Portuguese traditional food, Porto

View from the restaurant
  • Portuguese traditional food
    Octopus
  • BlueLlama's Profile Photo

Mira Douro: Delicious calamari (but give the pizza a miss)

by BlueLlama Updated Aug 31, 2007

The Mira Douro is one of the first restaurants you will encounter on coming to the Ribeira area from the city centre - but it deserves to be visited for more than convenience alone. So long as you order well...

The restaurant serves the usual mix of seafood dishes, omelettes and salads as well as pizzas. The last are to be avoided - my mum chose a margarita which turned out to be a revolting confection of thick stodge topped with tasteless cheese and no tomato. It took a while for her to recover from this disastrous meal... I chose the calamari, which couldn't have been more different in terms of quality. The batter was delicious and the fish came with tasty fried rice, chips and salad, making it a bit more satisfying than calamari often is. Other seafood dishes looked equally appetising.

In common with all the Ribeira restaurants and cafes, and as its name suggests, Mira Douro has good views of the river and of Vila Nova da Gaia. Service is quick and friendly too. They just need to learn how to make a decent pizza or concentrate on what they do well.

Favorite Dish: Calamari - lovely batter, generous portion, good sides. Had the tip been based on the calamari alone, this restaurant would have been rated 4 or 5!

• BlueLlama's Profile Photo

A Tasquinha: Welcoming restaurant, quality food

by BlueLlama Written Aug 30, 2007

Well, I have to admit that I only tried the omelette, so I don't feel I can give a detailed run-down of the menu. But then again, it was an exceedingly good omelette...

We principally chose A Tasquinha because it was the only place open close to our hotel (Eurostar das Artes) that didn't look like a university canteen, but it turned out to be a great little restaurant. The service was very friendly and prompt and the restaurant was full of customers and atmosphere on an evening when everywhere seemed to be deserted. The style of A Tasquinha is rustic and cosy and both locals and fellow tourists looked to be equally at home.

The menu is Portuguese staples, omelettes and salads with a big selection of both ready-prepared icecreams and homemade cakes for afters. The lemon pie was very nice indeed.

Favorite Dish: Cheese omelette (of course) - came with both chips and fried rice, which seems to be a Porto thing. Not good if you're avoiding carbohydrates, but I wasn't complaining!

• tigerjapan's Profile Photo

O Assador Tipico: Best Portuguese Meal We Ate In Portugal

by tigerjapan Written Jan 6, 2007

Grilled meats

Great restaurant/churrascaria. We happened on this restaurant when we were walking to the wine bar; Solar do Vinho do Porto. We're so glad we decided to try it for dinner.

The portions are huge, so order wisely. Their capsicum (peppers) salad is great and the restaurant in huge and yet so popular that it fills up quickly. At the front they have a grill and butcher type section. All the meat and seafood you're going to order is displayed here. Everything is fresh. The meat it cut to order and from our table we could see all the butchering going on. I was amazing to watch your meat be chopped off a slab as ordered.

Favorite Dish: In all honesty we weren't overly impressed with the food in Portugal, but O Assador Tipico was our last dinner in Portugal and it was the best. The food is simple, but very good. It's well worth the effort.

They bring you a plate of little meat pasties, you pay for them if you eat them, but eat them - they are so darn good!

• btrz's Profile Photo

Portuguese traditional food: great location

by btrz Written Oct 16, 2006

eating sardines

Very well located out of the overcrowded Ribeira quay, but a couple a metres away. You can eat out in the terrace with a view of Douro River. Very kind staff would recomend even show you the fish pieces for you to order.

Favorite Dish: The grilled sardines were superb.

• evilprebil's Profile Photo

Portuguese traditional food: Abadia

by evilprebil Written Oct 14, 2006

Located on a little backstreet paralell to Rua Catarina, Abadia dishes up some of the best food we had in Portugal for an afordable price. The have simple traditional food in enormous portions. Don't be naiive like us and get the full portions. We were trying not to be cheap, but the full portion is most likely meant for two people to share. It is bright and can be noisy when both of its floors get filled up. There are also some nice tiles on the wall. Our waiter was also very accomodating and even though he was busy he was attentive.

Favorite Dish: We started off with some octopus in a green sauce which was very good. Then we ordered full portions (again, just get the half!). I had the fried bacalhau cakes with a red bean rice companion which were extremely tasty. I had intended on getting wild boar with chestnuts before i even got in there, but I saw the cod cakes and thought they looked good (they were!) Rob tried the tripe stew which had a light curry flavor. I was too full to taste is, but it smelled delicious and he loved it. Pait it off with a nice wine and you've got a great meal!

• MarioPortugal's Profile Photo

Nelson dos Leitões: A Sandwich of Roasted Suckling Pig

by MarioPortugal Updated Jul 21, 2006

Sandwich of Roasted Suckling Pig

Roasted Suckling Pig is praised by many Portuguese for being very, very tasty.

In Porto it's possible to have a sandwich of it at Nelson dos Leitões, a small restaurant that has being specializing on this unique type of food for 16 years now.

Each sandwich costs 4 Euros.

Nelson dos Leitões is located in the upper level of Mercado do Bolhão in Porto (Oporto). Open on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.

Click here to the read an interesting piece by Florence Fabricant on the roasted suckling pig that was published in the New York Times on December 25, 2005.

Article:This Little Piggy Is a Tasty Lure

Favorite Dish: Roasted Suckling Pig Sandwich

• MarioPortugal's Profile Photo

Gouveense: Gouveense - Posta Mirandesa at its best !!

by MarioPortugal Updated Jul 4, 2006

Gouveense is a small restaurant and also a take-away whose food turn out to be very popular. That's why it is always full every single day at lunch time.

The restaurant is what I may call as "simple". The area for clients is so small that only a maximum of 6 people may seat to use the only two tables available. However that's no issue for me since I generally use the bar area that can accommodate about 11 more people (making 17 maximum possible to be served at once at this restaurant).

Anyway, besides the hospitality of Mr José (owner), Ms Paula (staff) and Ms Conceição (Chef) what brings me to this tiny restaurant is the Posta Mirandesa served on Thursday only (but unfortunately not on all Thursdays, thus I usualy call to find out beforehand whether I will get this preferred treat on my chosen Thursday).

Mirandesa is a portuguese autochthonous cow found in the region around Miranda-do-Douro city. Its meat is flavor and produced limited.

It's not only the flavory meat that makes the dish so special. The sauce plays a big role here. I guess it's made using red wine, and fried green peppers, but this is just a guess since the formula for the Sauce is being keep secret and there's no use to ask how to make it !!! - I've already tried a few times to get the formula but with no success at all. The sauce is really great & the meat is wonderful....
    ... what a great entree.

Gouveense also sells traditional delicatessens from Gouveia such as cheeses, portuguese chourizo and also smoked serrano ham.

Favorite Dish: Posta Mirandesa

• pocketpiglet's Profile Photo

A Brasa: Churrasqueira A Brasa

by pocketpiglet Updated Jun 29, 2006

Natas do C��u - A Brasa

At first this restaurant looks like a take-away place: downstairs there is a bar and a grill. You need to go up the stairs for the dining area. We went to this place twice and it seemed the were the only foreigners dining there. The food was wonderful but the portions (even the half portions) are very very big so perhaps we could have just ordered one half portion and share for two people, such a shame to have to send delicious food back. Our desserts had beautiful names such as "Babas de Camelo" e "Natas do Céu", both were extra sweet! There is no separate tables for smokers and the tables are very close together, so if someone alight next to you, that's just bad luck. Our bill was 16 euros and we were two people dining main course + dessert and coffe and sharing a 1/2 jug of house white (vinho verde).

DOn Tonho: fine dining

by Audrey118 Written Mar 1, 2006

you enter from the bar, walk upstairs into a very nice huge dining hall. The toilet is also nice...it was cold - i need to wash my hands...and the lights turns on itself - fully automated.
    and there is a huge huge collection of celebrities dining here...

anyway, once seated you given wine list which OMG it is so extensive...best French chateaus even available!!! and then came huge spread of entrees. You only pay the plates you indulge. We decided to go for olives and also a plate of yummy mussels dressed with olive oil and garlic and !!!! chilie

my husband again requested rice... we had seafood rice with lots of delicious fish, mussels, prawns, calamari. the stock is so awesome the waiter gave me a spoon to help myself. another dish yummy is tender slow cooked duck layered with rice...awesome

dessert - i had pear poached in red wine - divine!!!!

Taverna dos B?bobos: homey food

by Audrey118 Written Mar 1, 2006

tomato rice and bacalau cutlets

There are many restaurants along the ribeira, with a nice view. But we chose this small restaurant, and apparently it is also the oldest restaurant. ...founded in 1876.

we had to carefully walk upstairs the tiny stairs, and it was super tiny upstairs like a little cove - we chose a seat by the window...you may feel a little claustrophobic uphere... once up forget going downstairs till past dinner. There was another diner sharing the cove... and they have already finished their meal - they were Brazilian and had found the place from a lifestyle magazine on where to eat in Portugal...

Theowner is the cook, the waiter the cashier!!! he has this awesome smile on his face.

No credit card - just cash - and he had to walk to neigbours to get us our change.

dinner started with cheese, and olives and bread. Not the best bread, and olives were salty and had garlic marinated. It was not as nice as Adega restaurant we went to previous night.
    My husband loves his rice...so arroz was requested.
    He has seafood, with soupy rice and i had salted cod cakes with tomato rice. Simple but really delicious. Dessert we shared a smooth and decadent crema catalan.

price is very affordable,

Adega & Presuntaria Transmontana II: Traditional Portugese Food

by Audrey118 Written Jan 24, 2006

pork with clams - such comfort food - best taste

The river divides Porto and Vila Nova de Gaia. The Porto side, Ribeira and on the other VN Gaia, has some nice restaurants. Because we were staying at the Gaia side, we decided to try out this charming restaurant. It was highly recommended on the internet, frommers and also the hotel reception.

The restaurant decor is a stone tavern with a bar filled with dozens of Jamon - cured hams hang from the ceiling. ANd there is an array of dessert in front as well.

Once seated, the waiter brings platters of cured ham, olive with garlic, sardine with oil and cured meats and cheeses, and crusty bread. Then we browsed the menu and ordered a traditional dish called Pork with clams.

Favorite Dish: Pork with clams dish is huge, it has slivers of tender pork, and chunks of tender potatoes, with lots of gravy made of smoked meats, and oddly lots of pickled vege together. Clams mount over it. The combination is awesome...with sprinkles of varied herbs, for sure there is coriander. we enjoyed the meal a lot, warm and comfortable food for the cool day.

dessert was lots of pastries, and egg type of custards, and also lots of local fruits.

• coarspire's Profile Photo

Portuguese traditional food: A place where not to go

by coarspire Updated Dec 16, 2005

I`m a tripe addicted so I decided to have a go in Porto, the so-called city of Tripeiros. Usually I never eat tripe in restaurants because they need a particular (and pretty long) procedure to wash them otherwise they smell a lot. In this place the tripes, I guesse they haven`t been washed AT ALL and they were smellin too much...I did a huge effort to eat them.

Favorite Dish: Just the bread was good.

• joebarcas's Profile Photo

Taverna Dos Bebobos (Jose's): Worth the trip!

by joebarcas Updated Nov 20, 2004

Val, Jose, Greg and Esterlita

Just a delight! The owner, Jose, was thrilled when we told him we discoverd him through VT. Good food and atmosphere. Located on the Duoro with great views across the river.
    Traditional seafood dishes (cod of course) as well as pork and beef choices. Don't miss it!

Favorite Dish: Grilled sausage for an appitizer, Seafood and rice for dinner, Port afterwards...it doesn't get any better!

• worldkiwi's Profile Photo

Restaurant Migalha.: Restaurant Migalha.

by worldkiwi Updated Oct 16, 2004

This is a wonderful authentic Portuguese restaurant in the heart of Porto. No one speaks English, the TV blares away and you can watch Portuguese soaps! The decor is simple and you can tell it's a good place to eat because all the clientele are locals! I was the only tourist. Value for money - delicious food (if there's tripe on the menu try it, it's a local specialty) and an atmosphere you will find absorbing!

Favorite Dish: Tripe - Porto Style!

• IneXisTenZ's Profile Photo

Lancelot: Ask the chief to make it...

by IneXisTenZ Written Jan 30, 2004

Well... one of my favourites...
    The food... amazing... A good restaurant for a dating or something more romantic...

Favorite Dish: About the menu.. i never look at it.. only ask the chief opinion ( Mr. João) and for sure everything will be perfect...

Instant Answers: Porto