Madeira Island Warnings and Dangers

One of the easy levadas of Madeira.
    by cachaseiro

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Madeira Island

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo

Taxi

by Toshioohsako Updated Apr 4, 2008

As one member of VT pointed out previously, taxi is a tricky thing. Taxi drivers often ask for a fixed price - for example, a driver asked me for 80 € for going to the Botanic Garden. The Garden is a little far and high up in the mountain and the taxi driver told me that he would wait for me there for an hour and takes me back to my hotel. I said no because I could take a cable car from the town which costs 12 € (one way). If I went by the taxi, it cost me 56 € more. Try to walk as much as you can and when you must to take a taxi, don't agree with a fixed two-way price. Anyway , you don't have much time if your taxi driver waits for you for one hour. First, say clearly and loudly to the driver that you want one way and therefore he/she has to use taxi meter!

• quartinb's Profile Photo

camara de lobos

by quartinb Updated Nov 14, 2005

thou' a place blessed by sir winston churchill and bathed by a wonderfull bay, it is a place known in portugal because of several problems envolving, like, extreme poverty and for being a very unfriendly people.
    i tasted it.
    a very uncaracteristic episode,impossible to have in any other part of the island.
    if yu go there just ignore if a rough person crosses by, and yu'll be fine.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Levada walking can be dangorous.

by cachaseiro Written Mar 25, 2012

One of the easy levadas of Madeira.

Hiking along the lavadas is one of the most famous things to do on Madeira island and also one of the nicest things to do.
    But people should be ware that some of them can be very hard to walk and quite dangorous.
    They can be very steep and narrow with drops of several hundred meters.
    Remember that these trails were build to transport water and not to transport tourists, so they are not always as wide as you would want them to be.
    If you are scared of hights then make sure to do your research before taking a levada walk.
    I personally love levada walking and would certainly recommend other people to do it too, but be a little careful.
    All the different levadas have graduations depending on how hard they are to walk and try and set out with one of the easy levadas and then move from there.

• Seniors

• sunchasers's Profile Photo

Camara da Lobos

by sunchasers Updated Aug 26, 2006

Though guidebooks will suggest going here, we'd advise against it. It's a pretty town from afar but as soon as you descent into the town, you get swarmed by drunken, billigerent fishermen flinging beer bottles against the pavement. When we tried parking in the public lot (with a meter) we were immediately 'helped' by a local to park. As soon as we got out of the car, the boy acted as he were the parking attendant and said it was 2 EUR. We were like, 'ok fine whatever, where is a pizza place?'. He told us to go up a hill to a restaurant - churchill's, which was 1. over-priced and touristy and 2. had no pizza. The boy also took more than 2 EUR because he demanded a tip. We didn't feel like getting into a heated argument with him and the rest of the locals so we 'donated' the money and left Camara da Lobos ASAP.

Bottom line: avoid this town!

• Don12's Profile Photo

A Not So Nice Development

by Don12 Written Apr 9, 2007

It is regretful that I need to write this tip for this beautiful island and it's warm and friendly people.

However, a factor that we were made aware of by our HPB Reception staff at the site from day 1 was an incident that had occurred in the previous week near our HPB holiday complex on Cabo Girao.

Some residents staying in our holiday apartments had been held up and robbed whilst walking a local Levada walk. HPB said in a printed warning that this was an unusual development and investigations were being made. However, their advice was for only groups of 6 or more people to walk locally for safety in numbers.

I'm afraid that immediately put us off the notion of doing any local walks.

Sadly regrettable...but it happens

• Rita.E's Profile Photo

Island drivers

by Rita.E Written Dec 22, 2004

Even though I'm portuguese I admit that Portuguese drivers are sometimes very dangerous and unconsiderate.

Madeira is part of Portugal so you have to be very carefull. It's not unusual to hear someone honk approaching a sharp curve or have them overtake you in a daredevil manoeuvre.

So drive safe and be very carefull.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

The International Airport, Funchall or Santa Cruz?

by Jerelis Written Jul 18, 2006

Plane arriving at Madeira.

For many years the sea was the only possible way to reach islands. Madeira was no exception and to get here was, therefore, a privilege. From here people whether emigrated or went on a cruise, since for various shipping companies Madeira was a required passing through for the beauty and exoticness of the archipelago.

But considering the technological evolution, still bearing in mind the natural limitations of that time, the island has entered an era to built an international airport.

The weird thing is that on our ticket it was mentioned that we would fly to Funchal International Airport. When we arrived and we went outside the building we saw a huge sign on the building "Funchal International Airport". Therefore we were unpleasantly surprised when we wanted to drive with our car from Funchal to Santa Cruz. We were not able to find a sign wit Santa Cruz on it. Why? Because the airport lies in Santa Cruz and not the capital Funchal!

• Cruise

• chrisdScotland's Profile Photo

A ledge too far!

by chrisdScotland Written Oct 24, 2008

There are a few different Lavada walks which start from Ribeiro Frio. The one we took was in 2 parts. The first part, to the view point known as Miradouro dos Balcoes, is all we completed due to the forbidding look of the path ahead. We walked less than 100m along the ledge running round the cliff-side before thinking better of it! Maybe it was easy going the rest of the way, this we will never know. Just didn't want to fall 'off' the beaten track!

• Sininen's Profile Photo

Missing luggage

by Sininen Updated Jan 14, 2006

We had been told that the luggage would be there in a half an hour and as we stood in the balcony we saw a bus come and a young man began to lift luggage from it. We rushed down and when we reached it we immediately saw that my friend's luggage was there and mine was missing. The bus was leaving and we ran and shouted after it and finally managed to catch the driver’s attention. He spoke very little of English and our Portuguese was even worse but we made him understand that my luggage was missing. He went to back of the car and showed me that although there was a lot of luggage there mine wasn’t. I asked what I should do and he shrugged his shoulders and left. Great! My friend’s nightmare had become true and I was without my luggage. We went back to our room to think what we would do the next. We hadn’t been there for more than 10 minutes when the phone rang. I answered and the girl from the reception said: Here’s a man, please come down. Her English made me smile and I thought ‘do I look like I am in a need of a man?!’ Anyway down I went and there was the luggage man and my backbag was on the table. He asked if it was mine and I said it was. He looked embarrassed but I just gave him a big smile and said thank you and he looked very relieved and left. Why make a scene out of nothing? I had my luggage so no harm was done and I had some extra spice to the holiday as for awhile I didn’t know if I would see my luggage again.

• Adventure Travel
    • Photography

• sailornappo's Profile Photo

Did I say...STEEP ?

by sailornappo Written Apr 18, 2005

Incline

Many of the roads can be very tiring to walk on, so dont undertake a stressful climb - up OR down if your "Breathing apparatus" is in need of some tune-up. Distance from point "A" to point "B" may be short as the crow flies, but could be considerable longer due to the winding road.

• Seniors

• Be aware of ticks

by feralnerd Written May 31, 2009

There are relatively few things in the Madeiran countryside that could ruin your vacation, but don't let that make you too careless. The common European blood-sucking tick is also present in Madeira and while relatively few ticks carry the Lyme disease, you are still at risk if you get bitten.

If you go hiking especially outside the main hiking routes, carry a tick remover and check for any ticks when you return home. If you get a suspicious red ring on your skin afterwards, seek medical assistance immediately.

However, the tick is probably the most dangerous animal species on the island, and the risk is small so don't it put you off.

• AnaMargarida's Profile Photo

Pickpockets

by AnaMargarida Written May 20, 2005

"Madeira has very little crime and the worst that is likely to happen to you is a sunburn or a hangover. Violence against tourists is very, very unusual. Common sense at all times should spare you any grief."

• sailornappo's Profile Photo

A pretty safe place to be !

by sailornappo Written Apr 17, 2005

We never had ANY safety concerns during the 10 days. It is always wise to carry valuables not just in your back-pocket for obvious reasons, but this is much less of a worry here than anywhere on the mainland, no matter which country.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Gecko - A danger? Perhaps only a warning.

by Jerelis Updated Aug 24, 2005

A Gecko in the streets of Funchal.

A Gecko is about 10 to 15 cm long, with large heads, big eyes with elliptical pupils and thin toes. They have thick tails that narrow to a point and, like their bodies and heads, are slightly flattened from top to bottom. Most of their scales are small and granular.

Don't be afraid of them, because the primarily eat insects, fruit, spiders, snails, small lizards, birds and bird eggs.

You'll find them in hot and dried out areas like here at Madeira!

• Cruise
    • Eco-Tourism

Do drink enough!!!

by Jerelis Written Jul 20, 2006

You really need it ...

For years, we have all been told of the importance of water. The general guideline has been to drink 2 litre of water each day. For a person who is not living an active lifestyle this may be enough, but if you are physically active, you need more water than that. That is especially true if you are hiking in the Grand Canyon due to the fact the average temperature is much higher than other areas and the landscape goes up and down.

Water is essential for everyone, especially if you are hiking. Water helps almost every part of the human body function properly. Our bodies are almost two-thirds water, and proper hydration is essential to keep your body functioning properly during the hike. Some of the things water does in the body are:
    * The brain is 75% water; even moderate dehydration can cause headaches and dizziness;
    * Water regulates body temperature, which is especially important here in the area where the temperatures can be so brutal;
    * Water carries nutrients and oxygen to all cells in the body
    * Blood is 92% water;
    * Water protects and cushions vital organs;
    ·* Water converts food into energy (which is something you will need on a 3 to 4 hour hike…);
    * Muscles are 75% water, and you will use many muscles on a trail as you climb above the desert floor.

Instant Answers: Madeira Island

• LeifJ's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2012 at 1:03 AM

What about dengue fever? How many on the Island is affected?

Madeira Island Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Madeira Island warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Madeira Island sightseeing.

View all Madeira Island hotels