Ilha de Santa Maria Restaurants

• O Paquete from above - the shape of a ship
    O Paquete from above - the shape of a...

Most Recent Restaurants in Ilha de Santa Maria

O Paquete: Perfectly Located Right on the Beach

by mircaskirca Updated Apr 4, 2011

O Paquete

O Paquete is a bar and restaurant in the shape of a ship, located on a beautiful white sand beach Praia Formosa. It is quite a popular spot among visitors of Santa Maria, as for the visitors of the beach as well for those wishing to have a late night drink. You can get starters, soup, salads, meat, fish and seafood dishes, a great variety of crepes and ice cream, along with a large assortment of drinks, including cocktails.

Favorite Dish: I visited Praia Formosa in the morning of my first day and I immediately liked the relaxed and tranquil feel of the place. It was still early, the sun wasn't too strong yet and there were almost nobody. I enjoyed my ice coffee on a terrace of the bar, with a beautiful sea view.

My second visit was only shortly before I left the island. I had a late lunch and decided for grilled squid. It was accompanied by rice, cooked potatoes, mixed salad (lettuce, tomato, carrot, beetroot and olives) and a slice of lemon. A glass of cold beer was the best thing I could think of on a hot day, and I had a chocolate/caramel ice cream and a cup of coffee to complete the lunch. All together it was 12€. I was quite happy with my meal, as well with the service.

• Beer Tasting

Paderia: Breads and Pastries

by mircaskirca Updated Jul 19, 2009

my breakfast: pastel de coco, orange juice, coffee

It is not common to serve breakfast in the restaurants of Vila do Porto. So I went to a supermarket in front of Valentina's house to buy some bread, cheese, fruit and water. I happily found there was also a bakery with a few tables where local people were buying fresh bread and pastries for their breakfast. Others enjoyed their morning cup of coffee while having a chat with a neighbour. The atmosphere was relaxed, it seemed that they all knew each other.

The smell of freshly baked breads and pastries filled the place and my body called for a strong coffee.

Favorite Dish: Pastel de coco, orange juice and a cup of coffee was a good breakfast and it was only 2,40€.

O Grota: Fresh Fish and Seafood

by mircaskirca Updated Jul 16, 2009

my lunch

Restaurants are quite limited on Santa Maria so you have to be prepared that you won't find it in every village. It was already an early afternoon when I reached Maia. Soon after I descended to the coast I sighted a little restaurant O Grota. Some drops of rain started to fall, so it seemed just a perfect time for a lunch break.

The Azores offer an amazing variety of fish dishes, including swordfish, sea bass, cherne and parrot fish, and wonderful seafood - lobster, crab, mussels, lapas, cracas, squid and octopus - all freshly caught. The islands maintain a culinary style from the time of Portuguese settlers. Grilled fish and rich fish stews are especially delicious.

Favorite Dish: I had grilled cherne (wreckfish) which was served with cooked potatoes, mixed salad (lettuce, tomato, pepper and olives) and a slice of lemon. I rinsed the meal with locally produced wine vinho de cheiro and had a cup of black coffee after lunch.

The food was freshly made and very tasty, and I paid 14€ for everything.

• Wine Tasting

Instant Answers: Ilha de Santa Maria

Comments

Ilha de Santa Maria Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Ilha de Santa Maria restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ilha de Santa Maria sightseeing.

View all Ilha de Santa Maria hotels