Vila Nova de Gaia Restaurants

• solopes's Profile Photo

Cidade: Excellent

by solopes Updated Mar 23, 2014

Gaia - Portugal

In my first lunch in Gaia someone recommended us this restaurant, a little "out of the beaten path" but close to the place where I needed to go.

It was a very good suggestion:

The restaurant is large, with a modern but discreet decoration, combining well space with intimacy, without the noise, usual in the big Portuguese restaurants.

The staff was very nice and welcoming, with extreme sympathy and efficiency.

The food had no design (which uses to double the prices), but everything was delicious and well served, at a very popular price.

Excellent lunch!

Favorite Dish: They call it "Naco de Vitela", it is often called "Posta Mirandesa", but, no matter the name, it is a high and very tender stake, with a delicious sauce and well balanced side vegetables.

The suggestion was "Bacalhau"! Well, next time it will be Bacalhau. Because, I will try to have a next time...

Yes, there has been "a next time" and Bacalhau was the choice. Everything was perfect again. Delicious lunch with nice presentation, in a very kind ambiance, at a good price.

Let's see what happens in the third visit.

Pizza Hut: When we were in huge hunger

by Turska Written Sep 6, 2009

We have Pizza hut at Finland also,but when we saw these pizzas with cheese"-fingers" around the bottom,we wanted to have one-those are not sold in Finland.We went there in one night,when we had eaten nothing whole day,and walked more than in any other day-from morning until 22 o´clock! (10 p.m.)
    The pizza was huge,and we didn´t eat all even if with that hunger.And the cheese-things were not so good as they looked.In add they only spoke about cheese(at least in English menu) but it also had ham in also.Sorry locals,but we don´t like Portugese ham,it has so much more fat in it than we are used to have.So we couldn´t eat so much those cheese-"fingers"either.We just laught,that thank God-they aren´t so good-no need to worry whyt they aren´t served at Finnish Huts. ;) I´m sure they would have been better with only cheese.

Favorite Dish: Normal pan pizza.One day we ate here small pan pizza shared for two (just because needed something to eat between some portwine-places..) and there was add about chokolatemousse for 1,50e! We took it,and it was good for that price!

Pasta Caffe Ristorante Italiana: Good pasta,good service

by Turska Written Sep 6, 2009

They had these at Porto side,also at Lisbon and in other cities,but even if so,it was very good.They had good food,good service ( I asked some cahnges at my chicken-pasta,and it was no problem!) and they served wine at 0,375 L bottles,witch was nice also.At first time we even got our wine at ice-bowl!
    Desserts were little small,but good also.And food was very cheap!Two pasta,garlicbreadsmwine and desserts were 26e!

Favorite Dish: Chicken and lemon pasta.My husband loved their lasagne.

Real Indian: Good Indian

by Turska Written Sep 6, 2009

We love Indian,so we went here,when we saw it.The view from roof terrace was beautyful!To bad,it was quite cold,and I allmost went back in.
    My husband had very good food at both times,I had little troubles.At first time,it didn´t even cross my mind,that tandoor-foods are without a sauce!Never so in Finnish Indian restaurants.And I was little surpriced about non hot spices.But chicken was othervice very good-didn´t just taste like I´m used to have at Indian restaurants.Luckily my husband had so much sauce,he could give me some also.
    Next time we went,I knew that I can´t take tandoor,even if I usually allways do back home.At menu they had writing:All sauces are served mild,medium or hot.I asked about one plate,if there is much oninons(I don´t like if there is plenty)and said I dislike onions,and weither said:No,only some and very little pieces.I said that I will take it,and want it hot.He said it´s not possible (!?why written on the menu then?).He said:take this one instead,and showed me chicken vindaloo or something.I took it,and about 2/3 of the serving was onions!I´m not lieing!And I had just said,that I don´t like onions,if there´s more than only as a spice(at home I never use onions,only dried onionflakes).So,I didn´t even get enough to eat.My husband gave some of his food to me-should have taken same as him.

Favorite Dish: Tandoor-chicken was very good,but not very spicy,and quite dry without sauce.My husbands chicken with almonds was good-but it wasn´t so spicy either.Even if he asked it very hot.The meat was very good-we just were waiting for hot and spicy like at Swaght at Tampere,Finland.
    The cheese and garlic naan was so good,that I could have aten only it! :D

Ar de Rio: Thanks to VT

by Turska Written Sep 5, 2009

I found this restaurant tipped in VT,so we went in.I think we might not got in without that tip,because it didn´t look like our kind of place.But even thought it looked much too "trendy" it had good food.
    Little disapointment about not having own beer,when it had "Rebuplica de Cerveja" or something like that sign outside.
    But food was good.Place was so popular,that we needed to wait for the table.Too bad that we didn´t get table near the window.Didn´t want to go so early.

Favorite Dish: Some kind of steak of the house.Allthough we didn´t figure out,why Portugese are so found of having kind of chips with the steaks.They are so dry,and hard to get to the fork.It felt like a cheap grill-thing for us,but they were served at many"better" places.We´d rather have anything else,fries even!
    Desert was also god.
    Many people had that francesinhas.Looked terribel-and sounded too,when we heard what it is...

• Redang's Profile Photo

Ar de Rio: Overlooking Porto and Ponte D. Luis I

by Redang Updated Oct 24, 2007

Ar de Rio Restaurant (Vila Nova de Gaia, Portugal)

Vila Nova de Gaia is along the south bank of the Douro River, just in front of Porto itself, and there are a lot of bars and restaurants. Among them, Ar de Rio offers an excellent food. One of the specialties is Francesinhas. Don't ask what this dish is made of, just try it, you won't regret.

Apart from the food, the restaurant offers an excellent view of Porto as you can see from the other pic, taken by day, obviously.

- Fax: (+351) 22 607 83 89

PS: If you still do want to know the recipe of Francesinha, go to my Porto page-Restaurants-Francesinha: Typical dish.

• MarioPortugal's Profile Photo

ar de rio: Eating by the Douro River

by MarioPortugal Written Jul 2, 2006

Ar de Rio (Air of the River, in english) is one of those new restaurants located by the river in Vila Nova de Gaia. Right at the front of the Port warehouses, this restaurant is conveniently located near by the lodges.
    More Ar de Rio's pictures are available on their website.

Farggi: Very good ice-cream

by Turska Written Sep 6, 2009

Actually this wasn´t local,as we thought,but anyway-the ice-cream was VERY good!White chokolate ice-cream had chocolate-pieces on it.

Favorite Dish: White chokolate ice cream.

Instant Answers: Vila Nova de Gaia

Comments

Vila Nova de Gaia Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Vila Nova de Gaia restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Vila Nova de Gaia sightseeing.

View all Vila Nova de Gaia hotels