Ilha de São Miguel Restaurants

• Restaurants
    by Avieira67
    Mixed meat served with fruit
    by Avieira67
    Restaurant 4 platanos.
    by cachaseiro

Most Recent Restaurants in Ilha de São Miguel

Café Canto do Cais: Taditional Food

by Avieira67 Updated Apr 13, 2014

I was used to visit this restaurant, but it was not popular among locals. Nowadays, can be a problem to find a free table on the week-ends without booking in advance.
    They offer a selected menu of fish and meat, but I advise you to ask for mixed grilled fish and mixed grilled meat. These dishes are served with salad, potatoes, yam and fruit salad. They charge 12.50 EUR and is more than enough for 2 people.
    Last Friday I went here to please a cousin of mine, who came to the Island for just a week. To tell you the truth I have idea the food was better than nowadays, but it is still tasty. My mixed fish dish came without sweet potato nor yam.
    To drink, you can order our regional wines, especially from Pico Island or, why not, a local beer.
    I was unhappy when I asked for rice pudding, one of my favoutire desserts, and they did not have it. Well, they advised me bean pudding and it was really tasty.
    The ambience remains the same. They have long tables and we have a seat on a long bench. I believe this is not comfortable for some people, but this is like a traditional taberna. Who comes here expects to find, exactly, this ambience. Anyway, in my opinion, some renovations are needed.
    The owner, Mr. Eleutério Cabral, is a polite gentleman who likes to talk to his clients.

This restaurant is open daily.

Favorite Dish: Mixed grilled fish served with yam, potatoes, sweet potatoes, salad and fruit.

Café Concerto Red Hot: Japanese Food / Rodízio Grill

by Avieira67 Updated Mar 1, 2014

The restaurante-bar Casa Velha was, for a long time, the only place on the Island where Japanese food was available. Because of this, we couldn't compare quality with other local Japanese restaurants. Here it was my first experience with this kind of food, and I liked a lot, not only the food, but also the ambience.
    Nowadays, real Japanese food is no longer available at this place. At a time, the cooker has moved to Café Concerto Red Hot at Portas do Mar, in Ponta Delgada, but nowadays he doesn't work anymore at his modern and comfortable bar-restaurant. It seems this bar offers Japanese food, but I really don't know about the quality.
    By the way, Red Hot is specialized in Rodízio grill, a dish you shouldn't miss if you appreciate authentic Brazilian food.

Open Everyday
    Lunch
    12:00 - 15:00
    Dinner
    19:00 - 23:00

This restaurant closed its doors recentely.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

4 Platanos.: Brilliant roadside restaurant.

by cachaseiro Written Oct 19, 2011

Restaurant 4 platanos.

4 Platanos is a really nice restaurnat.
    It´s located by the small village Santo Antonio, right on the main road.
    It´s located on a hill and has a fantastic seaview.
    The place is both a restaurant and a cafe and it has a pooltable down the basement that the local youth often use.
    There is also free wifi and quite a few local business men stop by for a coffee cause they can check their mail there.
    The food is local and really nice.
    I have eaten there several times and always been extremely happy.
    They do really good codfish and they also have some extremely good local cheese.
    4 Platanos is probaply my favorite restaurant on Sao Miguel island.

Favorite Dish: Theri codfish totally rock.

Restaurante Pérola do Oceano: Try Fresh Grilled Fish

by Avieira67 Updated Oct 5, 2010

Dona Jorgina, the owner and the coocker, is a great specialist. She knows the secrets of the Azorean and Portuguese cuisines. Unfortunately, she doesn't speak English at all, but she is really very kind.
    Booking in advance will possibilit you to taste delicious meals such as alcatra, codfish and octopus cooked in many ways, leitão à Bairrada, and also international cuisine. Without booking, usually three fish an three meat dishes are available.

Água de Pau village is located 17km away from Ponta Delgada.

Favorite Dish: I appreciated a lot grilled fish and liver (iscas de fígado).
    You must try the liqueurs, waterfires and the soups.
    You will not be disapointed!

Café Mar e Sol: Meeting Point of the Local People

local guy we talked to

We quite like Ribeira Quente so after having a drink in a bar on Praia do Fogo and taking a walk along the seafront we decided to have another drink in a local bar along the sea. Café Mar e Sol is a some kind of meeting point of the local people, mostly men. They use to come here to watch a broadcast of a football game or just have a drink or two with their fellows. The place is rather small but pleasant, the walls are nicely decorated with azulejos. There are also two tables with chairs in front of the bar. We liked the ambience from the first moment so we ended up staying much longer than we planned.

Later we were invited to visit a local guy's house which he was going to sell. We meet his wife and have a glass of wine with them. It was also the day of a local festivity with food, drink and music, and this was the last stop before heading back to Ponta Delgada.

Favorite Dish: Beer or vinho de cheiro, local red wine, are the main drinks here. We had two glasses of wine and a portion of caracóis (tiny sea snails) which are very popular in Portuguese cuisine. They are served in local taverns as snack, usually stewed with the mixture of white wine, garlic, chili, oregano and coriander or parsley. Oh yum!!

• Beer Tasting

Bar on Praia do Fogo: Cold Drink with a Sea View

tremo��os and caipirinha

On the way from Furnas to Ponta Delgada we made a stop in Ribeira Quente, a small fishing village. The village received its name as water in some areas is warm due to underwater volcanic activity. It has an excellent beach Praia do Fogo with a nice bar. The day was slowly coming to its end so the beach was empty. There was a sensation of tranquility and we could hear the sea waves below. We found it a good place to chill out with a cold drink after a long day on the road.

Favorite Dish: António had a beer and I decided for caipirinha, Brazil's national cocktail, made with cachaça (Brazil's liquor made from sugarcane), sugar and lime. In this case, it was prepared with a lemon instead of lime. We found tremoços, Azorean lupini beans, a good snack to accompany the cold drinks.

• Beer Tasting
    • Beaches

Festa do São João da Vila: Street Restaurant

lapas (limpets)

After a couple of hours of wandering the streets of Vila Franca do Campo and then continuing along the seaside, I thought I would need a short break. It was already an early afternoon, so just perfect for a late lunch. There were only a few restaurants in town so I would have to look for them. Then I came across this 'street restaurant' (which had no name) and I immediately liked it. It was placed here only for the week of Festa do São João da Vila.

The restaurant had a long bar where you order and there are a few tables and chairs where you can enjoy your meal. I liked the idea of small leaves with the names of the dishes and drinks (with prices) pinned on the wooden back wall of the bar. It seemed to be a family-run place and the staff were very friendly. It was not very common to come here during the day and I was actually the only guest. The service was quite good, they even delivered food to my table. But then I returned a few days later, in the evening, when it was full and it looked completely different. Since it was the last day of the festivity, they had already run short of most of my favourite dishes.

Favorite Dish: As a starter I had lapas grelhadas (grilled limpets (limpets) with spicy sauce. The dish was served with a lemon. For the main dish I choose camarões (shrimp). They were cooked in its own sauce with only a little of tomato and fresh parsley. I rinsed the food with two glasses of vinho de cheiro, local red wine. I was very satisfied with my meal. Everything was well prepared and tested really delicious!

• Festivals

Águas Quentes: Caldeirada de Bacalhau das Furnas

caldeirada de bacalhau das Furnas

We had one whole day for Furnas Valley and planned to be by the lake around lunch time to have the famous dish cooked inside the geysers. The ground is very hot here and two regional dishes are cooked in in a hole in the ground at a steaming volcanic hot spring for about seven hours: cozido das Furnas (meat stew with vegetables) and caldeirada de bacalhau das Furnas (codfish stew with vegetables).

By the lake, next to geysers, you'll find a huge tent with several restaurants serving the famous dishes. It usually gets quite busy during lunch time but we were lucky to get a free table in Águas Quentes. Though I don't think there is a big difference between those restaurants.

At the entrance to a dining area local women sell traditional sweets, cakes and liqueurs made from pineapple and passion fruit. While leaving, we wanted to buy some for dessert, and there we accidently met a nice Portuguese couple Susana and Vitor (they were in Azores on their honeymoon), whom we had met before in Sete Cidades. António invited them to come to a visit to his house the next day.

Favorite Dish: We had caldeirada de bacalhau nas caldeiras das Furnas (codfish stew with potatoes, carrots and green & red pepper). It was accompanied by a bottle of red wine from the island. We enjoyed the delicious dish in these magnificent surroundings, it was quite an experience!

• Eco-Tourism

Casa de Pasto Flôr: Lunch with the Locals

dining with locals

Casa de pasto is a term used in Portugal for a place that offers lunch and dinner, a mix between a pub and restaurant. During the day they serve light meals accompanied by wine or beer.

Casa de pasto Flôr is centrally located, just a few steps from the attractive Town Hall. Entering the place you come to the bar, dining room is behind. Dining room is rather small and the decoration quite simple. There are a few tables covered with red & white tableclothes and pictures of Portugal regional football teams decorate the walls. It is very common for casas de pasto in Portugal (including the Azores) to have TV and during our visit most of the visitors watched it while waiting for the food.

They offer a variety of local dishes and the menu changes daily. Though there are always a few seafood and a few meat dishes to choose from. When we visited there were eight dishes on the menu, costed from 4 - 6 €.

Favorite Dish: António was so hungry that he ordered two dishes: torresmos de vinho d'alhos com inhame (pork cooked in wine with yum) and bacalhau com grão de bico (codfish with chickpea). I had my favourite polvo guisado (octopus cooked in wine with potato) which was delicious.

Each dish was 6 €. We shared a jug of vinho de cheiro, local red wine. Including bread and coffee, the bill came to 22€. That's not bad for two persons!

Casa de Pasto José do Rêgo: Regional Specialities

by mircaskirca Updated Sep 6, 2009

polvo guisado em vinho de cheiro

Casa de pasto José do Rêgo is a nice restaurant in Lagoa, just a short drive from Ponta Delgada. It offers all kinds of shellfish, fish, octopus, squid, meat dishes and delicious desserts, such as three flavours mousse, queijadas (traditional dessert, popular in Portugal and especially in the Azores), passion fruit pudding and colchão de noiva (another traditional dessert). We came here mostly for cracas (barnacles), a shellfish typical for the Azores, though not easy to find in the restaurants.

Once a simple local place serving typical Azorean dishes, Casa de pasto José Rêgo has been recently renovated. The dining room is quite big compared to other places I visited on the island. Walls are white and bright green and in the combination with tiles and wood make it a pleasantly cool ambience. Service was good and the waiter explained everything about the dishes and desserts.

The restaurant is open from 9am to midnight.

Favorite Dish: It was in fact my farewell lunch so I wanted to be somehow special. We had cracas as starter which I tried for the first time and found them absolutely delicious!! As the main course António chose lulas grelhadas (grilled squid) and I went for my last and favourite octopus, polvo a casa (octopus cooked in wine with potato) which tasted... ah, heavenly!! It was the most delicious I had during my stay on the island.

Each dish was 10 € and cracas 4,25 €. Including water, a glass of beer and a glass of wine, two coffees and colchão de noiva, the bill came to 29 €. I think that's a very reasonable price for such a great meal.

Café Restaurante Debbie: Traditional Food

by mircaskirca Updated Sep 5, 2009

chicharros fritos com molho de vil��o

There aren't many restaurants in Nordeste so you better inform yourself before. We made a short tea break on the way and the guy in the bar recommended two places with good local food for reasonable price. We chose Debbie as we were just in the area around lunch time.

Located in Achada, after passing the Parque Natural da Ribeira das Caldeirões and the waterfall, Debbie is a local restaurant with traditional Azorean food. The decoration is simple, the colours that predominate are white and blue: white walls and tables covered with blue tableclothes and decorated with blue hydrangeas, national flower of the Azores. There is a bar attached to the restaurant.

The place was ok but we got a little upset about the service. Though we were only a few people in the restaurant, we had to wait almost an hour for the food.

Favorite Dish: António had a dish with pork liver, served with rice and salad, and I finally got the opportunity to try chicharros fritos com molho de vilão. In former times this tiny fish was regarded as food of the poor since it was very cheap and eaten almost daily for lunch. Chicharros (horse mackerel) are corn-coated and fried crispy so that you can eat the whole fish, spines and all. If they are a little too big you might need to remove the main spine.

The fish came with cooked potato and French beans, and decorated with strips of red pepper. Molho de vilão sauce is made with wine (or vinegar), garlic, pepper and saffron and was served separately. We shared a jug of vinho de cheiro, local red wine, and completed the meal with a coffee in the bar. Though I don't eat fried food, it was worth making an exception and taste this once traditional Azorean dish.

José do Rego: Try barnacles

by Avieira67 Written Jul 7, 2009

Not anymore the real typical restaurant I was used to visit long time ago.
    Service is still good, but prices are rising and the ambience is like a normal restaurant.

Favorite Dish: I was looking for the cheapest place to eat barnacles, and I have found it here.
    Barnacles were really good!

Restaurante Borda d' Água: Maybe the best place to eat fish

by Avieira67 Updated Mar 20, 2009

The ambience in this regional restaurant is not very special, but seafood is served in a special way. As the Port is at the corner, they use always fresh fish from the ocean.
    Usually, seafood is served with local products, such as pickled onions / peppers, salty peppers, yam...
    For dessert, try our pineapple produced in greenhouses!

• joserosa's Profile Photo

Restaurante Miroma: The famous "cozido das Furnas"

by joserosa Written Sep 22, 2006

Furna's Lake

In São Miguel Island, a volcanic Island, we can find this restaurant in Furnas's Village. Near this village we can feel and see the volcanic fluids jumping on the ground. The soil trembles and hot smokes climb up arounf our faces. Local restaurant's cookers put the food in pans and bags in order to be boiled. It takes seven hours to cook. The final result is delicious. They cook meat and fish. They cook all foods in those natural boilers. See my photos. It's an unique experience in all world.In Furnas ask for the location of RESTAURANTE MIROMA.phur

Favorite Dish: It's natural that the food may present a sulphur taste if the pans were not firmly closed. But here in MIROMA it doesn't happens. The taste is allways good. Try the COZIDO, pork meat, beef, sausages, borecoles, carrots and so on, all together in a delicious meal... Or the boiled codfish...or...I must stop, I'm already with hunger and homesicknesses of this wonderful place... You have to try it...

• National/State Park