Know about this?
Pikeys around the Se (cathedral)
Had a fine weekend in Porto. We were squeezing so much into the couple of days we were there, we never really visited the cathedral.
So, walking back from Ribeira (riverside) late one evening, I thought we should have a look around the 'old town' and walk up to the Se.
The main streets were all very quiet as we followed the signs up into a narrow side alley. On turning the corner - wooooah! The place was oozing -yeah, seething- with the dirtiest-looking gaggle of urchins I've ever seen. To say it was slum-like was an understatement. My girlfriend is from Brazil and instantly said 'Oh no, this is a farvela (slum)'. After taking this photo, we swiftly departed as a stereotype skaggo seemed to be making a bee-line towards this camera-wielding tourist.
Nothing bad happened, just the sight was a bit shocking. Almost like something out of Dickens; kids with dirty faces lining the alley walls, not playing or anything, just looking at you. Creepy.
- Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
- Women's Travel
- Family Travel
This sign was placed in a road which is currently having maintainance. Of course everyone can understand there's a 20 limit speed, however, what the common portuguese driver sees is a ZO limit speed... so nobody would respect it and they even have the reason because legally that is not a 20...
There was three more signs like this one along the same road!
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
Porto Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Gatlinburg Hotels
- West Seattle Hotels
- Runaway Bay Hotels
- Cebu City
- Palma de Mallorca
- Palm Springs Hotels
- Goa Warnings and Dangers
- Bangkok Warnings and Dangers
- New Orleans Warnings and Dangers
- Tijuana Warnings and Dangers
- Chicago Warnings and Dangers
- Montego Bay Warnings and Dangers
- Areas to Avoid
- The Bahamas Warnings and Dangers
- Prague Warnings and Dangers
- Port Douglas Warnings and Dangers
- Kazakhstan Warnings and Dangers
- Addis Ababa Warnings and Dangers