Fun things to do in Porto

• Things to Do
  • Casa da Musica
  • Casa da Musica

Most Viewed Things to Do in Porto

• AnnS's Profile Photo

Monument to the Heroes of the Peninsular War

by AnnS Updated Apr 4, 2011

While riding on the bus to and from my hotel, I kept seeing an impressive monument and decided one day to walk and investigate further. It was worth the effort because it was even more impressive up close.

It turned out to be the Monument to the Heroes of the Peninsular War, commemorating the Peninsular War of 1808 to 1814 when the Portuguese, Spaniards and English joined forces against Napoleon's army.

Construction of the monument started in 1909 but the original sculptor (Alves de Sousa) died before it was finished and it had to be completed by others (Henrique Moreira and Sousa Caldas). It was finally inaugurated in 1951.

At the top of the tall column is a lion, representing the Portuguese, dominating an eagle - Napoleon's empire. Further down the column are carvings of scenes of the war and at the base, more figures of warring soldiers, carved in granite.

The Monument is in the middle of gardens and it's a peaceful place to take a break from the city.

Monument to the Heroes of the Peninsular War Monument to the Heroes of the Peninsular War Monument to the Heroes of the Peninsular War Monument to the Heroes of the Peninsular War

• agarcia's Profile Photo

Stock Market had never been that decadent

by agarcia Updated Apr 4, 2011

One thing could be said about Porto's Bolsa (stock Market)... it accomplish the ultimate goal with which it was designed: impress its visitors. And if the external view of the building does not impress you enough, you should take the guided tour (five euros very well expended) that will lead you to the Arabic Hall, a fatuous and luxury copy of Granada's Alhambra. Just for that, the visit is totally worthwhile.

Palace hall
    • Museum Visits
    • Castles and Palaces

Port Boats on the River

by Roadquill Updated Jan 31, 2011

On the Gaia side of the river there are a number of restored or recreated boats representing the boats that use to carry the barrels of port down from the vineyards, to the port houses in Gaia. Almost every tasting room has a short video showing the process of making port including the pre dam, wild river escapades required to bring the barrels of port down the rapids.

St Francis Monument Church

by Roadquill Updated Jan 30, 2011

The church and monastery were started in the early 1200's, but not completed until 1410 in its Gothic form. It is considered to contain some of the finest examples of gilded caring wood in Portugal. The large alterpiece represents the Tree of Jesse and is from around 1718. The detailed carvings are simply amazing. There is also a museum and crypt.

• ELear's Profile Photo

A hop-on hop-off Porto bus tour

by ELear Updated Apr 29, 2010

I did this on impulse – I’d just arrived, I happened to see their red bus, and I hadn’t got anything else to do. Anyway, it was great. You see everything that a tourist would want to see, plus several things that you probably wouldn’t see otherwise because they’re too far out or you can’t be bothered, without making any effort. You just sit there and listen to the commentary or take pictures or wave regally at people on the pavement. Admittedly, you don’t see much of any one thing, but on the other hand you don’t have time to get bored with any other thing either, and if you want to look at something in more detail, such as Lello’s Bookshop (which is amazing), you can go back the next day (your ticket is valid for two days), hop off, see it, then hop onto the next bus to come along. The round tour lasts about two hours if you just stay on, it goes right out as far as the Castelo do Queijo, then back along the Atlantic coast, giving you stunning views of breakers rolling in from America. The ticket also includes a river cruise under all (or most of) the bridges, including the Dom Luis I one, which lasts for about three quarters of an hour.

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo

Livraria Lello (Lello Bookshop)

by Toshioohsako Updated Nov 15, 2009

Lello Bookshop is the most elegant and beautiful book shop I have ever see. It's elegant, beautiful and intricate wooden panels and columns strike the eyes of visitors. There is an amazing stairway and one feels like visiting a castle. It was created by Xavier Esteves in 1906. You should not miss this bookshop!

Walk around Historical Porto

by Toshioohsako Written Nov 15, 2009

Its an ups and down stone streets but its a beautiful old Porto. Porto is where old and rusty things look nice. It is maybe because the design of the town has been conserved very carefully and naturally conserved reflecting the unique historical without architect heritages and colors.

Porto Cruz

by Toshioohsako Written Nov 15, 2009

Take a sight-seeing ferry from Ribiera port. You can see the beautiful historical Porto, magnificent bridges, and the canal which opens to the Atlantic. You will enjoy the sunset also if the weather permits and you take the ferry timely.

Tram-museum

by Turska Written Sep 5, 2009

We didn´t visit so many museums in Porto as we use to do at all places.Only"real museum" was this.It was smaller than we thought,but nice anyway.Many different kind of trams,and some other machines,used to upkeep the tramways.
    There´s also a tram witch was dragged by horses.
    Little museumshop also.
    Strange was,that there was lots of trams at kind of huge open carage,but when we tried to go and see them,they said it´s not allowed.Can´t understand why.

• Museum Visits

Bus tours

by Turska Written Sep 5, 2009

There are at least three companys having bus tours.I thinki we had the red tour,but my husband says it was the yellow one :D
    Anyway-we took that one,which had longer routes,price was allmost the same.
    It was quite chilly day and cold wind.I was freezing updeck,but wanted to stay there anyway!We ended our tour to Vila Nova da Gaia,and visited some port-wine caves,so it took cold feeling away ;)
    It came as a surprice to us,that when we bought a 24hour ticket-it wasn´t for 24 hours!!!It made us little angry.Don´t understand why they call it 24hour ticket then?I think we wouldn´t even bought it that day,around 15 o´clock,if we would have known!We went to stop at morning,and thought to take another tour (it had three routes) and found out that the ticket wasn´t valid anymore.I should be called day-ticket!
    This was first time ever for us to take a trip like this!We usually rather walk,but all museums were closed at monday,and we didn´t know what to do.

Centro Português de Fotografia

by Turska Written Jul 19, 2009

If you love cameras,and taking photos-and watching photos -don´t miss this place!! For me it was most interesting "museum" I´ve been in long time.I didn´t get enough of watching the old cameras.I would have been ther for ages,if I wouldn´t know that my husband had allready seen enough..He likes museums too,but he doesn´t love cameras like I do.I went there saying"my grandfather had like this one","my father had this one","this was my first own camera!!"(witch I had when I was about 5 years old..)
    There was also photo-exhibitions.One was little wired,but most were interesting,also very old photos.
    The house itself has been a prison from 1961 to 1974 and a courthouse,officer of justice and Portos military governor and so on.
    While walking out from last stairways,look up.Ceiling-window is beautyful.

mini-cameras the building itself

Regatta of Rabello-boats

by Turska Written Jul 19, 2009

If you are at town at the end of June,and you like old ships sailing,check out if there is rabello-regatta at the moment.
    We didn´t know anything about that,but when we were in Calem port-wine cave they told us,that it will happen that day,so we went to look.
    Lots of people came to see it.It was not so interesting to us,but since we allready were at area,it was worth waiting a while.
    I didn´t find any info of this at internet,but I guess it´s allway at the end of the month in June.

Visiting the Port Houses

by Roadquill Written Jun 15, 2009

Across the bridge from the Ribeira district are the port houses. The more well known are on the river front, but there are excellent part tasting to be had walking back a few streets. We tasted at several and were ported out after 4-5 tastings. It seems every port house wants to tell you how port is made. And, surprise, the story is the same. The port houses off the main drag did not charge a tasting fee. The Sandeman house was too busy to allow even a tasting. The little museum is good, we took some corny pictures and left.

Casks of Port
    • Wine Tasting

• cubsur's Profile Photo

Castelo de Santa Maria da Feria

by cubsur Written May 27, 2009

The castle has a website http://www.castelodafeira.com/ which is only in Portuguese, but confirms that the castle is open top the public except closed on Mondays and at lunchtimes. Admission is 3 Euros for adults, 1,50 for children and pensioners.

It is accessible by train from Porto and you will enjoy the second section of the journey on the narrow gauge 'Linha da Vouga' which winds its way up from Espinho into the hills. The timetable for that line is here http://www.cp.pt/StaticFiles/Imagens/PDF/Passageiros/horarios/regionais_2007/aveiro_espinho.pdf

The nearest stop for Santa Maria da Feria is called Sanfins, about 500m away.

There are frequent local electric trains between Porto and Espinho (http://www.cp.pt/StaticFiles/Imagens/PDF/Passageiros/horarios/urbanos_porto_2007/aveiro_linha.pdf) but note that the Linha da Vouga station in Espinho is about 300 metres from the main station.

The Transdev bus company (www.transdev.pt)runs fast buses between Porto's Batalha bus terminal and Santa Maria da Feria at these times:

0800 except Sundays and holidays; 0900am weekdays, 1000am daily, 11am weekdays, 1130 on schooldays only, 1200 Saturdays, Sundays and holidays and later, journey takes 35 - 40 minutes. The return bus times are very complicated so I advise collecting the timetables from the website at http://www.transdev.pt/bdtweb/stop.php?stop=10581

I hope that helps and enjoy your trip.

• Castles and Palaces

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Rua Formosa

by suvanki Updated May 4, 2009

This street is quite interesting as it has a couple of authentic antiquated mercearias (grocery shops), and has one of the entrances to the Mercado do Bolhao, the 19th century market hall (see my previous tip for more info)

The old shops are quite attractively decorated, with their tiled fronts and imaginatively displayed food.

I visited this shop, and could have spent a fortune on the many sausages, cheeses, oils and tinned goods that were on display. Hams and Bacalhau (salt cod) were hanging from the ceiling and walls. The smell of all the spicy sausages was mouth watering.

I managed to limit myself to just a small bottle of piri- piri sauce, as It was only morning, and I had a full days sightseeing to cram in.
    Hopefully I'll return to Porto one day, and if so I'll be heading here with a large shopping basket!

Opposite this shop is an old bakers (see 2nd photo) again, somewhere where I could have spent a small fortune. Freshly baked breads, pastries and cakes are all temptingly displayed, and judging by the number of locals shopping here, it's a very popular place.

Aperola Do Bolhao, Porto Old Bakers shop, Rua Formera, Porto Market Stall , Mercado Do Bolhao Glass panel, Mercado Do Bolhao, Porto
    • Women's Travel

Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews
Tiara Park Atlantic Porto
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Porto

Comments

Porto Things to Do

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Porto locals.
Map of Porto