Ponta Delgada Restaurants

Boiled Shrimps at Tasca, Ponta Delgada
    by SWFC_Fan

Best Rated Restaurants in Ponta Delgada

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Restaurante Sao Pedro.: Cosy restaurant with good food.

by cachaseiro Written May 1, 2012

Restaurante Sao Pedro is a small restaurant right next to the church with the same name.
    It´s a cosy little place with a homey atmosphere and very friendly waiting staff.
    I have eaten there a few times and the food is quite good.
    The dishes are typically azoran and there is a lot of fish on the menu, but they have some nice beef dishes too that i have tried.
    The place can be quite busy so it can be a good idea to reserve a table as the place is often full.

Favorite Dish: Personally i think they do a really good swordfish at the Sao Pedro restaurant.
    Swordfish is called "espadarte" in portugese by the way.

Restaurante Sao Pedro in Ponta Delgada.
    • Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

Restaurante O Museu: Traditional Tasty Food

by Avieira67 Updated Jan 23, 2015

I wanted to please a friend of mine from the mainland Portugal who came to the Island. My colleagues advised me this restaurant.
    We have found here a good ambience and service provided by a great staff. In fact, just for these two qualities I recommend you to visit this place.
    The waiter advised us a meat and a fish dish. They were Bife de vaca à regional, cow steak made with local wine and red pepper, and Bife de albacora, grilled tuna. We were not disappointed with the choice.
    The meat dish was served with a fried egg, salad and rice / fried potato; the fish came along with salad, beans, yam and potato. Both dishes were delicious.
    To drink, we ordered white wine Frei Gigante from Pico Island. For dessert, it was our traditional tea pudding and local pineapple.
    This restaurant offers a good selection of regional dishes and wines.

It is closed on Tuesday.

Bife de vaca �� regional Bife de albacora Pudim de ch�� & anan��s

Restaurante Vaca Louca: Buffet

by Avieira67 Updated Apr 27, 2014

This is a good restaurant to have a reasonable buffet for cheap, especially from Monday to Friday(€6.5). Drinks and desserts are not inclued in the price.
    They have a variety of cold and hot dishes, including pork and cow meat, fish and vegetables.

This restaurant is temporarily closed!

Favorite Dish: Celery and chick pea salad.

• Katya42's Profile Photo

Mariserra: Freshest Seafood from the Atlantic

by Katya42 Written Mar 7, 2013

Mariserra serves fantastic fresh fish, all grilled, and their desserts are exceptional as well. They are located a bit out of the way, a good hour's hike from the center of Ponta Delgada or a ten-minute taxi ride, but it's well worth the fare, because the fish is delicious and the views are amazing - you are seated right above the beach and can watch the ocean waves break while you work on your shrimp and pineapple salad.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Casa Açoreana: Nice food...but overpriced (in my opinion!)

by SWFC_Fan Written Oct 11, 2014

We ate at Casa Açoreana late on a Monday evening during our visit to Ponta Delgada in September 2014.

We had picked up a promotional leaflet for the restaurant while we were in the tourist information office and it sounded like a good place to sample local Azorean cuisine. In fact, it turned out to be more upmarket, expensive and, in my opinion, overpriced than we had expected.

Casa Açoreana is located on Rua Hintz Ribeiro, a side street close to Sao Sebastiao Church in the heart of the town centre.

When we arrived at the restaurant it wasn't very busy. Only a couple of the tables in the large dining room were occupied. In fairness, we arrived late in the evening (shortly before 10:00pm), so it may have been busier earlier.

The dining room was fairly smart, with dark wooden tables laid out with wine glasses, and there were several decorative supporting pillars formed from black volcanic rock. From our table we could see into the open kitchen with its impressive wood-fired oven.

The menu predominantly featured seafood (octopus, shrimps and various types of fish) and meat dishes (particularly steaks, veal and pork).

I started with:

Soup of the Day (Tomato) - €2.20

I was disappointed to learn that the Soup of the Day was tomato and not local Caldo Verde (cabbage soup) or fish soup. The soup came in a ceramic mug that had been hand painted with the restaurant's name. We saw these being produced during a tour of the local ceramics factory the following day. The soup itself was nice enough; it was hot, tasty and, as well as tomato, contained small pieces of pasta.

For my main, I had wanted to order the Fried Blue Jack Mackerels, which the menu described as being "the most popular dish of the Azorean Gastronomy". It proved to be too popular and they had run out of them on that particular evening. So instead, I ordered:

Bacalhau a Lagareiro - €14.50

I have tried several versions of bacalhau (codfish) during my visits to the Portuguese mainland and have always enjoyed them. This dish consisted of a lovely piece of codfish cooked in garlic and olive oil and served with four small baked potatoes and a small side salad of lettuce, grated carrot, onions and tomato. There was plenty of flaky white cod and it was easy to pick around the bones. It was a nice meal, but there wasn't a huge amount of it and I was left feeling hungry. I expected more (at least in terms of quantity, if not quality) for the price.

Emma opted for:

Veal Skewered with Bacon and Pineapple - €16.50

This meal was served hanging from a metal skewer and it looked impressive. The veal pieces were very tender (like small pieces of steak) and were joined on the skewer by large chunks of gammon and slices of Azorean pineapple. Emma's only complaint was that the pineapple didn't seem to be ripe. It was served with french fries and salad. Although Emma enjoyed her meal, like me she was left feeling hungry. Good quality food, but not much of it for the price.

If the mains had seemed overpriced, the desserts seemed even more so!

I ordered:

Pineapple - €4.00

I had enjoyed the Azorean pineapples (grown in glass houses on Sao Miguel island) so far during our trip. At €4.00 I expected this dessert to be more than just a slice of pineapple. In a sense it was; it was a solitary slice of pineapple decorated with three pineapple leaves! It wasn't even particularly good pineapple. Like the pineapple on Emma's meat skewer, it didn't seem to be ripe and juicy.

Emma ordered:

Pineapple Dream - €3.80

Not as exciting as it sounded. It was pineapple mousse with a few pieces of the same unripe pineapple that I received. Not good value for money at all.

To drink, I had a medium draft local Especial Beer (€3.20) which was served in a ceramic mug to keep it chilled. It was about three times more expensive than I'd have paid elsewhere. Emma had a small bottle of mineral water (€1.00) and a cup of Gorreana Green Tea (€1.30) – tea produced at the tea plantation on Sao Miguel island.

Our bill was presented in a small wooden "Casa Açoreana" model house. As quirky as it was, it didn't distract us from how much we had paid, or from the fact that we had eaten a more enjoyable meal at "Tasca" (see separate review) for half the price.

Our main courses were very nice, but left us feeling hungry and short changed for the price we had paid. Skip the desserts - €4 for a slice of unripe pineapple!? We wouldn't visit Casa Açoreana again if we returned to Ponta Delgada.

Casa A��oreana, Ponta Delgada Casa A��oreana, Ponta Delgada Bacalhau a Lagareiro at Casa A��oreana Veal skewered with bacon & pineapple,Casa A��oreana Pineapple (���4 a slice!!) at Casa A��oreana

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Pink Snack Bar: Traditional liqueurs...and bifanas!

by SWFC_Fan Written Oct 11, 2014

We visited Pink Snack Bar one evening during our stay in Ponta Delgada in September 2014.

This simple snack bar, located on the main seafront road of Rua Avenida Infante D. Henrique, serves a selection of sandwiches, burgers and waffles with ice cream. Its speciality would seem to be the "bifana" – a popular pork steak sandwich – and indeed the pink canopy that covers the outdoor tables bears the message "A Rainha das Bifanas" (The Queen of Bifanas).

We hadn't visited for food though. We had ventured inside having seen a sign advertising traditional liqueurs for €1 per shot.

The liqueurs were displayed on the bar and featured a selection of flavoured liqueurs (pineapple, banana, blackberry, passionfruit, cinnamon, honey, aniseed...), cream liqueurs and brandies, all produced at the island's Mulher de Capote factory.

We would be visiting this liqueur factory the following day as part of an island tour, so this was an ideal opportunity to sample a few of their products and decide which ones we wanted to purchase. A bit of research, if you like. That's what we told ourselves anyway!

We started with shots of the very sweet passionfruit liqueur, which was nice, and then moved onto the cream liqueurs. The waitress recommended the Arroz Doce (rice pudding) flavour, which was delicious, especially after sprinkling cinnamon on top of it. We finished with a smooth Baileys-like caramel cream liqueur.

A great seafront cafe offering traditional liqueurs...and bifanas.

Pink Snack Bar, Ponta Delgada Traditional liqueurs - ���1 at Pink Snack Bar Liqueurs at Pink Snack Bar, Ponta Delgada Liqueurs at Pink Snack Bar, Ponta Delgada Arroz Doce (rice pudding) liqueur @ Pink Snack Bar

• kaloz's Profile Photo

Café Central: Watch the world go by

by kaloz Written Feb 17, 2015

"Breakfast & Brunch Restaurant · Ice Cream Parlor · Beer Garden" is that listed in the choices, I always have trouble deciding the appropriate theme on VT.

One of the overlooked joys of travel is to sit in the plaza with friends and have some coffee or beer and let the world go past. Do a little people watching. I had a Belgian friend who chastised, "You Americans you rush rush rush to see everything, and you miss everything."

Favorite Dish: You know that you are in Europe when your only choices are a small coffee or a large beer (well, much of Europe). In France it is wine or small coffee, and in Italy you can get a Pellegrino. Still in many places drinking water or soda are a rarity. My choice: I had both, the little coffee first, and then the large beer.

Little Coffee Big Beer
    • Study Abroad
    • Cruise

• Zirpsis's Profile Photo

Restaurante São Pedro: A better place to dine

by Zirpsis Updated Feb 29, 2008

You'd better make a reservation if you want to dine at this restaurant for it's very popular. The style is long white table cloths, if you see what I mean. The service was very friendly.

Favorite Dish: We had steaks of beef and shark (see pictures). The price level was rather high and for that money we would have expected more tender beef steaks. The shark was tender though and swimming in butter. For dessert I had fruit lasagne, which was simply a variety of cut fruits in layers. Very light and fresh and yummy (sorry no pic).

Coffee beans on steak Shark steak

• Avieira67's Profile Photo

Tabacaria Açoriana: Taste the sweet "Margarida"

by Avieira67 Written Feb 24, 2005

A good place to look for national and international magazines and newspapers.
    Here they serve light meals with very good quality.

Favorite Dish: I like very much the sweet Margarida.

Margarida

Restaurante Arriba: Restaurante Mexicano

by Avieira67 Updated Jul 23, 2006

Here is the only place where you can eat mexican food!
    Service and price are reasonable.
    Usually you need to book in advance.

Instant Answers: Ponta Delgada

Comments

Ponta Delgada Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Ponta Delgada restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ponta Delgada sightseeing.

View all Ponta Delgada hotels