Portuguese traditional food, Porto

Octopus

Chez Lapin: Atmospheric Porto restaurant

by suvanki Updated Apr 22, 2009

Chez Lapin, Porto

I'd read about this restaurant on VT, and although wasn't looking to eat here in particular, when we came across it accidentally, and looked inside, we decided to go in. It was pretty crowded!

This small downstairs restaurant (there is further seating upstairs)
    is crammed full of quirky objects, some antiques, cloth rabbits, witches, hanging from the ceiling or attached to the walls.

The wooden tables and chairs are quite close together, adding to the cosy atmosphere.

Our waiter was friendly and helpful, showing us the menu (which was displayed on a wooden chopping board ) and explaining the different dishes to us.

I chose beef with fruit (peaches) Joy chose beef with potatoes. (it didn't feel quite right to be ordering the rabbit dishes, when there were furry bunnies in the cage outside!!!)

While we were waiting for our meal, a tray appeared with a selection of bread rolls, a carrot dish, and something that we couldn't identify at first. Our waiter confirmed that it was black pudding- it was delicious! We found out later that this is the way in Porto- a tray of appetizers appears- you're not obliged to eat anything from the tray, but if you do, you'll be charged for each item (Please see my next tip)

Our sizzling casseroles appeared, and were delicious. The only problem was that there was far too much to eat. In hindsight, we could have shared one, and still have had plenty!

Needless to say, there was no room for pudding!

Favorite Dish: The appetizer tray (Entrada) had a variety of delicious tasting morsels (6 euros)

My Beef and Peach casserole came with onions garlic and potatoes, (11.98 euros) and was perfect for a cold March night

Joys' Lombo Assado (roasted tenderloin of Beef, also came casseroled with potatoes and onions (apparently potatoes accompany nearly every meal in Porto in one form or another ) (11.98 euros) also hit the mark!

1 beer (1.50 euro) 1 fanta (1.50 euro)
    Cover charge 2 euros

Total for 2 persons 34.96 euros

The portions in Porto are often huge!!! (Check out your neighbouring diners plates for an idea on portion sizes)
    1 portion is often enough for 2 people - so don't go mad with your starters!

Please see my next tip below re the Appetiser tray -

• pocketpiglet's Profile Photo

A Brasa: Churrasqueira A Brasa

by pocketpiglet Updated Jun 29, 2006

Natas do C��u - A Brasa

At first this restaurant looks like a take-away place: downstairs there is a bar and a grill. You need to go up the stairs for the dining area. We went to this place twice and it seemed the were the only foreigners dining there. The food was wonderful but the portions (even the half portions) are very very big so perhaps we could have just ordered one half portion and share for two people, such a shame to have to send delicious food back. Our desserts had beautiful names such as "Babas de Camelo" e "Natas do Céu", both were extra sweet! There is no separate tables for smokers and the tables are very close together, so if someone alight next to you, that's just bad luck. Our bill was 16 euros and we were two people dining main course + dessert and coffe and sharing a 1/2 jug of house white (vinho verde).

• tigerjapan's Profile Photo

O Assador Tipico: Best Portuguese Meal We Ate In Portugal

by tigerjapan Written Jan 6, 2007

Grilled meats

Great restaurant/churrascaria. We happened on this restaurant when we were walking to the wine bar; Solar do Vinho do Porto. We're so glad we decided to try it for dinner.

The portions are huge, so order wisely. Their capsicum (peppers) salad is great and the restaurant in huge and yet so popular that it fills up quickly. At the front they have a grill and butcher type section. All the meat and seafood you're going to order is displayed here. Everything is fresh. The meat it cut to order and from our table we could see all the butchering going on. I was amazing to watch your meat be chopped off a slab as ordered.

Favorite Dish: In all honesty we weren't overly impressed with the food in Portugal, but O Assador Tipico was our last dinner in Portugal and it was the best. The food is simple, but very good. It's well worth the effort.

They bring you a plate of little meat pasties, you pay for them if you eat them, but eat them - they are so darn good!

• MarioPortugal's Profile Photo

Gouveense: Gouveense - Posta Mirandesa at its best !!

by MarioPortugal Updated Jul 4, 2006

Gouveense is a small restaurant and also a take-away whose food turn out to be very popular. That's why it is always full every single day at lunch time.

The restaurant is what I may call as "simple". The area for clients is so small that only a maximum of 6 people may seat to use the only two tables available. However that's no issue for me since I generally use the bar area that can accommodate about 11 more people (making 17 maximum possible to be served at once at this restaurant).

Anyway, besides the hospitality of Mr José (owner), Ms Paula (staff) and Ms Conceição (Chef) what brings me to this tiny restaurant is the Posta Mirandesa served on Thursday only (but unfortunately not on all Thursdays, thus I usualy call to find out beforehand whether I will get this preferred treat on my chosen Thursday).

Mirandesa is a portuguese autochthonous cow found in the region around Miranda-do-Douro city. Its meat is flavor and produced limited.

It's not only the flavory meat that makes the dish so special. The sauce plays a big role here. I guess it's made using red wine, and fried green peppers, but this is just a guess since the formula for the Sauce is being keep secret and there's no use to ask how to make it !!! - I've already tried a few times to get the formula but with no success at all. The sauce is really great & the meat is wonderful....
    ... what a great entree.

Gouveense also sells traditional delicatessens from Gouveia such as cheeses, portuguese chourizo and also smoked serrano ham.

Favorite Dish: Posta Mirandesa

• evilprebil's Profile Photo

Portuguese traditional food: Abadia

by evilprebil Written Oct 14, 2006

Located on a little backstreet paralell to Rua Catarina, Abadia dishes up some of the best food we had in Portugal for an afordable price. The have simple traditional food in enormous portions. Don't be naiive like us and get the full portions. We were trying not to be cheap, but the full portion is most likely meant for two people to share. It is bright and can be noisy when both of its floors get filled up. There are also some nice tiles on the wall. Our waiter was also very accomodating and even though he was busy he was attentive.

Favorite Dish: We started off with some octopus in a green sauce which was very good. Then we ordered full portions (again, just get the half!). I had the fried bacalhau cakes with a red bean rice companion which were extremely tasty. I had intended on getting wild boar with chestnuts before i even got in there, but I saw the cod cakes and thought they looked good (they were!) Rob tried the tripe stew which had a light curry flavor. I was too full to taste is, but it smelled delicious and he loved it. Pait it off with a nice wine and you've got a great meal!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Postigo Da Ribeira.: Really nice food late in the evening.

by cachaseiro Written May 9, 2010

Postigo Da Ribeira.

The reason why i ended up in this place was that i arrived late to Porto and had problems finding a place that was still open for dinner.
    This was just before midnight.
    I was very happy when i ended up at Postigo Da Ribeira though as i had a very nice dinner there.
    The meat was tender and the service was excellent eventhough they had to deal with a very large group.
    The bill came to 15 euros and that included a strter, a main dish and a beer and i find that very resonable.
    The interior was very cosy in old fashioned portugese style that i liked.

Favorite Dish: I had a beef steak with mushrooms and that was just fantastic.

• Beer Tasting

• IneXisTenZ's Profile Photo

Lancelot: Ask the chief to make it...

by IneXisTenZ Written Jan 30, 2004

Well... one of my favourites...
    The food... amazing... A good restaurant for a dating or something more romantic...

Favorite Dish: About the menu.. i never look at it.. only ask the chief opinion ( Mr. João) and for sure everything will be perfect...

Presuntisco: Presuntisco - small & charming

by MarioPortugal Updated Apr 4, 2011

staff

Presuntisco open its doors in 2001 in this small place that should be about 600 years old. It specialized on the flavor typical Portuguese food to be served in small dishes. However four major entrees are generally available daily.

Caldo Verde, a traditional Portuguese kale soup, is a suggestion to start with. They even bake their own bread on the premises.
    All food is cooked by order only.

Delicatessens are many such as blood rice sausage (from Lamego, Portugal) and a alleira de caça, a sausage using only game meat (from Montalegre, Portugal). A really treat I should say. Additionally 40 presuntos (smoked serrano ham) are also available for order.

Options on cheeses are such a 3-year aged sheep, or a white goat, or a cow cheese from São Jorge Island, Azores, among a total of 20 different. All cheeses are portuguese.

Entrees:
    Arroz de Polvo (Rice with Octopus) - made from a 3 Kg octopus.
    Polvo assado no Forno (Octopus roasted in the oven) made of a 8 Kg octopus.
    Bacalhau do lombo assado no Forno (Cod Fish with crumb breads on top roasted in the oven)
    Vitela Barrosã (grilled Barrosã cow meat) Barrosã is an autochthonous portuguese cow whose meat is flavor and limited produced.

Presuntisco also offers 500 different wines !!!
    90% of the wines are from Douro or wouldn't this restaurant be in Oporto !?.
    5% are from Alentejo and 5% are Alvarinhos Vinho Verde.

It's a small restaurant that seats 30 people inside plus an additional 30 people outside.
    Chef Luis Miguel have been formerly at the Sheraton Porto Hotel, now Porto Palace Hotel.
    All major credit cards are accepted.

• joebarcas's Profile Photo

Taverna Dos Bebobos (Jose's): Worth the trip!

by joebarcas Updated Nov 20, 2004

Val, Jose, Greg and Esterlita

Just a delight! The owner, Jose, was thrilled when we told him we discoverd him through VT. Good food and atmosphere. Located on the Duoro with great views across the river.
    Traditional seafood dishes (cod of course) as well as pork and beef choices. Don't miss it!

Favorite Dish: Grilled sausage for an appitizer, Seafood and rice for dinner, Port afterwards...it doesn't get any better!

• IneXisTenZ's Profile Photo

Tromba Rija: Eat all you can!

by IneXisTenZ Written Jan 30, 2004

Amazing!!
    For 25 Euros you can eat and drink all you want.. Usually for that kind of pricesomething is wrong, but in this restaurant the food is excellent.. All food is traditional portuguese and well made... The drinks... Champagne, Sangria portuguese wine, natural juices etc.. Desserts very tasty!! And to finish a big plate with tropical fruits, oporto wine and nuts...
    A great experience only for 25 euros.. That's one of the ,most known Portuguese restaurants..

Favorite Dish: Everything!!!!!!

• jorgec25's Profile Photo

Capa Negra II: The Francesinhas

by jorgec25 Written Aug 12, 2009

Francesinha with chips

I had to try the famous francesinha, and everybody told me that the place to do it is the capa negra restaurant. I went to capa negra II, near the Baovista roundabout, and right down the street of the Fenix Hotel.

The place is big, but it's always packed. The waiting time at the tables was about one hour, and we went there at 22h.

But if you're willing to eat at the counter, you can get a place in no time.

Favorite Dish: I only tasted the francesinha, buit it was even better than expected. Really tasty.
    If you to have a pint of lager to go along with the francesinha, just ask for a "Tulipa". If you are really, really thirsty, you can order a "Girafa".

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Portugese Restaurants: Appetizers - a Warning!

by suvanki Updated May 14, 2009

Appetizers, Chez Lapin, Porto

Our first meal in Porto was at Chez Lapin. (Please see my previous tip) After ordering our meal, a tray arrived with a selection of breads, olives and a couple of small bowls containing a dressed salad and a black pudding dish.

The waiter had disappeared before we could ask why we'd been given this food.

We'd spotted similar trays on other tables, and as we were hungry, we tucked in!

Apparently, this is common practice in Portugal.

Each item eaten is counted, then you are charged for what you eat. It's not a Free gift from the Restaurant!!

Now we didn't mind, as the food was delicious, but on our second night out (at a different place), the selection wasn't as nice, but we still hadn't realised that you get charged for what you eat.(Anything you leave isn't charged for) I didn't find out, until I read about this on my return home. (I'd not done my usual research, or bought a guide book)

The phrase Nao quero isto (I don't want this) could be useful!

We found that the portions in some restaurants were quite large!, (In Chez Lapin, my casserole was easily big enough for 2 people) so bear this in mind before tucking into the appetizer tray! and consider sharing your Mains

Favorite Dish: The bread was delicious, a couple of slices of white bread, and a couple of slices of bread with ham pieces- (Can't remember the name of this type of bread, but saw it for sale in the bakeries and market in Porto).

The black pudding dish was delicious, spicy and full of flavour. Plump juicy marinated olives, and the salad made a pleasant starter.

Chale Suisso: Cafe near the park, Foz

by suvanki Updated Feb 5, 2009

Chale Suisso, Foz Do Douro

This small cafe was a pleasant place to stop for a lunch time snack. Situated at the end of an attractive park.

Tables and chairs outside, and a few inside.

Selection of pastries, sandwiches and drinks.

We sat outside, enjoying the warm spring air, while we waited for our drinks and sandwich.

This appeared to be quite a busy spot for business men, groups of friends, and couples.

Favorite Dish: We shared a toasted sandwich (still quite full from breakfast), apparently this was known as a Lanche, which is a Northern Portuguese snack - sweetish bread stuffed with ham. (1.20 euro)

Well it was delicious (I could just eat one now thinking about it!)

Joy had a coffe, (1.40 euro) which she said was delicious, and I had a glass of lager- either Super Bock or Sagres. (1.50 euro)

tax 12% included.

• Beaches

• ncoutroulis's Profile Photo

Taverna dos Bêbobos: Great restaurant on the river

by ncoutroulis Written Aug 27, 2003

taverna bebobos

This place was fantastic, and so was the owner, "José". We liked it so much we went back to nights in a row, and José personally made my favorite "pulpo" dish, ordered our wine, and then would not let us pay for anything. (but that's not why it's so good) Everything was so fresh, and the atmosphere is very romantic, set in an old warehouse overlooking the Douro River...How can you go wrong.

Nelson dos Leitões: A Sandwich of Roasted Suckling Pig

by MarioPortugal Updated Jul 21, 2006

Sandwich of Roasted Suckling Pig

Roasted Suckling Pig is praised by many Portuguese for being very, very tasty.

In Porto it's possible to have a sandwich of it at Nelson dos Leitões, a small restaurant that has being specializing on this unique type of food for 16 years now.

Each sandwich costs 4 Euros.

Nelson dos Leitões is located in the upper level of Mercado do Bolhão in Porto (Oporto). Open on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.

Click here to the read an interesting piece by Florence Fabricant on the roasted suckling pig that was published in the New York Times on December 25, 2005.

Article:This Little Piggy Is a Tasty Lure