Portuguese traditional food, Porto

View from the restaurant
  • Portuguese traditional food
    Octopus
  • halikowski's Profile Photo

Marisqueria: Good food at reasonable prices

by halikowski Written Sep 20, 2013

Great selection of food - where in northern Europe could you find around ten different fish dishes all for only 7 euros 50? Vinho verde in a generous 1/2 litre 'jarro' for 2 euros! Good atmosphere, efficient and honest waiters, good selection of 'digestifs' like Amendoa amarga, or bitter almond...

Favorite Dish: I had pescada with a supposedly 'arroz a grega' i.e. with southern dried fruits, but I think they forgot that. Good salads. Many people seemed to be going for the 'Francesinhas', but you need to be a hearty meat eater to embark on that route.

• Salvatore83's Profile Photo

Vinum Restaurant % Wine Bar: Lovely gastronomy and winery

by Salvatore83 Written Feb 25, 2013
    Exterior

It is situated into the Graham´s Port Lodge, this restaurant has opened recently. The place is proposed as a high local and international gastronomy proposal turning in all moment around the wine; specifically Porto wine. It has two spaces, the Wine bar to taste wine for cups and little tapas; and the restaurant with delicious fishes and meats plates; everything fresh and almost without preparation. There is also, a wine list proposal with more than100 references. The location is in front of the Duero River and aside to the Atlantic Ocean, has excellent views of the city too. Recommended!

Favorite Dish: Fresh fish from the market of Matosinhos
    The fish is on the dayli catch, make it at the grill, almust no sauce or condiments. Great experience!

• Museum Visits
    • Wine Tasting

• Restaurante Churrasuqeira Beira Rio: The Only Brasserie In The Historical River Side

by Pmenezes82 Written Jan 5, 2012

Beira Rio has a outdoor zone just delitful.
    Looking to the historical part of Porto and the UNESCO Wourld Patrimonial D.Luis Bridge (built by Eifel), anyone can be surprised by the feeling inside. When you join this with very well cooked Portuguese cuisine, the result can be astonishing.
    Just try and you will see.

Favorite Dish: The octopus is without a doubt the best dish, a true experience.

• Seniors
    • Photography

• turtlebella's Profile Photo

Solar do Vinho do Porto: Try all kinds of port!

by turtlebella Updated Apr 4, 2011

At the Solar do Vinho do Porto

If you'd like to taste port and do so in a beautiful setting, you can't miss with the Solar do Vinho do Porto in Porto. Beautifully situated beneath the Museo Romantico in an 18th century villa, next to the Jardim do Palacio Cristal (a beautiful garden worth visiting itself) with views of the Douro River. You can, weather permitting, sit in the beautiful garden, watch the sunset, sipping on port and eating almonds, cheese, cashews, some desserts. Best of all, you can taste any number of the hundreds of ports produced in Portugal- ruby, tawny, colheita, or white. You can even try a vintage- each day they open a single bottle for people to taste. Excellent, friendly service.

Favorite Dish: The port, of course! I am partial to tawny port myself. But here's your chance to test 10 year tawny versus 20 year tawny versus colheitas versus ruby...

• MarioPortugal's Profile Photo

Presuntisco: Presuntisco - small & charming

by MarioPortugal Updated Apr 4, 2011

staff

Presuntisco open its doors in 2001 in this small place that should be about 600 years old. It specialized on the flavor typical Portuguese food to be served in small dishes. However four major entrees are generally available daily.

Caldo Verde, a traditional Portuguese kale soup, is a suggestion to start with. They even bake their own bread on the premises.
    All food is cooked by order only.

Delicatessens are many such as blood rice sausage (from Lamego, Portugal) and a alleira de caça, a sausage using only game meat (from Montalegre, Portugal). A really treat I should say. Additionally 40 presuntos (smoked serrano ham) are also available for order.

Options on cheeses are such a 3-year aged sheep, or a white goat, or a cow cheese from São Jorge Island, Azores, among a total of 20 different. All cheeses are portuguese.

Entrees:
    Arroz de Polvo (Rice with Octopus) - made from a 3 Kg octopus.
    Polvo assado no Forno (Octopus roasted in the oven) made of a 8 Kg octopus.
    Bacalhau do lombo assado no Forno (Cod Fish with crumb breads on top roasted in the oven)
    Vitela Barrosã (grilled Barrosã cow meat) Barrosã is an autochthonous portuguese cow whose meat is flavor and limited produced.

Presuntisco also offers 500 different wines !!!
    90% of the wines are from Douro or wouldn't this restaurant be in Oporto !?.
    5% are from Alentejo and 5% are Alvarinhos Vinho Verde.

It's a small restaurant that seats 30 people inside plus an additional 30 people outside.
    Chef Luis Miguel have been formerly at the Sheraton Porto Hotel, now Porto Palace Hotel.
    All major credit cards are accepted.

• dutchboycalledjan's Profile Photo

Vinhas D'Alho: Modern and traditional

by dutchboycalledjan Written Aug 22, 2010
    Octopus

We had a lovely lunch at this modern looking restaurant who took traditional recipes and modernized them. They not only look better: the combination of look, feel, smell and taste was great. They have also a very impressive wine list, very unusual but smartly presented by character. I just followed their advise and we were served a brilliant white wine for just under 20 euro's. Friendly staff, without the smart attitude they sometimes have in modern restaurants. All this and views over the Douro too!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Postigo Da Ribeira.: Really nice food late in the evening.

by cachaseiro Written May 9, 2010

Postigo Da Ribeira.

The reason why i ended up in this place was that i arrived late to Porto and had problems finding a place that was still open for dinner.
    This was just before midnight.
    I was very happy when i ended up at Postigo Da Ribeira though as i had a very nice dinner there.
    The meat was tender and the service was excellent eventhough they had to deal with a very large group.
    The bill came to 15 euros and that included a strter, a main dish and a beer and i find that very resonable.
    The interior was very cosy in old fashioned portugese style that i liked.

Favorite Dish: I had a beef steak with mushrooms and that was just fantastic.

• Beer Tasting

• jorgec25's Profile Photo

Capa Negra II: The Francesinhas

by jorgec25 Written Aug 12, 2009

Francesinha with chips

I had to try the famous francesinha, and everybody told me that the place to do it is the capa negra restaurant. I went to capa negra II, near the Baovista roundabout, and right down the street of the Fenix Hotel.

The place is big, but it's always packed. The waiting time at the tables was about one hour, and we went there at 22h.

But if you're willing to eat at the counter, you can get a place in no time.

Favorite Dish: I only tasted the francesinha, buit it was even better than expected. Really tasty.
    If you to have a pint of lager to go along with the francesinha, just ask for a "Tulipa". If you are really, really thirsty, you can order a "Girafa".

Portuguese traditional food: Postigo Do Carvao

Postigo Do Carvao Restaurant, Porto

We came upon this restaurant, while wandering around in the mist in Ribeira, looking for somewhere reasonably cheap to eat. As it was March, a lot of places weren't open. Although quite empty (this should have been a warning!), we decided the menu looked ok.

The restaurant was quite spacious, with tables and chairs set out on the ground floor, and on a raised platform to one side. A TV was showing a football match. There was only one waiter on duty, and he wasn't too busy as there were only 4 other diners!!

I enjoyed a beer while we chose from the menu, I chose steak with Roquefort cheese sauce, Joy also had a steak.

The appetizer tray appeared (we didn't know at this stage, that you only pay for what you eat (so if you don't want an appetizer, just move the tray away to one side)- see my appetizer tip above).

We'd only just finished eating the ham platter, when the waiter then appeared with some savoury pasties, (which we declined).

The empty restaurant, which felt quite cold and damp, didn't lead to a cosy dining experience,.
    Apparently this is classed as a Restaurante Tipico and Bar, with Live Music.

Eventually our main courses arrived. I would like to be able to say that I enjoyed my meal, but I'm afraid that my steak was only luke warm, with a warmer cheese sauce on top. Normally, I would have asked for the waiter to change this, but I think I was just tired, hungry and ready to leave. I struggled to eat a few bites, and soon pushed my plate away. Joys food was slightly better.

On cue, the waiter arrived, with a selection of tired looking desserts, again we declined, and asked for the bill.

The bill was a long time in arriving, but we paid the 28.90 Euro's with a 50 euro note.

Apparently, a row then broke out between the waiter and one of the female kitchen staff (I missed this bit because I'd nipped to the toilet) due to there being no change. So there was another long wait.

We weren't sure if this was a ploy, but we did eventually get our change. I think someone was dispatched to get some change from another restaurant or elsewhere.

Favorite Dish: Well, the Appetizer of slices of ham, was very nice. My beer was cold and crisp, but my main course, and the service was sadly lacking!

Perhaps we just hit this place on a bad night (I've since read reviews recommending this place), but it is the first time in a long while that I've not enjoyed a meal out.

• suvanki's Profile Photo

All over Porto: Portuguese Beers -and some Portugese phrases!

Super Bock lager, Porto

Super Bock and Sagres beers are to be found in most bars and cafes, either draught or bottled, and in supermarkets in bottles or cans.

Super Bock is brewed just outside Porto by the Unicer brewery, and is more popular in Northern Portugal, while Sagres is brewed in Lisbon, and is more popular through the rest of the country. Both brands are sold abroad too.

Although Lisbon is home to Sagres, it is Super Bock, that sponsors the annual 'Super Bock Super Rock' Festival in Lisbon each May

Both companies brew a variety of styles Classic (both), Twin (SB) Zero (S) are non alcoholic, Abaida (SB) Bohemian (S) darker, wheat based beers, Stout (SB) and Preto (S)- light stout beer, Green beer (SB) sweet beer with lime flavouring, Tango (SB) red coloured beer with redcurrent flavouring and Chopp (S) a Brazillian style lager.

I tried both brands bottled and draught classic styles, and found them to be a pleasant, crisp drink.
    To be honest, I thought that they tasted quite similar, but I also noticed that when I asked for draught beer, it was sometimes Sagres on the pump. but served in a Super Bock glass and vice versa.

I'm not too sure as to the strengths, think SB is between a 5.6% and a 5.8%!! So, one to respect!

Apparently this beer gained cult status amongst Man Utd fans, after visiting the city to see their team play Porto a few years ago.
    There are even Man Utd T-Shirts featuring the Super Bock logo, and the fans' claim that SB gets you p****d quicker than Stella Artois!

Checking out the 'beer anoraks' ratings of various beers and lagers on various websites, SB and Sagres create differing reports from 'the BEST Beer in the World ever!' to 'toilet cleaner'

Some useful phrases!

Beer = cerveja

one = um
    Two = dois
    Three = tres
    four = quatro

Bottled Beer=uma garrafa

half a litre (draught) = uma caneca

regular glass (draught) = um fino (or um imperial)

how much is it? = Quanto e?

Bill = Conta

toilet = lavabo

UPDATE I've just seen Superbok on sale at my local Asda supermarket in Sheffield! not tried it yet though!

• Beer Tasting

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Portugese Restaurants: Appetizers - a Warning!

Appetizers, Chez Lapin, Porto

Our first meal in Porto was at Chez Lapin. (Please see my previous tip) After ordering our meal, a tray arrived with a selection of breads, olives and a couple of small bowls containing a dressed salad and a black pudding dish.

The waiter had disappeared before we could ask why we'd been given this food.

We'd spotted similar trays on other tables, and as we were hungry, we tucked in!

Apparently, this is common practice in Portugal.

Each item eaten is counted, then you are charged for what you eat. It's not a Free gift from the Restaurant!!

Now we didn't mind, as the food was delicious, but on our second night out (at a different place), the selection wasn't as nice, but we still hadn't realised that you get charged for what you eat.(Anything you leave isn't charged for) I didn't find out, until I read about this on my return home. (I'd not done my usual research, or bought a guide book)

The phrase Nao quero isto (I don't want this) could be useful!

We found that the portions in some restaurants were quite large!, (In Chez Lapin, my casserole was easily big enough for 2 people) so bear this in mind before tucking into the appetizer tray! and consider sharing your Mains

Favorite Dish: The bread was delicious, a couple of slices of white bread, and a couple of slices of bread with ham pieces- (Can't remember the name of this type of bread, but saw it for sale in the bakeries and market in Porto).

The black pudding dish was delicious, spicy and full of flavour. Plump juicy marinated olives, and the salad made a pleasant starter.

Chez Lapin: Atmospheric Porto restaurant

by suvanki Updated Apr 22, 2009

Chez Lapin, Porto

I'd read about this restaurant on VT, and although wasn't looking to eat here in particular, when we came across it accidentally, and looked inside, we decided to go in. It was pretty crowded!

This small downstairs restaurant (there is further seating upstairs)
    is crammed full of quirky objects, some antiques, cloth rabbits, witches, hanging from the ceiling or attached to the walls.

The wooden tables and chairs are quite close together, adding to the cosy atmosphere.

Our waiter was friendly and helpful, showing us the menu (which was displayed on a wooden chopping board ) and explaining the different dishes to us.

I chose beef with fruit (peaches) Joy chose beef with potatoes. (it didn't feel quite right to be ordering the rabbit dishes, when there were furry bunnies in the cage outside!!!)

While we were waiting for our meal, a tray appeared with a selection of bread rolls, a carrot dish, and something that we couldn't identify at first. Our waiter confirmed that it was black pudding- it was delicious! We found out later that this is the way in Porto- a tray of appetizers appears- you're not obliged to eat anything from the tray, but if you do, you'll be charged for each item (Please see my next tip)

Our sizzling casseroles appeared, and were delicious. The only problem was that there was far too much to eat. In hindsight, we could have shared one, and still have had plenty!

Needless to say, there was no room for pudding!

Favorite Dish: The appetizer tray (Entrada) had a variety of delicious tasting morsels (6 euros)

My Beef and Peach casserole came with onions garlic and potatoes, (11.98 euros) and was perfect for a cold March night

Joys' Lombo Assado (roasted tenderloin of Beef, also came casseroled with potatoes and onions (apparently potatoes accompany nearly every meal in Porto in one form or another ) (11.98 euros) also hit the mark!

1 beer (1.50 euro) 1 fanta (1.50 euro)
    Cover charge 2 euros

Total for 2 persons 34.96 euros

The portions in Porto are often huge!!! (Check out your neighbouring diners plates for an idea on portion sizes)
    1 portion is often enough for 2 people - so don't go mad with your starters!

Please see my next tip below re the Appetiser tray -

Chale Suisso: Cafe near the park, Foz

by suvanki Updated Feb 5, 2009

Chale Suisso, Foz Do Douro

This small cafe was a pleasant place to stop for a lunch time snack. Situated at the end of an attractive park.

Tables and chairs outside, and a few inside.

Selection of pastries, sandwiches and drinks.

We sat outside, enjoying the warm spring air, while we waited for our drinks and sandwich.

This appeared to be quite a busy spot for business men, groups of friends, and couples.

Favorite Dish: We shared a toasted sandwich (still quite full from breakfast), apparently this was known as a Lanche, which is a Northern Portuguese snack - sweetish bread stuffed with ham. (1.20 euro)

Well it was delicious (I could just eat one now thinking about it!)

Joy had a coffe, (1.40 euro) which she said was delicious, and I had a glass of lager- either Super Bock or Sagres. (1.50 euro)

tax 12% included.

• Beaches

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Uma velha tinha una gato!: Sausages!

by suvanki Updated Feb 5, 2009

Sausages - Praca da Ribeira

Worth visiting just for the name alone - 'Uma velha tinha una gato' translates as 'An old Lady has a cat'!!

We came across this place in Praca de Ribeira at lunch time, on our last day in Porto.

Tables and chairs are set out in the square in front of the unusual fountain and with views to the nearby river.

The restaurants are set out around the edge of the square.

When I ventured inside to use the toilet, I was surprised to find that it appeared to be set into a rock wall.

I should imagine there is a great atmosphere here at night time in summer.

Favorite Dish: The set tourist menu had a selection of sausage dishes. I chose a pork sausage, and Joy ordered a selection of grilled sausages (We divided each order between us, so we could try the selection) Both dishes came with fries, potatoes and a large salad with olives. It also included a drink and dessert.

I enjoyed my meal - lots of spicy and herby flavours and very filling.

I'm afraid that I can't remember how much it cost exactly, but I remember it was a reasonable price.

Normally, I tend to avoid 'tourist menus' but this had a good selection of local dishes, and I felt it was good value.

• Portuguese traditional food: Abadia

by Alamo Written Dec 25, 2007

We really liked this restaurant. A big bustling place on two floors it has the feel of homely family run place that gives you generous portions, attentive service and a nice buzz. I had the cod which despite my apprehensions was delicious.

We went there twice and weren't disappointed.

Favorite Dish: Salt cod