out of the Majestic by that point.

Favorite Dish: If you want to visit for the art deco environment, my sincere advice is to stick to the sandwiches! These two thing raised - just - my rating to a two.

• p3_sheep_eo's Profile Photo

The Majestic Cafe.: The Majestic Cafe.

by p3_sheep_eo Written Aug 25, 2002

The Majestic Cafe was like a scene from the twenties, and is quite a famous cafe in Porto, i think its were all the artists, poets and so forth used to meet up back then, and has been been done up back to its original stlye.

Favorite Dish: VT member ELP advised me to try what's known as Francesinha, its like a thick toasted ham sandwich covered in cheese, with a sauce, served in a dish, they are a particular dish from Porto and made no where else and are delicious. You were right ELP better than Mcdonalds!!!!!

• Kurt_S.'s Profile Photo

Cafe Majestic in Santa...

by Kurt_S. Updated Feb 19, 2003

Cafe Majestic in Santa Catarina 120. A cafe in the style of the roaring twenties. The furniture is still original from 1922. Very nice and worth visiting if you want to grasp a little bit of that life-style described in the novels of Agatha Christie.

Instant Answers: Porto

Comments

Hotels Near Cafe Majestic
3.0 out of 5 stars