Indian Restaurants, Porto

• k_kane's Profile Photo

Taj: Even better Indian food

by k_kane Written Jun 19, 2003

After going to Mendi quite a few times I was persuaded to go to Taj. It is near Matosinhos which is a little bit out of the centre, but you can take the newly built metro there, for example, from Boavista. Taj is quite recently opened and when I went it was a Sunday afternoon and the door was locked. I was just about to leave when a guy came out side (I think for a cigarette). He told me it was open. Inside, the decor was very modern and nice. I ordered, and the food came quickly. It was delicious. Mendi has good food but it is not like the Indian food I can get in London. Here in Taj, the food is comparable to any good Indian restaurant. While I was there, the owner came and chatted to me. He gave me something which was like a pancake filled with a pototo curry to try (for free). It was delicious. I've upgraded my favourite restaurant in Porto from Mendi to this one. It's HIGHLY recommended! It's also a little bit cheaper, even taking into account the Metro fare...

Favorite Dish: I had the vegetable curry! It was great.

• k_kane's Profile Photo

Mendi: Great Indian Food

by k_kane Written Mar 12, 2003

I found Mendi in a guide book but was also recommended it by the locals. It is my favourite restauant in Porto and I have tried quite a few of them! The food is not quite the same is in Indian restaurants in London but it is nonetheless extremely tasty. I' m vegetarian which is very difficult in Porto, but Mendi's has a whole section on the menu dedicated to vegetarian dishes. Everything I have had there has been of fantastic quality. I have even had take-aways for lunch at work the next day. The only thing is that it is quite small and booking is advised. On one occasion they were turning people away because it was full. It is expensive compared with the other restaurants. My only tiny criticism is that you only get one poppadom and it is considered a starter!

Favorite Dish: I have tried many of the vegetarian dishes and they were all amazing. The peshwari naan is great and they have a mushroom and pea curry which is my favourite.

Instant Answers: Porto